Sponsored

5.0hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well took it into the dealership again today in the morning and of course the car didn't make the noise there but I showed them the videos and they agreed that it was weird and decided to take a look at it. Got a call earlier today that they had already ordered a completely new fan assembly and it would be there tomorrow.

SVOv2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP 6MT
Thanks 5.0hopeful. My 2015 Ecoboost makes the same noise as post 33 at shut down. It seems to occur more at colder temperatures.

I'll follow your lead and take a video to show Ford Service in the event they are unable to duplicate the problem.

5.0hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sounds good! Hopefully they will do something about it with just the video if the problem isn't present there. When I took mine in, the car didn't make the noise (of course) but when I showed the service advisor and the tech the video, they both agreed that it was strange and they would look into it. Got a call a bit later that they were replacing the fan assembly. There's no noise to be heard of now. Hopefully you can get yours resolved as well!

Sponsored

5.0hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, they had supposedly fixed the issue but the sound is back now. Going to have to take it in again I guess.

Sick03L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang Premium Automagic
Fan bearings are junk. I've been thinking of just going to aftermarket fans and saying fuck it.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Fan bearings are junk. I've been thinking of just going to aftermarket fans and saying fuck it.
That's unfortunate to hear. I've been waiting to take mine in with the hopes that they would get the supplier to fix the issue after a number of complaints. Maybe we all need to bring them in multiple times before they get the hint!

It's probably the same crap Chinese supplier that make the HVAC blower motor on my 2011 Fusion. It started making a chirping noise when the blower was on (constant) last year. Had Ford replace under my extended warranty, then less than a year later it started again. Just had it replaced again. We will see how long that one lasts! It is quite the annoying sound! I think your idea of aftermarket sounds good, but not sure when someone will make one for our 2015 fan motors?

At least we aren't having more serious problems like a Chrysler product or GM, but I still think Ford QC needs some work before I buy any more Fords. Looks like I'll switch back to the Japanense cars for my DDs, or maybe even try the Germans out.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
cooling fan squeak after shut off

My 2016 GT developed this too. I have a whopping 345 miles on my 40k beauty! I traced it to the passenger side cooling fan, just reached down and spun the fan and it squeaked away. Be careful if you try this - the blades are metal and sharp.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My 2016 GT developed this too. I have a whopping 345 miles on my 40k beauty! I traced it to the passenger side cooling fan, just reached down and spun the fan and it squeaked away. Be careful if you try this - the blades are metal and sharp.
Gotta be a bad batch of fan bearings getting into production. I have a feeling that this issue will show up relatively quickly if someone happens to be unlucky and get a bad bearing.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
That's unfortunate to hear. I've been waiting to take mine in with the hopes that they would get the supplier to fix the issue after a number of complaints. Maybe we all need to bring them in multiple times before they get the hint!

It's probably the same crap Chinese supplier that make the HVAC blower motor on my 2011 Fusion. It started making a chirping noise when the blower was on (constant) last year. Had Ford replace under my extended warranty, then less than a year later it started again. Just had it replaced again. We will see how long that one lasts! It is quite the annoying sound! I think your idea of aftermarket sounds good, but not sure when someone will make one for our 2015 fan motors?

At least we aren't having more serious problems like a Chrysler product or GM, but I still think Ford QC needs some work before I buy any more Fords. Looks like I'll switch back to the Japanense cars for my DDs, or maybe even try the Germans out.
Switch to Japanese cars? LOL, I love how this is everyone's "go to". Go over to the forums for ANY car, and you'll see problems. In the case of buying Japanese, you're trading a radiator fan spool down noise for airbags blow up and shoot shrapnel into your face. Sounds logical to me :lol:

And yes, the majority of brand new Japanese cars are still using Takata Ammonium Nitrate inflators. They have until 2019 to prove that they are "safe"; if not, they need to recall all 120 million of them.

As far as "Chinese suppliers", you're talking out of your ass. The radiator fans on these cars are made by BOSCH, which is a GERMAN company. And the noise has nothing to do with "faulty bearings", the noise you're hearing is the brushes inside of the fan motor rubbing against the commutator on spool down. You will hear the same noise in multiple other product lines that use the same fans.

Amazing how people just to conclusions about things they have no clue about.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And the noise has nothing to do with "faulty bearings", the noise you're hearing is the brushes inside of the fan motor rubbing against the commutator on spool down. You will hear the same noise in multiple other product lines that use the same fans.

Amazing how people just to conclusions about things they have no clue about.
If the fan if making a bunch of noise on spin down, it's faulty regardless of what's causing the noise. They should be quiet on spin down, not squealing like a pig.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=449930&postcount=1

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
If the fan if making a bunch of noise on spin down, it's faulty regardless of what's causing the noise. They should be quiet on spin down, not squealing like a pig.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=449930&postcount=1
It doesn't make "bunch of noise"; it's a rotational rubbing sound that occurs when the fan spools down after running for a while.

Your definition of "faulty" would mean that an engine is bad because it doesn't stop instantly when the ignition is shut off. Don't be so foolish. The fans exhibit a spool down noise, which is characteristic of the fan motor design. That's not "faulty" or a "defect".

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't make "bunch of noise"; it's a rotational rubbing sound that occurs when the fan spools down after running for a while.

Your definition of "faulty" would mean that an engine is bad because it doesn't stop instantly when the ignition is shut off. Don't be so foolish. The fans exhibit a spool down noise, which is characteristic of the fan motor design. That's not "faulty" or a "defect".
The fans in my GT don't make any noticeable noise when they shut off and spin down when I shut the car off. I listen and notice every little noise my vehicles make. Mine are nothing like the noise in the video ... did you even listen to the video? Those are faulty fans, not normal.

I suppose you think the one in this post makes 'normal spin down noise' too. Sounds like it needs the squeaky brakes TSB ... LoL.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=794028&postcount=15

Is this normal? Don't think so. It even sounds bad while the fans are running normally.
[ame]
Sponsored

Last edited: