Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
So, my car is back now, blowing nice, cold air as it should. By now we all know the evaporator is a faulty design, but little has been said about how it's failing.

Talking to friends at the dealership, It seems this won't be limited to the Mustang. There's a new design of evaporator they're using across the lineup. In older designs, the AC system has one of many temperature probes located in the ductwork. The recent design puts this probe in the aluminum housing of the evaporator core.

Now, I don't know the specifics of what the probe's housing is made of, but it seems that where the probe housing is screwed into the core, this is causing the coolant leak. I'm speculating that the probe housing is make from steel or some other metal that is not expanding and contracting at the same rate as the aluminum evaporator core, thus leaking.

So far, there is no TSB. But, since this design is used in multiple Ford products, I expect one is coming. I do not expect a recall, as it's not a safety issue.

There's also no word either that this new evaporator core we're getting is an improved design (unless someone can chase part numbers) or is the same faulty design that will fail again in the future.

[MENTION=7992]FordService[/MENTION] Are you watching all of these issues? Is there something else you can tell us? Feel free to search this forum, there's well over half a dozen different threads covering at least a dozen owners reporting this problem. I'll even add a poll for people to tally.
Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I'm watching this too. A/C issues in a hot ciimate are pretty miserable experiences. I'm dealing with on in my daily driver. The A/C is one of the lesser serviceable parts in the entire auto industry. The evaporator going out means the whole ENTIRE dash assembly needs to come out on most modern cars in order to fix it. So much disassembly of the car required it is insane. Look some up on youtube, they are fun to watch the service techs. They do it in one fell swoop in high speed and still take forever.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Do you have a copy of your invoice? Shoot me it and I can reach out to my contacts at ford and use my logins to find out for us. I'd like to see the part number they used on yours.

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a copy of your invoice? Shoot me it and I can reach out to my contacts at ford and use my logins to find out for us. I'd like to see the part number they used on yours.
I do. When I get home this evening I'll scan it to PDF and send to you.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So I take it the symptom of this failure is a total loss of AC cooling due to all the refrigerant leaking out of the system at this temperature probe connection on the evaporator?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
So I take it the symptom of this failure is a total loss of AC cooling due to all the refrigerant leaking out of the system at this temperature probe connection on the evaporator?
Basically, yes. Though it will not always be immediate. My symptoms included a loss of AC from the driver's side first over a few weeks before the passenger side fully failed as well.

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Basically, yes. Though it will not always be immediate. My symptoms included a loss of AC from the driver's side first over a few weeks before the passenger side fully failed as well.
That is what mine is doing.

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
That is what mine is doing.
The problem is that most dealers don't want to diagnose the evaporator because of it's location behind the dashboard. This results in multiple trips and wasted time. Best I can say is to take it in and insist they don't return the car until they've checked and verified the evaporator

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Hmmm... this has me a bit worried for multiple reasons. For now, mine appears to be working ok. I bought my car in February 2015 and have been daily driving it every day. I'm nearing 30,000 miles so I definitely don't want to have to deal with a failure after warranty, especially if it's a crappy design that's known to fail.

Interestingly, over the weekend, I had the A/C running and was listening to music at medium volume. I started hearing this weird noise. Kind of like an intermittent sighing. It happened a few times back to back. I thought it was in the music but when I turned it down, it was still there. Sounded like it was coming from behind/under the dash area. I turned the system off and then back on and it seemed to disappear.

For now the A/C seems to be working ok still but I'm definitely getting worried. I can't imagine what the dealership would charge to replace this off warranty. Hopefully if there is in fact a TSB, it will extend warranty coverage (not sure if this is typical or is done on a case by case basis).

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If it was a small leak then recharging the system would temporarily fix it. I was under the assumption that recharging the system did not (temporarily) fix the issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
If it was a small leak then recharging the system would temporarily fix it. I was under the assumption that recharging the system did not (temporarily) fix the issue.
Well, my dealer did recharge the system at first, and it did work temporarily... for 5 days.

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)

Eric R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Mustang Premium, 6MT
Mine was doing the same. First it was not as cold then i lost all cold air from drivers side till total failure. I will update this after they fix my car this week.

HBTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
This is what I expect is happening to mine. I had it fail suddenly about a month ago, it was recharged and has been working fine ever since. When I had it in for oil service about 1200 miles ago I had them check the A/C system and they said it tested fine and they could not detect any loss of refrigerant. I think my leak must be very small. I plan to wait until it fails again and then press for a new evaporator (maybe there will be a better replacement in several months).
Sponsored