Calling all OCD'ers, this makes me SICK. Need input

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
So, I picked up 2 scratches over the weekend to my garage queen...makes me absolutely SICK.:doh: These are the first 2 imperfections I have on my Mustang. They're located on the rear plastic bumper. Wanted to see your thoughts on how to repair them as I have a couple of options. First, I should note that I JUST had the car detailed and finished with ceramic coating.

Option #1) Wetsand affected area and use touchup paint to cover. I don't have a whole lot of experience with wetsanding and the thought of it kinda freaks me out.

Option #2) Touchup with paint but no wetsanding. Use a toothpick to apply a little at a time.

Option #3) Take to a bodyshop and get an estimate. I 100% do not want paint work done to the car. No resprays or anything like that.

Option #4) Leave as is and just deal with it. If this were the case, I wouldn't be posting this.

At any rate, if I do any kind of compounding or polishing to the bumper, my detailer told me that we would need to polish off the existing ceramic coating on the entire bumper and redo.

Thoughts?
37831464066_f93cfbf244_b.jpg

37831463856_b25f318db9_b.jpg
Sponsored

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Ouch. Out of curiosity, how did it happen?
Touchup paint will probably make it look worse.
If you don't trust yourself with wet sanding (I wouldn't trust myself either), then take it to a body shop and ask them to wet sand it for you.
Regardless of which option you choose, you will have to reapply ceramic coating unless you just leave that section unprotected...but I suspect that you aren't the type of person to do that :eek:

OP
OP
AMChief5.0

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
Ouch. Out of curiosity, how did it happen?
Touchup paint will probably make it look worse.
If you don't trust yourself with wet sanding (I wouldn't trust myself either), then take it to a body shop and ask them to wet sand it for you.
Regardless of which option you choose, you will have to reapply ceramic coating unless you just leave that section unprotected...but I suspect that you aren't the type of person to do that :eek:
Thanks for your input. I was actually swapping out the rear decklid with an MP Concepts one. When trying to pry the OEM one off, it popped off suddenly when I pulled the last tab. It happened so fast--flung out of my hands and was able to catch it before it hit the ground but not before hitting my bumper in those 2 spots first on the way down. I hate to say it but, it's all MP Concepts Fault! Had their install directions been a little more clear on swapping out the OEM hadware with the original, I wouldn't have had to take off the aftermarket decklid TWICE! The first time I installed it, I forgot to transfer the screw hardware over so I had to pull if off after installing it once already. Not to mention that a tab broke off when I had to pull it off the second time around.:frusty:

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Thanks for your input. I was actually swapping out the rear decklid with an MP Concepts one. When trying to pry the OEM one off, it popped off suddenly when I pulled the last tab. It happened so fast -- flung out of my hands and was able to catch it before it hit the ground but not before hitting my bumper in those 2 spots first on the way down.
Yeah I saw a installation of a decklid video. Before removing the decklid, they put tape on the spoiler and bumper for that exact reason. Oops :(

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
1. Tighten up or you will die of stress or have a heart attack . (Most importantly)

2. U do not need to reapply the entire ceramic if it is spot buffed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AMChief5.0

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
1. Tighten up or you will die of stress or have a heart attack . (Most importantly)

2. U do not need to reapply the entire ceramic if it is spot buffed.
1.) So much easier said than done. I've worked so hard and have taken so many protective measures to keep my first mustang immaculate. Not only does this sting but it's also my first scratch(es).

2.) Okay thanks for your input. I'm thinking of starting with 2500 grit sandpaper and just wet sanding the area over and then taking some compound and polish to it with my finger and just working it in.

OP
OP
AMChief5.0

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I saw a installation of a decklid video. Before removing the decklid, they put tape on the spoiler and bumper for that exact reason. Oops :(
...lol, not helpful whatsoever.:paddle:

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I'd try option 2. Good luck fellow ocd'r!

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
1.) So much easier said than done. I've worked so hard and have taken so many protective measures to keep my first mustang immaculate. Not only does this sting but it's also my first scratch(es).

2.) Okay thanks for your input. I'm thinking of starting with 2500 grit sandpaper and just wet sanding the area over and then taking some compound and polish to it with my finger and just working it in.
You will need a machine polisher! Man someone call 911 or go check on him!

OP
OP
AMChief5.0

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You already touched them up?
Just wet sand.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
I hate to say it but, it's all MP Concepts Fault! Had their install directions been a little more clear on swapping out the OEM hadware with the original, I wouldn't have had to take off the aftermarket decklid TWICE! The first time I installed it, I forgot to transfer the screw hardware over so I had to pull if off after installing it once already. Not to mention that a tab broke off when I had to pull it off the second time around.:frusty:
Wait... what?

Its MP's fault, because you forgot to do something and now you made a boo boo on your car?

sorry bro. It's not their fault.

Last edited:

TripleYellow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow 5.0
In my opinion, its not too bad and it can probably be corrected somewhat. This is coming from,someone who had a whole rear quarter repainted on my 08 Bullitt due to similar flaws. With my 16, well, I'm still waiting on the first blemish.

Also, how's the MP concepts decklid. Does the black match the tail lights? How does it fit up top my the camera? Any gaps? Can I please see a picture?

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Dr. Color Chip.
Sponsored