SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Airaid Intake Upgrade

I've opted for a home-made approach to my Paxton intake. Nothing against the pre-packaged JLT intake, I'm just not a fan of the tubing connection arrangment. So what I did was use a rubber coupler directly onto the carbon intake tube, and then fit a 3.5" inner diameter filter onto that coupler. When I installed the paxton kit, I had a new in box Procharger air filter laying around in my garage that happened to be the correct flange size, so that was what I initially installed with my new Paxton setup. It was smaller than I wanted, but it was fine for initial use during data logging.

However, I wanted her to be able to breathe better, and sized up a much larger filter option. This one has a 50% increased surface area for maximum airflow.

This is the spec of filter I have installed:

Airaid 700-421 Universal Clamp-On Air Filter:
Round Tapered
3.5 in (89 mm) Flange ID
9 in (229 mm) Height
6 in (152 mm) Base
4.625 in (117 mm) Top

Here is a good before and after comparison of my new filter size. Much better set up now. Not worried about not having a heat shield between the engine exhaust manifold and filter area, the airflow from my functional ram-air Trufiber hood is dumping a constant amounts of fresh air directly onto the filter whist I'm driving ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)

OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Loving the custom touches Tim! Clean and unique!
Thanks Tommy! The carbon intake started digging a hole...now I'm having to carbon-out the engine bay to make it all match up haha :lol:

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Engine photos at work tonight...the polished snail makes me go 'ahhhhhhh' every time I pop the hood! Lol :lol:

Can't express enough how well this car is running. Honestly drives as smooth as though it came off the production line this way. Even cold starts it drives without any hesistant or hiccups, just as smooth as butter.

Performance-wise, this gets into boost real quick and goes like a missile. Very very pleased with how it is performing.

Just done my first oil change on the blower, 400 miles on the kit (I only live 6 miles from work, and she is my daily), and decided to give it a fresh fill since it is a brand new headunit.

Also got my 3 year extended warranty approved by Paxton, for $50 it is a no-brainer in my opinion. Gives me long term piece of mind that they will repair the headunit in the unlikely event I have any issues.

More parts going on the car REAL soon :D

Sponsored
OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Some nice custom goodies going on the car this weekend.

Tig Vision lightweight tubular front crash bar.

Custom Bell 4.5" thick intercooler, specially fabricated for the Paxton kit (Thanks to forum member Slamdcoop0428 for the hook up). You will notice it has a large air deflector plate welded to the top, this will help with diverting a good amount of air to the dead space behind the front bumper license plate area. Every little helps. Not going for a max effort set up, but will be turning the wick up in the future, and saw this as a nice custom upgrade to add to my current set up.

BlownOne

Horsepower Fiend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything with wheels
Nice! What are your iat’s vs ambient with your current setup? Snap some side by side comparo pics of your current I/c vs the bell when you’re swapping em brotha

OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Nice! What are your iat’s vs ambient with your current setup? Snap some side by side comparo pics of your current I/c vs the bell when you’re swapping em brotha����
Yup I will take some nice comparison shots when I get it installed tomorrow night :)

Slammdcoop did data collection when he had this installed and saw a 15 degree IAT drop on a true 15-15.4psi boost, testing up to the top of 4th gear, so there are definitely measureable benefits to running this bigger IC.

Granted, I'm only on the 3.6" pulley, but next year that will change and hopefully this IC will be able to help keep the IATs down once my boost is pushed up.

OP
OP
SoCalTim

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
4.5" Bell Intercooler Upgrade

Spent this afternoon installing the new intercooler. Photos to do the talking...

Starting point. The standard Vortech intercooler and stock crash bar...

Off they come...

Side by side with the new intercooler...

Vortech cooler is 3.5" thick

Custom bell core is 4.5" thick

Vortech weighed in at 26.6lbs

Custom Bell weighed in at 27.2lbs, so only 0.6lbs heavier

Stock front crash bar weighed in at 12.0lbs

Tig Vision tubular crash bar weighed in at 4lbs

Weight of stock Vortech IC with stock crash bar 38.6lbs

Weight of custom Bell IC with tubular crash bar 31.2lbs

Total weight saving 7.4lbs. So even by upsizing my intercooler, I was able to make some weight saving at the same time :D

After a test fit, the only modification that I needed to make was to round off the lower frame rail edge to provide adequate clearance for the new intercooler to sit low enough to mount up with the stock bolt holes on the crash bar....

After some hammering...

Bolted up nicely. Tig Vision crash bar is a nice easy fit

Drove her outside for a better look at the install

Threw the bumper back on, and was pleased to see the air deflector plate on the top of the intercooler is not too noticeable unless you go looking for it. The end result is very clean :)

Overall, a nice custom addition. Hopefully get some benefits on IATs in the summer especially.

Last edited:

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Looking sweet as hell, Tim. As usual !! So are you going for more boost and if so what's the plan?

(sorry, just read your post and I see that more boost is in your future)
Sponsored

Last edited: