Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Not really true. Not even close.
So are you saying you can take two guys, give them two automatics and have them mash their right foot down a straight lane and think any of the difference whatsoever in the performance is based on their skill?
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
So are you saying you can take two guys, give them two automatics and have them mash their right foot down a straight lane and think any of the difference whatsoever in the performance is based on their skill?
Well, they already have no skill for buying an automatic. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm done now.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It seems impossible you don't understand this, but heck I'm here on a forum to type stuff.

1. If you mash your foot all the way down the tires will spin which slows the car down.
2. If you don't react to the green light as quickly as the other guy you can easily lose by a car length or two in identical cars.
3. If you don't roll into the throttle properly you could still spin or lose time by not getting the throttle all the way down soon enough. The car can start to spin the rear tires as it comes up onto the power band.
4. You might be able to get a quicker time holding the brake with one foot and the gas with the other - pre-loading the drive train. This is a common technique used to improve straight line times. If one person does this and the other doesn't - their times will be different.

Just a few very obvious points about automatic transmission cars not doing all the work for you.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I have the MT-82 in my car and don't think it's that bad.

:thumbsup:

I don't either. Maybe I've been lucky with the two I've had, but they're not at all bad.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
It seems impossible you don't understand this, but heck I'm here on a forum to type stuff.

1. If you mash your foot all the way down the tires will spin which slows the car down.
2. If you don't react to the green light as quickly as the other guy you can easily lose by a car length or two in identical cars.
3. If you don't roll into the throttle properly you could still spin or lose time by not getting the throttle all the way down soon enough. The car can start to spin the rear tires as it comes up onto the power band.
4. You might be able to get a quicker time holding the brake with one foot and the gas with the other - pre-loading the drive train. This is a common technique used to improve straight line times. If one person does this and the other doesn't - their times will be different.

Just a few very obvious points about automatic transmission cars not doing all the work for you.
Okay, literally everything you said only applies to from a dig and on a drag strip. What about from a roll?

Also I should note that with stuff like launch control and 'drag mode' equipped on cars these days, most of those techniques you pointed out are completely automated by the car.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
:thumbsup:

I don't either. Maybe I've been lucky with the two I've had, but they're not at all bad.
Not to divert on this thread, but speaking of the MT-82.. do you think that the 18 updates to the flywheel and twin disk clutch will make that big of a difference? Are these more for straight line drag launches or will it actually make it closer to the Tremec transmission found in the gt350? I am wondering what mods I could do besides an after market shifter and the fluid swap that would make a noticeable difference in how the M transmission performs. I actually test drove a used 2016 GT350 a couple of weeks ago and the whole shift experience felt like my 2001 Honda CRV.. very loosy goosey... clutch pedal had not resistance at all and the shifter was not tight... not sure if I liked it or not...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Okay, literally everything you said only applies to from a dig and on a drag strip. What about from a roll?

Also I should note that with stuff like launch control and 'drag mode' equipped on cars these days, most of those techniques you pointed out are completely automated by the car.
Regarding your question:
1. Roll racing is not real racing.
2. 1-3 apply to roll racing, depending on the speed you start at, the car's HP and how much traction is available.

Regarding the second statement you made:
I disagree that most or even any of those techniques or factors are automated by the car to the degree that driver ability won't impact the outcome of the race.

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Butt hurt = 2010 vs 2011 - 4.6/5.0 coyote 100 hp bump not 15-17 vs 2018 40 hp bump!
When I saw the 2015 Mustang for the first time, I had to have one. I ordered the car the way I wanted it. I feel the same way about the car today as I did when I watched it roll off the car carrier. Now I think most of the people on this site have taken their stock Mustang 15-17 out on a back road and let it loose. 0 -100 track mode, damn scary at times, and you guys running superchargers need to be in straight jackets. The 2015 Mustang was a game changer. People who had never considered a Ford product were buying them. The 2018 is a sharp car. Bells and whistles fuel the upgrade bug for those that need to have the latest and greatest. Ford needed to step up there game to compete with Camaro/ Challenger. The cars are getting crazy fast from the factory, and the aftermarket parts are insane for these cars. How far will they go before the insurance companies shut them down again? Just my thought on the Butt hurt thread...:ford:

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Butt hurt = 2010 vs 2011 - 4.6/5.0 coyote 100 hp bump not 15-17 vs 2018 40 hp bump!
One little correction: Rated hp is 435 vs 460, so a 25hp bump.

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
One little correction: Rated hp is 435 vs 460, so a 25hp bump.
Sorry,
I was giving the benefit of the doubt, with dyno numbers seeming to be all the rage today.:shrug:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Come on Kevin08 you must know that the new fast automatics actually take more skill to drive than a old school manual. Any buddy can launch using a clutch! Try launching using your left foot to hold break while your right foot brings rpm's up a bit. Then when the last yellow light goes bling lift left and press right!

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
sorry auto guys, stock vs stock you might be faster but when you add slicks vs auto drag radial the manual gets the the win. ya, you can get a converter but that's where your car becomes a single duty! Automatic is exactly "automatic".

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Regarding your question:
1. Roll racing is not real racing.
2. 1-3 apply to roll racing, depending on the speed you start at, the car's HP and how much traction is available.

Regarding the second statement you made:
I disagree that most or even any of those techniques or factors are automated by the car to the degree that driver ability won't impact the outcome of the race.
Lol how can you say roll racing is not real racing?
It's just a different form of racing

Drag racing determines driver. Roll racing takes out alot of driver error and determines faster car. Old guys don't understand this for some reason.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.