2018 Challenger Scat Pack
so roughly 5 out of 5 users are android users in the US
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I want to gauge what platform we use so that I can get an idea if I should develop my application for Android as well as iOS.

My application is called CalculatE85, it's a very straightforward E85 calculator that will save everything you input and only takes a couple of taps next time you use it. Should be a big help for those of us who mix fuels :D It's currently available for iOS devices, but I want to get some idea of the user base before I dive into Android as well.

App Store
Twitter
Instagram
I also develop software... the obvious answer is you do both... that makes the most sense.

My personal phone is IOS...

For email/work duties I use a Blackberry Q10 (I know, I know... love the keyboard though).

Best phone, IMO, is Windows Phone... own several of those but don't do much with them these days... outside of using as Groove players. :mad:

Tested android for 6 months or so this year... sold the android phone. Might get another one with a finger print reader (first one did not have a fp reader and it sucked).

But I don't care about all of that... whatever makes money or whatever could get seen by the most people would be my choice.... Android and IOS....

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I might have bumped into the version target issue with iOS. Currently, customers would need iOS v10 or higher. At least Android studio tells you the percentage of users will be able to run your app. I'll need to look up some stats on what versions iOS users are running.

I've been really impressed with Apple's development experience. The only part I didn't like is that they have so many different versions of Swift that every time you search stack overflow, there's basically 3 or so different answers to how to do something! :headbonk:
For iPhone (vs. inclusion of iPad), you'd be fine going iOS 10, note the second image of the device breakdown (and % adoption, i.e., the ~89% iOS10 stat if refactored to iPhone 7, 6S and 6)

If you were developing an app as a business, I'd say that marketshare is _very_ misleading, it doesn't factor in tendency to purchase (including IAPs), app usage, retention, etc., but since you're targeting a very specific set of users, based on this thread, I'd toss a coin :D

Most of us devs didn't explore using Swift in any kind of production scenario until at least Swift 3, in fact, I worked on a new app in early 2016, went with Obj-C - I'm starting a new app, ground up re-design of an existing product, using Swift this go :cool:
Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 5.27.07 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 5.32.56 PM.jpg
Sponsored