(unconfirmed) Source of AC Evap Failures Possibly Identified [POLL]

Has your AC failed?

• Total voters

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Is there any smell associated with this? It seems on startup, when the AC kicks on, I get this almost electrical type smell in the cabin, maybe a chemical type smell. Only smells like this when turning on the AC. Just started doing this about a week ago.
Sponsored

Docfinder1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Known AC issue

I have a 2015 GT with about 20k miles and the AC just went out. I noticed it wasn't Cooling quite as much last week and then one day it got super cold to the point that fog was coming from the vents, then all seemed normal until it just stopped working this weekend. I live in Georgia so this is crappy timing as it is still hot here.

Dealer said the coil needs to be replaced and he has seen MANY of these replaced. The part is on back order for 3-4 weeks too! Evidently the part number is slightly different from the one in the 2015 so it appears they figured out The part is faulty but instead of doing a recall they are just replacing them as they go bad. Sucks for people that get outside warranty though!

So 3-4 weeks without AC is going to suck!

chris_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium PP
Is there any smell associated with this? It seems on startup, when the AC kicks on, I get this almost electrical type smell in the cabin, maybe a chemical type smell. Only smells like this when turning on the AC. Just started doing this about a week ago.
I never had any smell with mine.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I had a smell when my AC went out. Ford diagnosed it as a bad line. Replaced the line and recharged it and has been working for over a month.

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Mine is in the shop currently, waiting an update. Freon smell when you turn on the AC but was still blowing cold. Hmm

Sponsored

garbancillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MUSTANG GT 10R80
Greetings from Spain, guys! Mine failed as well. With warm weather (86 F still in Madrid by mid day) this is the worst failure we may suffer. Shop called me yesterday, new evaporator won´t arrive till the end of November!! I am calling customer care service, it is absolutely disgraceful that we are treated like this!

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Same for me!!! It smells electrical at first, then not so much. But it ONLY does this when I'm leaving work. My car bakes in the sun for 8+ hours. It does not do this in the morning, or if I leave work for lunch around noon, then leave work 4 hours later

GAFA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang
Mine stopped yesterday and it only 1600km on the clock. Started the car and SYNC went into update mode and after the update was finished the aircon was dead. It wasn't even blowing hot air. Took it to the local dealer and they found power was going to the aircon module, but not to the fan. It goes back next Thursday for further fault finding/fix.

I went with option 1 due to the dealer only having a quick look yesterday.

Stopthisfall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6
Hello Everyone, first post and just joined.... coming over from e46fanatics.Com and from a 2001 330cibmw. Just dropped the car off at ford but I suspect the evaporator. Had the smell.... drivers side went out first....the service manager told me It should take 2 days max and after explaining the symptoms he told me I was most likely correctaboutthe evaporator. I will update the poll when I find out what's up

Sponsored

Jdrid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT
Had the same issue as a lot of people here, driver's side AC started getting weak and then eventually passenger side crapped out too. I live in south Louisiana and let me tell you, that was hell. Had a job interview right after it failed and driving around in a suit and tie with zero AC was miserable.

Brought to the dealer and he acknowledged a ton of people having evaporator core issues, but when I left it with them they said they couldn't find a leak but I had no freon. So they recharged it and it's been working fine but I can't help but think it's going to have to be replaced sometime. Good news is that I've been daily driving it for almost 2 months now and the AC hasn't had an issue since recharging, but still.

Stopthisfall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6
Yup it was the evaporator core. I should get it back tomorrow by 2pm. The service manager said they have had about 4 different designs for it and the last one they came out with works and will last so I won't have to do this again (hopefully). Now I'm just worried about having a ton of rattles after they took everything apart on my car.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Dropped it off today. Told the guy that did the paperwork, "I looked online for similar issues, I hope it's not what I think it is.", he responded with, "it's exactly what you think it is." Lmao. Might be there a while. Got several compliments on the car from customers and employees.

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
I'm waiting on the part to arrive, was told once it does it will take a day to fix.
Sponsored