Sponsored

GT PP2 or gt350 or SS1LE

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
So let me give some more background.

I'm 25 i work construction (construction manager-no tools or actual work-mostly paper pushing) i dont care about comfort of the ride to much but i would want meg ride if i could. i will likely be able to stay out of the mud with whatever i get.

I just want something cool honestly fun to drive i'm sick of driving my truck and miss having a V8 car. i'm leaning away from the 1LE as i owned one before and i have the notion of been there done that even though the 6gen SS's are completely different animals from the 5th gens.

with that said i'm leaning towards a gt350. It just makes me nervous that i would have to buy it used to stay around my 50k budget. Anyone have recommendations of what to look for when buying these things used besides the obvious common wear and tear? ill be checking tire tread and all that good stuff.

Lets put it this way i keep my vehicles in good condition and clean them every week. But i know how i drive and i'm sure most people beat on them at some point.
You want magnaride for performance as much as ride quality. It goes a long way to helping the car off the line, in addition to the corners. I have a base GT350 without it, and it definitely suffers for it in a straight line. It also is less able to deal with bumps or heaves while cornering.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ccase4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro 2SS, 2015 Sierra 1500
Thanks everyone for the help.

I m going to my local dealer today to spec out a GT premium with at least a PP1 and recaros.

If i get close to 49k which i'm sure i will it will be hard for me to take a new car over a slightly used gt350. After buying my truck i vowed to never by a new car again but i have been saying that since my first car.

OP
OP

Ccase4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am reluctant to say GT350 only because you said construction. Even if you are not working with tools, you will be driving to some shitty areas often.
Ill bring my walking shoes if i ever need to drive down a bad road.

The car will likely see snow though.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Every single aspect about the GT350 will be more expensive to replace/repair/maintain than the GT from the brake pads to having to replace a piece of GT350-specific trim.

Back when I was big into the SN95 modding community there existed a thing called the Cobra tax, that was that anything related to the SVT Cobras costed a lot more because it was a on somewhat of a different level than all of the other Mustangs. Shelby is basically the same way.
This.

The cost to replace a hatched engine in my hopped-up GT500 was always a nagging concern, versus that of a boosted Coyote. It's almost nonsensical.

Color me skeptical, but I'm still not convinced that long-term engine longevity is there on the Voodoo compared to the 5.0 based on horror stories I see here and elsewhere online. That alone is the primary reason I haven't bumped to one since I have one of those lives that virtually guarantees ending up with a lemon. Of course, I might be wrong too, but....

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
i left out some information.

the GT i spec came out to around 49,000
The 1SS 1LE came to 45,000
The 2SS 1LE came to about 50,000

Im finding some used gt350s in my area for around 50,000 or just under/over under 10k miles.
A GT350 is going to be worth more in the long term.

What do you want the car for? If it is going to see a road course you want a GT350 with track pack (became standard in 2017) or a 1LE. Nothing has suggested that the PP2 will have upgraded, track ready cooling. Also be careful with the 2SS "1LE". The way I read the brochure, it's not a real 1LE with all the performance (& cooling) parts. But just a suspension upgrade.

OP
OP

Ccase4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A GT350 is going to be worth more in the long term.

What do you want the car for? If it is going to see a road course you want a GT350 with track pack (became standard in 2017) or a 1LE. Nothing has suggested that the PP2 will have upgraded, track ready cooling. Also be careful with the 2SS 1LE. The way I read the brochure, it's not a real 1LE with all the performance (& cooling) parts. But just a suspension upgrade.
Thanks for the info. I will be doing some road courses with whatever i buy. thanks for the info on the 2ss thats is useful information!

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I say PP2. Since you plan on winter tire swaps the cup 2's won't bother you. I agree with [MENTION=11389]Strokerswild[/MENTION] the longevity of the GT350 is not proven and there are a lot of issues with many cars that I see posted on this forum. Considering there are not a lot of GT350's rolling around its a bigger concern than on a coyote equipped gt.

I'm not a Camaro fan though the 1le is a very nice car and fast as all hell, the PP2 should be easier to live with daily minus the cup 2 tires.

Final. Note, if u don't plan on tracking the car then just stick with a PP1 gt and save some money. If u plan on drag racing primarily then get the auto.

Just my two cents.

OP
OP

Ccase4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I say PP2. Since you plan on winter tire swaps the cup 2's won't bother you. I agree with [MENTION=11389]Strokerswild[/MENTION] the longevity of the GT350 is not proven and there are a lot of issues with many cars that I see posted on this forum. Considering there are not a lot of GT350's rolling around its a bigger concern than on a coyote equipped gt.

I'm not a Camaro fan though the 1le is a very nice car and fast as all hell, the PP2 should be easier to live with daily minus the cup 2 tires.

Final. Note, if u don't plan on tracking the car then just stick with a PP1 gt and save some money. If u plan on drag racing primarily then get the auto.

Just my two cents.
Thanks im sold on a stick shift. i miss driving stick more than anything. Does anyone know if the 2018 comes with the auto rev matching similar to the 1le? I drove the new C7s and camaros and i love that feature!

Sponsored

Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Comp Orange
Keep in mind that there's probably some wiggle room in the price of a new '18 GT--take a look at cars.com or autotrader nationwide and you'll see some advertised already for a few grand less than sticker. That may make the price gap bigger than it seems right now. I'd worry about the long-term durability of the GT350 engine too since a number of people have reported problems; that said, the GT350 will definitely hold value better than a regular GT.

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Also whatever i get has to be able to spank my buddy's M2 around the track lol.
Get prepared to mod then. The M2, stock, matches the GT350 on tighter tracks with the same driver.

Add 100hp with the Dinan bits and wider, stickier tires and you have a seriously fast car on your hands.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I'd say GT350 without a doubt, if you were buying new, but I'm not sure I'd buy a used one.

Reactions: A7X
OP
OP

Ccase4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get prepared to mod then. The M2, stock, matches the GT350 on tighter tracks with the same driver.

Add 100hp with the Dinan bits and wider, stickier tires and you have a seriously fast car on your hands.
Yeah i really like the M2 i drove it great car but it just doesnt do it for me like a american V8 does.

Stingray23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 SVT Raptor
I say GT350 for several reasons. While those are all very nice cars you mentioned, the GT350 is the only one of the bunch that is gonna hold its value over time. Its the enthusiasts choice because it has that FPC motor. You will most likely not see any on the road so it will be more exclusive. Looks different from the run of the mill mustangs. Its already setup from the factory. To me, its a no brainer. Sometime next year, I, too, will be looking at getting back into a V8 sports car with the vette and GT350, ZL1 at the top of my list. Been driving my Raptor for over 5yrs straight and miss driving a manual tranny sports car.
Sponsored