Best Boost Option for Road Racing

DS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, PP, Recaro Seats, 401A
I am looking to join FI World but can't seem to figure out which direction to go. I am not much of a drag racer and really prefer road racing. With that being said I would like to hear some of your experiences after a 15-20min session. I am in South Florida, so the temps and humidity can get up there.

The car is not a daily driver and already has a lot of Steeda goodies for a nice stiff ride. I would like to build this car to out perform or at least hang with the my 911 Carrera S for half the price.

So...do I look at a Vortech (V-3 Si), ProCharger (HO Stage II), Edelbrock (E-Force Stage 2), Whipple (Stage 1), Ford Performance (670 kit), Twin Turbo (55mm) :headbonk:

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and input :cheers:
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
:popcorn:Oh Boy

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I am new to the road race side of things....but I would say TT would stay the coolest maybe ? Use a boost controller to turn up/down boost for the vehicle, also TT would not use crank power. You can get the underside TT setup, use heat wrap, big intercooler...

There is a thread where a guy did the same, and he road course the vehicle. He talks about the setup. Its in the FI section I believe. May want to find it and give him a yell.

OP
OP
DS550

DS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I am new to the road race side of things....but I would say TT would stay the coolest maybe ? Use a boost controller to turn up/down boost for the vehicle, also TT would not use crank power. You can get the underside TT setup, use heat wrap, big intercooler...

There is a thread where a guy did the same, and he road course the vehicle. He talks about the setup. Its in the FI section I believe. May want to find it and give him a yell.
Cool...thanks, I will search it out

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Only had the chance to do a road course a couple of times. It is a lot of fun. Talking to several guys that road race a lot, they advise to tune the car for more power and RPM and add cooling upgrades without a power adder. They said the car was more controllable… I was told that the forced induction cars blow the tires more and the extra front end weight even comes into play.. The car with the most horsepower with forced induction usually is not the fastest on the road course... Not saying you can’t add forced induction and not win every time. Just stating what a lot of guys at the road course events told me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DS550

DS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Only had the chance to do a road course a couple of times. It is a lot of fun. Talking to several guys that road race a lot, they advise to tune the car for more power and RPM and add cooling upgrades without a power adder. They said the car was more controllable… I was told that the forced induction cars blow the tires more and the extra front end weight even comes into play.. The car with the most horsepower with forced induction usually is not the fastest on the road course... Not saying you can’t add forced induction and not win every time. Just stating what a lot of guys at the road course events told me.
Yes...that is the other option and probably the cheapest. The car is definitely fun even without the FI

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yes...that is the other option and probably the cheapest. The car is definitely fun even without the FI
I guess you could run a turbo system and run low boost on track days. Did not think about turning boost down..

BlownOne

Horsepower Fiend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything with wheels
A twin 55 kit with an upgraded intercooler would probably be your best bet for road racing...then you can have different psi settings on your boost controller for daily, kill and road course.

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A twin 55 kit with an upgraded intercooler would probably be your best bet for road racing...then you can have different psi settings on your boost controller for daily, kill and road course.
What he said!:headbang:

Sponsored

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
+1 to this. I have a Paxton and I strictly road course, and the way that thing builds boost linearly with RPM is kinda a pain in the ass. I’m selling the Paxton and going with twins.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Buddy runts a 13 GT500 on the roadcourse pretty hard, and even with the stock cooling he doesn't seem to have cooling issues.

I would do a VMP Gen 3 on the lowest boost setting and run an open grill/vented hood with a big oil cooler and that would be fun and controllable and plenty quick for most tracks. You don't need big big power to hang with 911s, Z06s, GTRs, Vipers etc especially if your suspension is setup well.

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
I would hit Travis up from boostworks he'll point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DS550

DS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Great insight guys...appreciate the info backed by your experiences

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am looking to join FI World but can't seem to figure out which direction to go. I am not much of a drag racer and really prefer road racing. With that being said I would like to hear some of your experiences after a 15-20min session. I am in South Florida, so the temps and humidity can get up there.

The car is not a daily driver and already has a lot of Steeda goodies for a nice stiff ride. I would like to build this car to out perform or at least hang with the my 911 Carrera S for half the price.

So...do I look at a Vortech (V-3 Si), ProCharger (HO Stage II), Edelbrock (E-Force Stage 2), Whipple (Stage 1), Ford Performance (670 kit), Twin Turbo (55mm) :headbonk:

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and input :cheers:
To be honest any option you list will work, but turbo has the easiest adjustability if you also have an electronic boost controller. But turbo also most $$$.

I run a TT setup with 6262's and can give you a few tips:
For road course you only need about 6-7psi, that should be enough to run with Viper ACR's, C7ZO6 and maybe late model GT3's
If you go turbo, go for a bottom mount kit, I think the top mounts will cook everything under the hood in a 20min session
Heat management is your biggest challenge, and you will need to spend some time and money here to make sure all temp's stay in range during a 20min session and components are protected from radiated heat.
As a reference I burn through 1/3 a tank of gas during a 20min session, so you can see where the heat management comes in.
Sponsored