Drove a 51k 18 gt

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I don’t know why people buy these type of cars? Ownership scares the bejesus out of them. The experts don’t need to pay for sh!t. The WARRANTY pays if something breaks! Would you rather find out the engine is defective now? Or wait til you put a cold air intake on it and Ford declines your repair. A year after you bought it? As a former EB owner you should understand this better than anyone!:doh:
Yeah, you tell him. Oh... wait...
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Dont take it personal. You know there were a few issues with the 15s as well As I do.:D

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
50,000 dollar mustangs, 100,000 dollar loaded trucks trucks, 30,000+ dollar base model trucks with vinyl seats...

How do people do it? twenty years ago, a 70,000 dollar car was a Viper, 100,000+ was Ferarri/Lambo, etc.

Now, it's middle of the road pedestrian stuff, regular people didn't spend that much on cars two decades ago, did they?

Is the average person really making that much more money now? It's insane. My 2015 GT will be my last new car, most likely...
a $50,000 mustang today performs like a $70,000 viper then...

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
50,000 dollar mustangs, 100,000 dollar loaded trucks trucks, 30,000+ dollar base model trucks with vinyl seats...

How do people do it? twenty years ago, a 70,000 dollar car was a Viper, 100,000+ was Ferarri/Lambo, etc.

Now, it's middle of the road pedestrian stuff, regular people didn't spend that much on cars two decades ago, did they?

Is the average person really making that much more money now? It's insane. My 2015 GT will be my last new car, most likely...
You understand inflation, right?

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Performance pack
Digital dash
Magne ride
Variable exhaust
10 speed
Every option.

What an f'n car.
Way faster then my stock gt 6a. Not even close.
Handling was incredible
10a in drag mode.. damn damn damn
I drove the car 10 miles and I know people..they told me they had all ready beat on the car as first one in..so told me i could beat on it as well..
So I got about 9 or 10 launches in.. a few hard corners..

I dont like the new hood as much as I like mine. From outside or sitting inside car I like older hood better. Only complaint.

Say at sticker of 51k could get for 48k..
Real question is it worth the 16k more then what I paid for my 17gt premium 6a new...

Part of me thinks it might have actually be worth the extra 16k...
Wouldn't make sense for me as Im putting 30k miles a year on mine..so too much money for a car in going to drive into the ground..
But if I didn't have my Shelby or 56..and this was my.weekend car..i would pay the extra 16k.

Well.. time to add pp3 and 3.55s to my car.. lol call it close enough.. think acceleration wise..that will get me close lol
Just wait for awhile and pick a slightly used one off the lot around 30 grand. Keep in mind these cars depreciate really bad. For 48 grand you can even pick up a slightly used vette c7 with a z51 package.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I won't buy used performance cars unless I know the previous owner and trust him.

What some people do to cars is criminal.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I agree with buying privately or mods that void the warranty. But I have no problem buying used especially from a dealer with remainder of warranty. But my preferred is getting a certified pre owned. At least if issues arise Ford will pay the bill and the CPO gives me 100000 miles of protection. But then then keeps me from modding and losing the warranty. And with the depreciation hit it gives a lot of room to fix something up if needed. But I have had issues in the past with expensive used cars in the past and issues. Some covered under warranty and others out of pocket.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Sad part is on my way to lunch yesterday saw another new 18gt being beat on during test drive...was different dealer..launched at every stop light
:tsk::headbang::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sponsored

Mr. Brutus

Mr. Brutus
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brutus
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby
You nailed it Bro!

I would love to get a new 2018 GT PP, but the price is just breathtaking, and not in a good way. I can't justify spending over $20k on top of what my mint 2015 GT PP is worth.

The pricing is the doing of James Hackett, Ford's new CEO. I think Alan Mulally did a fantastic job as Ford's CEO for the nearly 10 years he had the job. We can thank him for our Mustangs. He was an engineer, a technical guy (as well as a business genius). It was under his leadership that Ford invested in creating the new Mustang.

After he retired, his hand-picked successor was Mark Fields. I don't think the Ford family ever liked Fields, for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, and probably through no fault of Fields, in the short time he was CEO Ford's stock price dropped by more than 30%. There's no faster way for a CEO to lose their job than for the stock price to drop. The Ford family was pissed, and sacked him.

They replaced him with Jim Hackett. Hackett is not a car guy. He's a bean counter, a pure finance guy. He's not an engineer by training. I think all he knows is the "numbers". The Ford family gave him a clear mission: raise the stock price. What the Ford family wants, they get (since they own 40% of the voting control of the company).

I think Hackett did the only thing any bean counter knows how to do: try to increase sales by raising prices. He saw that the Mustang is popular, so, he jacks up the price. The problem with that is, most bean counters don't realize that if you raise the price too much, the volume goes down. I've worked with so many of them over my career - I know the type. They usually don't appreciate that there just won't be as many people willing to pay $50k for a Mustang as there were at $40k. They think that the number of cars sold will stay the same, so they can just jack up the price by 15% and *presto!*, instant 15% sales increase.

I think Hackett over-reached on the price hike. But, time, and the market, will tell. I personally think the revisions to the 2018 are great, and I'd love to have one. But I'm not going to spend that kind of money (maybe a used 2018 in 2020...). I'll spend a lot less than the $22k it would take on top of my 2015 to get a 2018, and buy a few upgrades for my car.

We can always hope that at some point, Ford might put money on the hood to move more 2018's (but I won't hold my breath).
Mulally was the man! He had his biggest rise at Boeing before joining Ford. He was a keynote speaker at a recent conference I attended and boy did he impress. They did audience Q and A, and I was trying to get the mic to ask him about the Mustang, but didn't get the chance. His stories were both entertaining and impressive. Google him up to appreciate what got us our current Mustangs...

goldviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2018 Mustang GT 401A PP
I am 69 years young. This is my first Mustang. 2018 GT PP, 401A, 10spd tranny, Magnaride, Lightning Blue (with two white racing stripes that get added on day two of ownership and Expel'D). This is the only Mustang I want because of all of the NEW Technology. I maxed it out at $53,160 before taxes ........ It is getting built around Dec 18 and hopefully delivered around Jan 17. I live in Phoenix, perfect cool weather for the break-in. I saw my first one in person yesterday.....Love everything about it. It will probably be my last car. It is only money the family will not inherit.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
It is only money the family will not inherit.
I love that last line.

This won’t be your last. Maybe three more with the last being a self driving car. I’m 58 so four more for me. With an aging population the car makers figured out a way to make us pay till we literally drop dead.

BTW: I wonder if you could actually street race with two self driving cars? Maybe the funniest or most boring thing ever!
Sponsored