Sponsored

Tires that Hold on Dry Asphalt at 600+ RWHP (not DR)

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Anything R comp you might as well get a drag radial. I'd never drive an R comp in the rain, or most of those tires in your last picture.
Sponsored

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
I was in a different car with ET streets. It was a Nova with 500+ rwhp and it spun in 1st but seemed to hook pretty good in 2nd under WOT.

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Pretty sure I've seen this car around Davie.
Car pool to Naples lol

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Pretty sure I've seen this car around Davie.
Car pool to Naples lol
I actually used to have a yellow '15 GT PP car but traded it for the dark grey supercharged '17 GT PP metallic one I have now. Naples is a long drive, but thanks for the invite! Google maps says 1 hour, 41 mins. I probably still have several months on the tires I have, but I'd like to buy a new set ahead of time so I can swap them if my current tires have some major issue.

I had plans to convert my car into the full Roush body kit (front bumper, front chin splitter, spoiler, side scoops, stickers, decals) shortly after I bought it a few months ago, but never made it that far. You can tell if it's my car by the wheels and the 'supercharged' decal under the 5.0. You can probably also tell by the speed I am driving (although I pass people very slowly, I do accelerate if there is an empty space in front of me until I brake as I approach the next car).

Few driving tips I use to avoid problems, sorry if these are all obvious: Never pass anybody going more than about 5 to 10 MPH faster than them because you never know when they decide to swerve into your lane! If you pass them too quickly, you don't have time to turn and brake. It is best to never do WOT on turns, even slight ones. You can pass them a little faster when you have three lanes and there is a lane of space between you and the other car. Even if they change lanes as you pass, they go into the empty lane, not into you. Don't change lanes on a three or higher lane road unless there is nobody in the farthest lane that can change into the middle lane at the same time as you. Slow down at all intersections, even those without red light cameras. Slow down if you see any people or animals on either side of the road. Slow down if the road could be hiding a person/animal because there is a large bush/hedge very close to the road in that area. Test your brakes to know how fast you can really stop. Test them from 60, 70, 80, 90 and figure out how long it takes to stop under dry conditions. Try again in wet conditions. You can calculate how fast versus how close to others you can drive if you know how fast you can stop. Know how fast you can take a turn. Try turning at a right angle at different speeds until the front of your car starts to slip. Get a feel for dry/wet turn max g-force. Learn how to let off the gas when your tires slip since even if you are driving straight, your car can still go sideways if you don't let off the throttle a bit. In the rain, don't even hit the accelerator on slight turns. During the turn, just coast (I know this sounds over cautious - but trust me, those back wheels slip very easily on turns in wet conditions). If you find yourself going faster than you should, better do it with nobody around you or in front of you for many car lengths. Crashing your car when nobody was anywhere around you only causes problems for yourself and nobody else (except maybe a road hazard). When driving close to others, drive slower. Basically, pretend like everybody wants to run into your car, even animals, pedestrians, road workers, bikers, runners, etc and you want to avoid them hitting your car. If anybody wants to race you, rules change 'a little'.

Here's a recent pic of my car:
car_11-16-17.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
I was in a different car with ET streets. It was a Nova with 500+ rwhp and it spun in 1st but seemed to hook pretty good in 2nd under WOT.
I agree with you that the right tire won't slip in 2nd as well as not slip off the road in mildly wet conditions. You know, I still watch Dragon Ball Super in Japanese when it is played every week in Japan (our Saturday nights). I should have outgrown it since it's a little kid's show and I've seen every episode of every series, but I guess I like having fun like a kid.

Sponsored

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Glad I could help, if you want something above, I'd go with the cup 2

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
I agree with you that the right tire won't slip in 2nd as well as not slip off the road in mildly wet conditions. You know, I still watch Dragon Ball Super in Japanese when it is played every week in Japan (our Saturday nights). I should have outgrown it since it's a little kid's show and I've seen every episode of every series, but I guess I like having fun like a kid.
I have that same problem but nothing wrong with DBS lol...

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Cup 2s need heat in them to hook. Won't hook until you've been driving on them for a little bit.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Cup 2s need heat in them to hook. Won't hook until you've been driving on them for a little bit.
no tire hooks cold.
Every wonder why there is so many videos of
asshats (usually mustang owners sadly )
pulling out of the cruise spot punching the gas and getting sideways
into a pole or another car? :cheers:

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic
Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately, the Nitto NT555R has the widest size of 335/30ZR18 and no 19" sizes at all. Maybe I should have bought smaller wheels :)
I was in the same boat as you with my 19" PP wheels. I have tried the NT05R and they plain suck in the rain. I tried several non-DR tires in 19" size and every single one of them sucked at 800rwhp. I wanted a good compromise of wet and dry performance and I've always had success with my high HP cars using NT555R as a daily tire. I get approx. 10,000 miles out of mine which is about 1 summer worth of driving. This has been consistent for the last 6 years. My current and last car were automatics with 3.55 gears in the 700-800rwhp neighborhood.

