Sponsored

Steeda's New Dual Rate Ultimate Handling Springs - (Track Proven Winner!!!)

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question for you guys. What are the recommended alignment specs for cars driven mainly on the street? Stock alignment specs?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Depends at least partly on how enthusiastically you typically drive the corners and how demanding you are that the alignment be set up to best suit that. Mostly that means you can stray a bit from factory preferred with camber while leaving caster at OE and toe " very slightly 'in' ".

This also means if you're a very mild driver and the car sees the vast majority of its miles on the highway you could seriously consider running camber settings that are slightly LESS negative than factory preferred.

Norm

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Great pic from Sebring in action! Sporting 18x11 with 315x30x18 on all four corners!
2017-06-20_02-20-43.jpg 2016.jpg

chris_keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Red
Hmm... So when the inside springs compress again, I assume they will "clunk" like a progressive spring but now more often since it is right there at the cusp of progressive and linear. Is this what has been observed?

Also curious if this is a track only spring or if it has any streetability to them. I have your adjustable shocks, wondering if these springs are too much for the street.

I installed these this weekend. Yes, they "clunk" over certain bumps. If the transition in the road is smooth, springs are quiet. If it is a sudden bump that makes the suspension compress/decompress quickly, it clunks under jounce.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Mine don't clunk. Not on the highway. Not on city streets.
Like wise, they should not clunk at all. Make sure your upper strut mount is torqued properly. Sometimes you have to loosen and re-toque to seat it properly.

chris_keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Red
Like wise, they should not clunk at all. Make sure your upper strut mount is torqued properly. Sometimes you have to loosen and re-toque to seat it properly.
I can try this...but I notice it "chatters" on both sides. I went from the Ultralites to these using Pro Action Fixed dampers.

After I noticed it, I re-jacked the car and re-torqued all bolts. Even went back and checked sway bar main bolts and all end-link connections.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to share a video of the Steeda Team in action, using our Steeda car for product development & winning races at the same time, enjoy!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]IJpSGc-MdL8[/MEDIA]"]

Best Regards,

TJ

chris_keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Red
Ok...so I tried this last night, test drove. Same thing. so, I took the ENTIRE front strut assembly and springs off the car on BOTH sides and re-installed. It made no difference. There is definitive chatter in the front end over sudden changes in road surface (like backing in and out of the driveway or garage where the lip is). Any ideas??

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
Ok...so I tried this last night, test drove. Same thing. so, I took the ENTIRE front strut assembly and springs off the car on BOTH sides and re-installed. It made no difference. There is definitive chatter in the front end over sudden changes in road surface (like backing in and out of the driveway or garage where the lip is). Any ideas??

I just installed these springs, they feel superb on the highway, ride quality is not too harsh compared to stock, I was actually surprised they are so smooth and compliant on the street for DD.

over small bumps at very low speeds I also get a clunk/tuck noise, the same type of clunk a loose sway bay end link makes, but much quieter, retorqued the top strut nut and it didn't help.

when I get my alignment done I will get my guy to loosen then torque all the bushings to the new ride height.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Chris, I see you do not have upgraded shocks & struts.

These are a very high rate springs and the factory shocks and struts are not made to work with them.

Our shocks and struts should be used with these springs, understand it will be a cost to upgrade but wanted to see if you were interested.

Please send me your contact info & we can start the discussion.

TJ

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed these springs, they feel superb on the highway, ride quality is not too harsh compared to stock, I was actually surprised they are so smooth and compliant on the street for DD.

over small bumps at very low speeds I also get a very clunk, the same type of clunk a loose sway bay end link makes, but much quieter, retorqued the top strut nut and it didn't help.

when I get my alignment done I will get my guy to loosen then torque all the bushings to the new ride height.
I received your message & have been working with our install team.

In our opinion, you should first try changing the spring isolator material ... if the problem still persists, we would like to try a different route.

We have your contact info so we will be in touch.

Best Regards,

TJ

TennTex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT-PP
First report after installing all these Steeda parts over a couple weekends...

555 8139 Steeda S550 Mustang Camber Plates (15-17 All)
555 8152 Steeda S550 Mustang Billet Rear Shock Mount - 12mm Rear Shocks (15-17 All)
555 8154 Steeda Dust Covers For Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks And Struts (2015+)
555 1017 Steeda Mustang Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit (15-17)
555 4445 Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Bumpstop Kit
555 4440 Steeda S550 Mustang Race Differential Bushing Insert System - Aluminum (15-17 GT/EcoBoost)
555 4450 Steeda S550 Subframe Alignment and Support kit
555 2409 Steeda S550 Mustang Track Suspension Package (15-17)
555 1040 Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Front Swaybar Endlinks *

During the installation, I found one of my front stock endlinks was bent, apparently all too common, so I went back and purchased the Steeda adjustable endlinks to complete the install.

