GT PP2 or gt350 or SS1LE

OP
OP

Ccase4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro 2SS, 2015 Sierra 1500
I say GT350 for several reasons. While those are all very nice cars you mentioned, the GT350 is the only one of the bunch that is gonna hold its value over time. Its the enthusiasts choice because it has that FPC motor. You will most likely not see any on the road so it will be more exclusive. Looks different from the run of the mill mustangs. Its already setup from the factory. To me, its a no brainer. Sometime next year, I, too, will be looking at getting back into a V8 sports car with the vette and GT350, ZL1 at the top of my list. Been driving my Raptor for over 5yrs straight and miss driving a manual tranny sports car.
Were in the same boat man. I had a vette in mind but im thinking a 350 might be more fun. the zl1s are awesome too just a bit to pricy for me.
Sponsored

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Yeah i really like the M2 i drove it great car but it just doesnt do it for me like a american V8 does.
Yeah, I'm waiting til my first round of RSU's vest next year. So depending on value, and my tax returns, is going to determine what I'll buy or if I'll be patient and keep saving my shekels.

OP
OP

Ccase4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyone wanna buy a 2014 ducati hypermotard it will make my mind up on which one to pull the trigger on .

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
I really enjoy my GT350. If you can get a new one at MSRP or used 17 at a fair price, then I'd say go for it.

Although the maintenance costs are going to be steeper than a GT, they are not terrible. If you can afford the car you can afford the maintenance for sure!

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Guys,

I have been lurking around the forums for a while now. I've have been in the car market for some time now. Im having a real hard time deciding on what car i want to buy.

I was sold on a 1le Camaro coming from a GM only family after seeing the price on a lightly used gt350 my eyes have been opened.

Further complicating things i now discovered the GT with the PP2 package.

someone give me some insight on this. I plan on driving this car everyday and i live in PA. The car will see come light snow and I'm prepared to pick up a set of snow tires for whatever i buy.

I have driven the camaro 2ss not 1le nd i have never been in the seat of a 350 or a gt. im working with my local dealers to make this happen.

i have a feeling that once i drive a 350 and get some seat time it might sell me on finding a used one.

Thanks!

If you're looking for a fun car to daily drive with minimal drama - don't look at a 350. If you're looking for a unique car .. don't look at a pp2 or a 1le..

Sponsored

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
'18 GT Premium PP1.

Transmission is up to you.

Have fun!

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I drive a GT350 frequently, and currently have a little over 25,000 miles on mine.

The car is fantastic, but it can be difficult to recommend based on a few points.

First, the Voodoo engine is both a blessing and curse. It is amazing when you can wind it out and also tools around town just fine, so that is nice. It is down on torque until 3500 RPM though, so if you are taking it easy you'll need to shift a couple times for best performance. You don't have that immediate punch like in the Camaro or to a lesser extent the Coyote.

Also, the Voodoo engine is known to burn oil. Mine goes though a quart every 1500 miles or so. Engine runs fine, so I don't think anything is wrong (I've done 4 track days so far with no issues), but you do need to accept the possibility of adding oil frequently.

The engine also vibrates more than a traditional cross-plane V8. My particular engine also has an annoying resonance around 1900 RPM that gets in the way of daily driving. It's not a big deal, but if you are able to get a test drive you might see if the one you are looking into has that same "feature".

One excellent aspect of the GT350 is how well it can do at practically any task. It is an excellent GT car, and can easily go 500 miles a day without causing fatigue. I drove mine back to CA from OK in three days (1600 miles), with my dad, and neither of us were uncomfortable.

You can also take it to the track, put it in track mode, and have a great time tearing up the course. It may not be the fastest car out there (especially with the stock tires), but it definitely holds its own, is well balanced, has great brakes, great cooling (as long as you have a track pack or a 2017), and sounds amazing as well.

