Sponsored

Wilwood or GT350

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
So I'm looking at upgrading my brakes. I don't street the car all that often anymore, so performance on track is my main priority. Basically the Wilwood Aero6 15" front and Aero4 14" rear can be had for around the same price as the GT350 4 wheel conversion. My only issue with the GT350 route is the need to change my wheels for fitment. My current track wheels are 18's, and I believe they will clear the Wilwoods. If the GT350's significantly outperform the Wilwoods I suppose the wheel upgrade would be acceptable, but I really would prefer to stick with my 18's. Does anyone have experience with either of these setups that can provide some insight?
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Do you plan on using the emergency brake ever? If so, don't think the Aero6 have a parking brake option that will work for our cars. Could be wrong.

If you went with Wilwood front and GT350 rear, think you can keep your parking brakes and 18" wheels. If I recall, someone checked that the rear GT350 brakes fit stock GT wheels, it was the front that needed more room.

Change of topic, what 18" wheels do you have?

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
I do plan on using the parking brake and from my understanding the Aero4's for the rear have a separate mechanical parking brake that will work. I've been looking for info but according to FTB and Ford the wheels will not fit. If the rears will fit like you say, that would be awesome. Any chance you have that thread saved anywhere?

Right now I am running Apex EC-7's 18x9.5's but am set on buying their 18x11's in the same wheel once I figure out the situation with the brakes.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Call FTB. I did a search and didnt find it. Think it may have been on a different forum.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
GT350 brakes all day long. If you wanted to go aftermarket I'd only reccomend AP Racing from GT350Brakes on here or the Stoptech BBK kit.

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I run the Wilwood brakes produced for Shelby models and they are the same fronts and rears. The fronts are the Aerolite 6R with 15" rotors and the rears are the Aerolite 4R with 14" rotors. The rears do have parking mechanisms and works just fine without issues. The setup is real nice, but the install is much more tedious than the GT350 Brembos. The parking brake cable wiring is a little tough to route and good luck with reusing the OEM cable mounts. I ended up using aftermarket cable mounts to route them in. Hope this helps and feel free to ask me anything about them.

I am running 20" wheels and not sure if they will fit 18, but it may because the front runs approximately 17" in total diameter from caliper to the opposite end of the rotor. The rear runs approximately 16.5". Below are some pictures of them and my recommendation, go GT350. Easy conversion and less headache as I was going to get the Full Tilt Boogie kit, but got an sweet offer on the Wilwoods at the time lol.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I run the Wilwood brakes produced for Shelby models and they are the same fronts and rears. The fronts are the Aerolite 6R with 15" rotors and the rears are the Aerolite 4R with 14" rotors. The rears do have parking mechanisms and works just fine without issues. The setup is real nice, but the install is much more tedious than the GT350 Brembos. The parking brake cable wiring is a little tough to route and good luck with reusing the OEM cable mounts. I ended up using aftermarket cable mounts to route them in. Hope this helps and feel free to ask me anything about them.

I am running 20" wheels and not sure if they will fit 18, but it may because the front runs approximately 17" in total diameter from caliper to the opposite end of the rotor. The rear runs approximately 16.5". Below are some pictures of them and my recommendation, go GT350. Easy conversion and less headache as I was going to get the Full Tilt Boogie kit, but got an sweet offer on the Wilwoods at the time lol.

What aftermarket mounts did you use, thinking of doing mine.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What aftermarket mounts did you use, thinking of doing mine.
What mounts are you referring to? The pictures are out of date as of late. I am currently running Steeda rear shock mounts with Viking Shocks in the back and the Roush Single Adjustable suspension in the front.

The brake line mounts and entire WilWood setup are all included with the kit. WilWood will provide all the conversion parts for the install including their own steel braided brake line kit and e-brake hardware. The only aftermarket parts I had to get for the WilWood setup were clips for holding the e-brake cables routing from rear brakes to the OE cable connection located next to the driveshaft.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
What mounts are you referring to? The pictures are out of date as of late. I am currently running Steeda rear shock mounts with Viking Shocks in the back and the Roush Single Adjustable suspension in the front.

The brake line mounts and entire WilWood setup are all included with the kit. WilWood will provide all the conversion parts for the install including their own steel braided brake line kit and e-brake hardware. The only aftermarket parts I had to get for the WilWood setup were clips for holding the e-brake cables routing from rear brakes to the OE cable connection located next to the driveshaft.
Sorry, you mentioned this I ended up using aftermarket cable mounts to route them in, what did you end up using.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Sponsored

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Wilwood just released a Road Race Specific kit for the S550, don't know when it is going to be available http://www.turnology.com/news/new-products/wilwood-releases-2015-ford-mustang-road-race-brake-kits/

Caught my eye though because they are 14" instead of the 15" so they are more likely to fit with your 18" wheels
Niceee, the one I have are 15, but they do offer 14 fronts at the moment. http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-13886-DR&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=GT

I wonder if these calipers are smaller to fit the 18 wheels?

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks brotha.
So I encountered my first issue with the Wilwood setup two days ago. I had a small leak at the caliper and fitting where the brake hose connects to. After twisting it more to make it "more tight", it ended up leaking more than before :eyebulge:. So I ordered a new fitting and switched it out to see if it was the fitting. The brake hose was fine and I stuck a 1/8-27 NPT tap into the caliper to check if I was crossed thread and I was not. So it had to be the fitting. Switched it out and still leaking.

I ended up calling Wilwood tech support and they asked if I wrapped teflon tape around the fitting. I did use the liquid teflon paste on the others and they don't leak. Tech said that the liquid ones don't do so well and told me to wrap teflon tape twice around the fitting. Then twist it in tight and make sure the 45 angle end (that connects to brake hose) is pointed upwards for best clearance. I asked if the brake fluid will eat away are the teflon and tech said nope. Told myself :shrug: and tried it. Problem solved and no leak in the last 24 hours. Just wanted to give anyone here a heads up if anyone goes Wilwood route.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up mootang.
Sponsored