Installation comments:
- Not difficult, but just took a while working on the floor! Biggest issue was torqueing the struts while holding the top with a wrench. The size difference between 11mm and 22mm is just too much to make this easy.

- After seeing lots of ideas online, I would up using a 22mm with a wrench slot, but too hard to hold it with an 11mm wrench (w/ help). So, I used the cut-out to use a 1" wrench to torque the outside nut via the 22mm socket, with a 3/8" extension wrench passing up the socket so I could hold the 11mm nut securely.

Driving feel:
- I have not taken it for an alignment yet, just did a shakedown drive and one commute day, but...

- No strange noises, clunks, or anything! I did have some expected whine from the differential with the Alum bushings, but nothing too bad. (Note my back seats are completely out also.)

- The springs did not seem that harsh to me, and it reminded me of my previous Shelby GT setup (basically a stock GT with Ford Racing springs/shocks, etc.)

* One question for Steeda. When getting aggressive (high rpms), I did notice some exhaust smell in the car. (My wife's car is a Ford Explorer Sport with the exhaust issue through the A/C, so I know too much about this...) But that smell is more like sulfur, the smell in the Mustang was more like "raw exhaust". Ever heard of this on track cars? I also haven't search the forums for this yet...

Looking forward to getting it aligned, and out on track this fall!

Thanks Steeda for a nice package!
Steve

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Hello Chris, I see you do not have upgraded shocks & struts.

These are a very high rate springs and the factory shocks and struts are not made to work with them.

Our shocks and struts should be used with these springs, understand it will be a cost to upgrade but wanted to see if you were interested.

Please send me your contact info & we can start the discussion.

TJ
May go this route with my Koni yellows(pro action adjusts weren't out yet). Have eibach profit now. Any other pics of this setup on an EBM?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
First report after installing all these Steeda parts over a couple weekends...

555 8139 Steeda S550 Mustang Camber Plates (15-17 All)
555 8152 Steeda S550 Mustang Billet Rear Shock Mount - 12mm Rear Shocks (15-17 All)
555 8154 Steeda Dust Covers For Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks And Struts (2015+)
555 1017 Steeda Mustang Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit (15-17)
555 4445 Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Bumpstop Kit
555 4440 Steeda S550 Mustang Race Differential Bushing Insert System - Aluminum (15-17 GT/EcoBoost)
555 4450 Steeda S550 Subframe Alignment and Support kit
555 2409 Steeda S550 Mustang Track Suspension Package (15-17)
555 1040 Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Front Swaybar Endlinks *

During the installation, I found one of my front stock endlinks was bent, apparently all too common, so I went back and purchased the Steeda adjustable endlinks to complete the install.

Installation comments:
- Not difficult, but just took a while working on the floor! Biggest issue was torqueing the struts while holding the top with a wrench. The size difference between 11mm and 22mm is just too much to make this easy.

- After seeing lots of ideas online, I would up using a 22mm with a wrench slot, but too hard to hold it with an 11mm wrench (w/ help). So, I used the cut-out to use a 1" wrench to torque the outside nut via the 22mm socket, with a 3/8" extension wrench passing up the socket so I could hold the 11mm nut securely.

Driving feel:
- I have not taken it for an alignment yet, just did a shakedown drive and one commute day, but...

- No strange noises, clunks, or anything! I did have some expected whine from the differential with the Alum bushings, but nothing too bad. (Note my back seats are completely out also.)

- The springs did not seem that harsh to me, and it reminded me of my previous Shelby GT setup (basically a stock GT with Ford Racing springs/shocks, etc.)

* One question for Steeda. When getting aggressive (high rpms), I did notice some exhaust smell in the car. (My wife's car is a Ford Explorer Sport with the exhaust issue through the A/C, so I know too much about this...) But that smell is more like sulfur, the smell in the Mustang was more like "raw exhaust". Ever heard of this on track cars? I also haven't search the forums for this yet...

Looking forward to getting it aligned, and out on track this fall!

Thanks Steeda for a nice package!
Steve
I think the exhaust smell is due to driving the car more aggressively with your new Steeda parts and your lack of interior components.

Nothing you added will add exhaust smell to the car - hopefully, that helps!

Best Regards,

TJ
Sponsored