Sponsored

OEM wheel studs noise related?

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
So guys, after some lapping I have noticed a ticking sound (almost like rocks hiting the body, veries with respect to the speed) coming from the driver side wheel areas, only heard when turning. So quickly googled and found similar noises due to the lug nuts not being properly torqued. So I retorque my lug nuts to 150lbs, issues goes away. After some more hard lapping ( r compunds), a little bit of noise comes back. I let the car and wheels cool down, and seems the lug nuts need a little retorquing to reach 150lbs. Noise disappears. Are the stock studs weak link and stretch so that the lug nuts back off? I am using the lug nuts that come with the project 6 wheels.

Another gt350 had similar issue using oem wheels (pss) and nuts.
Sponsored

JustinLynn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/PP2
I would recheck the torque with a different torque wrench, just in case your current one is out of calibration. I'd also take the wheels off and look at the studs, you might have some that are stretched and about to break. I would imagine it will be pretty obvious when you look at them.

OP
OP
TRAC WPN

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
I would recheck the torque with a different torque wrench, just in case your current one is out of calibration. I'd also take the wheels off and look at the studs, you might have some that are stretched and about to break. I would imagine it will be pretty obvious when you look at them.
Thanks for your reply. Rechecked the torque and it's fine, will inspect further with the wheels off when I have some time. I see performance studs in my future for a peace of mind on the track.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Sounds like the well documented brake rotor hat pin noise to me. Very common at low speeds to hear.

Sponsored

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I get the same sound from the passenger side when turning left at low speeds. I wrote it off as the rotor hat pin noise because the lug nuts were torqued properly.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Was every nut backed off on the wheel? Was it only one wheel?

If even just 2 or 3 lug nuts are torqued properly the wheel shouldn't be moving around and there shouldn't be noise from the wheel. Noise should only come if all 5 are loose.

I would check them a few times to see; if they are loosening up something is wrong. I'd be very surprised if you have an issue with Ford's wheel studs or Ford's lug nuts (assuming you are using all factory parts). If you are using aftermarket nuts, that could be the issue. Otherwise, maybe there was just some dirt in the threads or in the wheel or nut seating area that prevented them from completely seating the first time you torqued them.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My driver's side front is doing the same thing too. Shame on me though...I'm not sure what the rotor hat pin noise is. Can someone get me up to speed?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My driver's side front is doing the same thing too. Shame on me though...I'm not sure what the rotor hat pin noise is. Can someone get me up to speed?
What's there to explain? The rotors are made of aluminum centers, brass pins and steel rotors and so there are different materials with some slight amount of movement occurring between the brass pins and the rotors.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What's there to explain? The rotors are made of aluminum centers, brass pins and steel rotors and so there are different materials with some slight amount of movement occurring between the brass pins and the rotors.
That's it?! Well that's not very exciting! I was hoping for something like an exploding engine bay from the hood shaking or lots of dramatics. I'm thoroughly disappointed. :cheers:

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Stainless pins.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The pins have been treated, yes. Beyond that, I have factory drawings that just might delve a little deeper.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The pins have been treated, yes. Beyond that, I have factory drawings that just might delve a little deeper.
Is the article that says bronze coating correct?

I can understand why a coating would be a good thing. I've never heard of a bronze coating though. It definitely is better for reducing galvanic corrosion than an entirely SST pin would be.
Sponsored