I got tired of d!cking around with tires and just bit the bullet and bought 2 20x10 PP replicas and drop on the 305/35R20 NT555R tires. My current car at 800rwhp will spin the tires in 2nd from a 40mph roll and eventually grab half way through the gear. In fact, they hook so well I grenaded my trans on the 2-3 shift a few weeks ago making a hit on my way home from work.

IMO this is the best compromise tire for staying alive in the rain and very good dry performance with decent mileage. I've run the MT ET SS and its decent in the rain, not as good as the NT555R, but you will not die driving it in the rain, unlike others I've use. The MT's hook like a mofo on dry pavement but only last 1/2 as long as the Nittos.

The Nitto NT555R and the Mickey Thompson ET SS are the only two drag radial type tires I feel safe running in the rain on a daily driver. If you want all out dry hook and 5000 mile life is acceptable then the MT's get my vote. If you want more mileage, then the Nittos are it. The Mickey T's are also slightly more expensive a tire.

Hope this helps.

-CMY

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
"I've run the MT ET SS and its decent in the rain, not as good as the NT555R, but you will not die driving it in the rain"

Thanks CMY for your response! Yes, I really am trying to not die in the rain as it rains 145 days a year were I live (https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Florida/yearly-florida-rainfall.php#sf). That's 40% chance of rain! Even if it is not raining, if the streets are wet on a cloudy day where the sun doesn't dry up the rain, tires love to slip. I've seen a few people really like the NT555R. Too bad they don't fit my wheels. Somebody else agreed with you that the NT555R gets around 10K miles and the MT ET SS only get around 5K miles.

An earlier post said the MP 4S were better than the MT ET SS. However, maybe they meant in only in the rain, but I was thinking the dry traction of the MT ET SS were 'much' better than the MP 4S?

Somebody else said the R888 were better than the MP 4S. I would think the dry traction on the R888 is better than MP 4S, for wet traction, maybe the MP 4S is better. This website said MP 4S were better than the MPSS: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/michelins-new-pilot-sport-4s-better-pilot-super-sport/ It also said they were better than a few other tires, but since MP 4S are rated at 30K miles, I suspect they are not as sticky as some of the other tires with lesser of a treadwear rating.

I still think if you have the tires on your car now, just post your best forward acceleration (from your built-in G-force meter) on dry asphalt (not at the track where the road is extra sticky) and temperature. Some guy said the NT555R at a smaller width then my tires were about the same forward G-force (I think he had 305 and I have 325).

I doubt this info exists, but has anybody seen a link to stickiness versus temperature of the tire rubber on the same un-prepped asphalt road with the same weight loading for each of the popular compounds in the already listed tires?

Last edited:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
no tire hooks cold.
Every wonder why there is so many videos of
asshats (usually mustang owners sadly )
pulling out of the cruise spot punching the gas and getting sideways
into a pole or another car? :cheers:
Well of course. What I'm talking about is that the Cup 2s are not as grippy as say a MPSS out of your driveway but will stick considerably better after some heat gets in them. My experience anyway.

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
The 2018 zl1 camaro with 650 HP uses goodyear eagle F1 supercar 3R summer tires. Anybody have experience with these? Note they only have two sizes, 305/30ZR19 and 325/30ZR19. I'd keep my 295/30R19 MPSS on the fronts and replace the backs with these. The 650 HP camaro gets a 0-60 of 3.5 sec (in first gear without shifting?) with these, so my higher HP mustang with extra weight (SC adds 100 lbs also) should be slightly better (using 2nd gear the entire time without shifting?) if these tires actually hold in 2nd and are not horrible in wet conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Found this video of a Lambo Aventador (700 HP 4WD) vs Mustang Roush phase 2 (727 HP RWD):

[ame]

A lambo was on my list of desired cars, but a used 2004 lambo with high miles was still 2x the price of my brand new supercharged GT. I heard it costs $1250 for an oil change. I think I got a better deal :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Dodge Demon tires: Nitto NT05R 315/40R18 Dodge demon weight: 4280 lbs. and has 808 (91 octane) to 840 HP (100 octane) at the flywheel. Of course, the 0-60 times they publish are impossible to get on a normal street. They sometimes include a rollout where they don't count the time until the car starts to move which is ridiculous. They also take these numbers on a sticky road at a prepped dragstrip, not on a normal asphalt road. Of course, they use the 100 octane also. In any case, the tires will hold at 1.4 to 1.8 G on the dragstrip, but I can't find any data on the G-force on a normal virgin asphalt road. I really want to put the NT05R back as an option since they sell the 345/30R19 size, but the wet performance is horrible. Once the rear of the car starts slipping sideways in wet conditions, you don't want to waste your car because of the wrong tire purchase.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-the-demon-if-its-colder-than-15-degrees-out/
Nitto_NT05R.png
Sponsored