As others have said, some of that does come at a premium. Oil changes cost quite a bit since it takes 10 quarts. It's got large brakes with fixed bridge calipers, so you need to pull the front calipers off to change pads. It won't have the same aftermarket as a standard mustang due to the lower volumes and because it is already quite good from the factory. Still, many mods that work for the standard mustang will also work for the GT350.

I think the 2018 PP2 will be similar in many ways, with perhaps a more streetable engine. Fuel economy will be better, parts will be cheaper, etc. The Sport Cup 2 tires on the PP2 are more track oriented than the Super Sports on the GT350, so that should be taken into account. The only potential weakness on the PP2 IMO is the lack of cooling. That might be an issue similar to what the early GT350 Tech/Base owners have to deal with.

I think the Camaro 1LE is probably the most track oriented, right up there with the GT350 in terms of capability, but with a lower revving engine with much more torque. The gearing on the GT350 ends up being pretty tall, so the in-gear speeds might be pretty similar between the two. I think the feeling of the LT1 is a little "truck-like" in that it dies a little at the top end, but it no doubt delivers the goods (ha!, there's another truck pun for ya).

I wanted the GT350 over a C7 due to the engine (and because I can put my kids in the back seat), and even with some of its drawbacks I still love the car. I often think of trying to get a GT350R, but in the end I really like the streetability and utility of the regular GT350, and don't bother trying to change over.

I think all three choices are great, with the SS 1LE being great for the track (visibility, rear seat and truck space reducing its utility a bit), the GT PP2 being excellent for the street (lack of coolers limiting its track capability a bit), and with the GT350 being great at both but with some higher maintenance considerations and the higher initial cost (or buying used instead of new).

Good luck with the decision!

-T

OP
OP

Ccase4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so here is the update i went to my local dealer and speced a 18 gt prem with a pp2. Recaros exhaust speakers the whole 9. came out to like 52k! i wouldn't be content with a GT without the option i included i could do without the speakers and that's it.

I think i'm sold on a slightly used gt350. i searched nationwide and it seems my area has some great deals for them.

Stingray23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 SVT Raptor
$52k for a loaded GT is crazy. You can definitely get a used GT350 for that price.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Camaro6 just stated several times that the SS 1LE was on par with the GT350R so there is one clear choice.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I would pay 50 for a used 350 before I would pay 49 for a new GT. The deoreciation hit will be like a nuke.

If you look at 350's, find out how old the previous owner was, or even see if they'll contact him/her for you.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
At 25, I hope you're getting insurance quotes before you make you car choice..lol

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Get prepared to mod then. The M2, stock, matches the GT350 on tighter tracks with the same driver.

Add 100hp with the Dinan bits and wider, stickier tires and you have a seriously fast car on your hands.
Maybe on an autocross course. Any track that allows you a small straight will leave the M2 in the dust. I have a friend with one. Fun car, but not worth the cash.

OP
OP

Ccase4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At 25, I hope you're getting insurance quotes before you make you car choice..lol
Im not to worried about insurance. I will call for a quote but i was quoted for a vette and it was only 800 a year.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the GT350 is a good choice if you can afford it. I was ready for a change after owning a few Mustang GTs. I drove the 1LE assuming I would buy one based on the magazine reviews. I just don't like the Camaro as much as the Mustang. The bunker feeling doesn't do it for me and the pushrod engines don't feel as lively as the Fords. I liked the Challenger but they are bigger than I prefer. They are comfortable and lay on the road nice. Perfect for long highway drives if that's what you want. Maybe someday I will choose a car more like the Challenger, but for now I by far like the Mustang more. I really like my GT350 and after 2 years of ownership and over 20,000 miles I'm not bored with it like I was with the 2015 GT I owned previously. I think I like the car more now than when I first bought it. I wouldn't shy away from a used GT350, especially if you get the extended drive train warranty that is often offered on used Fords. I know the GT350 is just a hot rodded version of the Mustang and it's basically a cheap car with some extra $$ spent on the drive train and suspension, but I really think Ford did a good job on it.
Sponsored