Sponsored

Adding fuel Filter to Sai Li and GT500 vs GT350 Pumps

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
That's how I did it on my kit. Ran my own AN feed and return, mine is 6AN though(8AN is easily do-able), it will support about as much as the pumps can. You can always BAP them to get a little more out of them too. Second pump can be wired to activate off of a Hobbs switch as well.
Is that fitting at the hat a one piece fitting (y),or is that two separate fittings going into the hat??
Sponsored

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Is that fitting at the hat a one piece fitting (y),or is that two separate fittings going into the hat??
The pump has a 3/8th outlet, it's one fitting on the hat, the rest is part of the PTFE hose. I'll be releasing a kit that will be very similar to mine, how ever on s550 models you can re-use the stock feed line at the hat with out the need of the adapters. You would only need to run your own return line and split the feed in the engine bay so it feeds both rails at once then goes to the regulator

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
You need hoses like these, teflon core, braided stainless with nylon braided outer layer. They will survive engine bay heat and e85 use. These are the lines I am including in a fuel system coming out soon...

To the OP, you will want to replace the OEM feed line to easily add a in line filter under the car. You can try adding one in the engine bay pre rail if you have the room and use your own hoses where the OEM quick connect is
Fuel system for yourself? or to sell? Im listening.

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Fuel system for yourself? or to sell? Im listening.
Fuel system will be available for purchase, haven't finish working on pricing yet, but I will have either a Dead head or full return system available.

I just finished up the initial install of the first full return on my personal car to wrap up the R&D for it a few days ago. On my car I went with a true return system which includes billet rails to allow you to plumb the regulator after the rails.

**ignore the AEM intake, I ended up giving my stock stuff away to another customer who traded their car in and in return I was stuck with the intake they had on their car**
Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 12.13.01 PM.png
IMG_0085.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
My intention is to build the system like you have with a new feed line and return line. I am planning to use 8AN return and 10AN feed so I can upgrade the sump later to a tripple if needed. I am not sure if I am planning to use the stock rails or not. It will be interesting to see what the capacity of the GT350 pumps will be using better rails and feed line.

Sponsored

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My intention is to build the system like you have with a new feed line and return line. I am planning to use 8AN return and 10AN feed so I can upgrade the sump later to a tripple if needed. I am not sure if I am planning to use the stock rails or not. It will be interesting to see what the capacity of the GT350 pumps will be using better rails and feed line.
You should be able to see quite a bit from the gt350 set up, especially if you add a BAP and run them at 17v.

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
returnless system will provide fuel to what power??
You cannot keep it returnless, if you swap to the fuel pump assembly you MUST go return style, the OEM assembly has a 58psi mechanical regulator built into the hat, that is how it prevents over pressurizing the system. The GT500/GT350 work off ofpulse width modulation, so they do not need a mechanical regulator to prevent over pressurization.

This means that if you swap the pump in with no other modification, it will flows as much LPH as it can given the voltage it receives(usually 13.5v@idle) and will build up as much pressure as possible since there is nothing to relieve the pressure on the other end of the system. You can easily see 100-120psi at idle, pretty much go as high as the pump is capable of creating...which is bad since LPH goes down as pressure goes up, not to mention tuning a fuel system that can vary as high as 100+psi is not tuneable, you need a regulator to regulate the pressure and maintain a set pressure(55psi in most cases w/1:1)

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
You cannot keep it returnless, if you swap to the fuel pump assembly you MUST go return style, the OEM assembly has a 58psi mechanical regulator built into the hat, that is how it prevents over pressurizing the system. The GT500/GT350 work off ofpulse width modulation, so they do not need a mechanical regulator to prevent over pressurization.

This means that if you swap the pump in with no other modification, it will flows as much LPH as it can given the voltage it receives(usually 13.5v@idle) and will build up as much pressure as possible since there is nothing to relieve the pressure on the other end of the system. You can easily see 100-120psi at idle, pretty much go as high as the pump is capable of creating...which is bad since LPH goes down as pressure goes up, not to mention tuning a fuel system that can vary as high as 100+psi is not tuneable, you need a regulator to regulate the pressure and maintain a set pressure(55psi in most cases w/1:1)
I misunderstood when you said dead head. Guess you mean dead head like the Sai Li kit?

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
You should be able to see quite a bit from the gt350 set up, especially if you add a BAP and run them at 17v.
The only thing you have to be aware of using the GT350 hat is that the basket will begin to empty faster than it can refill at around 675lph.

I misunderstood when you said dead head. Guess you mean dead head like the Sai Li kit?
The Sai Li is a return style system. The factory system is a dead head system (returnless) which is internally regulated.

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
The only thing you have to be aware of using the GT350 hat is that the basket will begin to empty faster than it can refill at around 675lph.

The Sai Li is a return style system. The factory system is a dead head system (returnless) which is internally regulated.
Ok then Im not sure then what exactly he meant when he said "I will have either a dead head or return style system available".

Some people say Sai's kit dead heads because the return is not at the end of the fuel rail, which provides a constant flow of fuel.

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ok then Im not sure then what exactly he meant when he said "I will have either a dead head or return style system available".

Some people say Sai's kit dead heads because the return is not at the end of the fuel rail, which provides a constant flow of fuel.
What I meant by it is I will offer 2 systems:

Deadhead includes:
- PTFE braided hose to connect from OEM line to OEM fuel rail and also the FPR(the tee) that will regulate pressure at whatever psi you set it too and send excess fuel back into the tank. This means fuel is NOT constantly flowing through the rails.

Return style will includes:
- PTFE braided hose to connect from OEM line to a Y block that will split into both rails, then both rails will go to each side of the regulator, then the return line back to the tank. This means fuel is constantly flowing when not in use and you minimize the chances of running into vapor lock and allows you to better control the pressure in each rail since the regulator is after the rails.

you can somewhat alleviate this(although maybe not as much) with the return port sitting right on the hat dumping right into the basket, it wont help a ton, but excess fuel from the rails will dump right back into the bucket

Last edited:

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Eh, I suppose you could call the Sai kit a dead head in that the fuel doesn't pass through the regulator in the typical way and the regulation is moved from in the hat to the front of the car.

I suppose he is referring to a system that runs directly through the regulator, as in pump, regulator, rails, or pump, rails, regulator.

*treed

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Eh, I suppose you could call the Sai kit a dead head in that the fuel doesn't pass through the regulator in the typical way and the regulation is moved from in the hat to the front of the car.

I suppose he is referring to a system that runs directly through the regulator, as in pump, regulator, rails, or pump, rails, regulator.

*treed
his kit works somewhat like a dead head, where the fuel can enter the rails but never passes via the regulator, how ever the regulator can open in order to vent excess fuel to prevent over pressurization of the system. The one I'm working on and referring to Dead head the regulator is the tee, so:

Pump > Hoses > Regulator >Fuel rail
So the rail is at the end of the system, fuel doesnt flow anywhere but into the engine once it hits the rails.

return style is:
Pump > Hoses > Y block > Fuel rails > Hoses > Fuel regulator(each rail goes to their own side of regulator) > bottom port returns to fuel hat
Sponsored