Sponsored

Best Boost Option for Road Racing

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Considered a shot of nitrous for the straight aways instead of boost ?
Car has plenty of power in the twisties. Really just need that extra punch for the high speed straight aways.

Lighter, cheaper, no heat soak issues.
Sponsored

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
To be honest any option you list will work, but turbo has the easiest adjustability if you also have an electronic boost controller. But turbo also most $$$.

I run a TT setup with 6262's and can give you a few tips:
For road course you only need about 6-7psi, that should be enough to run with Viper ACR's, C7ZO6 and maybe late model GT3's
If you go turbo, go for a bottom mount kit, I think the top mounts will cook everything under the hood in a 20min session
Heat management is your biggest challenge, and you will need to spend some time and money here to make sure all temp's stay in range during a 20min session and components are protected from radiated heat.
As a reference I burn through 1/3 a tank of gas during a 20min session, so you can see where the heat management comes in.
Are you still using the factory radiator/oil cooler? 100 degree summer days at Auto Club Speedway were sending my Cylinder Head Temps north of 250, so I ended up with the mishimoto radiator and oil cooler and haven’t seen temps above 215 really. Debating how I’m gonna fit the front mount oil cooler with the intercooler from any of the twin turbo kits since my car with the blower was running wayyy too hot without it.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Are you still using the factory radiator/oil cooler? 100 degree summer days at Auto Club Speedway were sending my Cylinder Head Temps north of 250, so I ended up with the mishimoto radiator and oil cooler and haven’t seen temps above 215 really. Debating how I’m gonna fit the front mount oil cooler with the intercooler from any of the twin turbo kits since my car with the blower was running wayyy too hot without it.
Yeah I have the Mishimoto radiator and a massive Earls oil cooler. It is a compromise to get good airflow through intercooler, then AC heat exchanger, then oil cooler and lastly radiator. I also have a vented hood to help airflow through coolers.

My oil cooler is between radiator and ac heat exchanger, fits if you bend the tabs a little. I also boxed in the radiator to make sure no airflow leaks around it.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I had the same issue with CHTs getting high once I put the procharger on. I was up to 238 in the summer.

Watson Racing 70mm radiator is an absolute monster and got me down about 30F....nothing over 210 now....

Sponsored

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Yup the bigger radiators are a must with FI. Here’s a shot of the Mishimoto 52mm radiator.

k01pw6.jpg

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
the twins usually handle the heat a bit better if low/mid mounted, i'd look at the Garrett GTX Gen II range, the GTX3076R is a good size, the turbine wheel possibly a little small, the GTX3576R Gen II would be killer as well

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I had the same issue with CHTs getting high once I put the procharger on. I was up to 238 in the summer.

Watson Racing 70mm radiator is an absolute monster and got me down about 30F....nothing over 210 now....

Do you still have the same radiator with the Paxton? Curious about fitment as I plan to hit the road courses again next year. I was already getting the car hot NA...can't imagine what it would do with the blower.

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
Hey DS, we have had great success road racing our cars over the years with Vortech blowers on them. Our s197 BIW car has done quite a few enduros with its centri making over 570whp, and we Used to run the same setup on our #20 s550 before moving the car back to SCCA T1 class rules. Let me know how I can help you out

2015-07-22_18-36-22-640x427.jpg

And not to forget our old Vortech supercharged New edge

nitto-555-g2-wows-on-steeda-new-edge-in-sebring-tire-test-0012-640x445.jpg

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Most if not all of the clubs/tracks will not allow a nitrous setup on the car while participating.

The club I usually go with won't even allow you to have a nitrous bottle mounted in the car, even if it's disconnected and not used.

That may be a good idea if allowed, but I somehow doubt it.

Considered a shot of nitrous for the straight aways instead of boost ?
Car has plenty of power in the twisties. Really just need that extra punch for the high speed straight aways.

Lighter, cheaper, no heat soak issues.

Sponsored

Steeda Tech JohnC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt's and ST's
Most if not all of the clubs/tracks will not allow a nitrous setup on the car while participating.

The club I usually go with won't even allow you to have a nitrous bottle mounted in the car, even if it's disconnected and not used.

That may be a good idea if allowed, but I somehow doubt it.
This is correct, many clubs dont even allow a bottle on property, much less on track. Nitrous is great fun for drag racing, but with road racing it really does not have a place, its far too easy to cause an issue with it, I cant imagine the scare you would get getting back on the throttle wide open and the kit coming on and smacking an extra 100hp and tq mid corner. That would be a hairy ride

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Our customers have been LOVING their ProCharger kits on the road course.

I always watch these two doing battle, and love it....

We did a LOT of testing at our road course to make sure our system was up to the task. :)
Sponsored