Draft letter to go out to dealers -- thoughts and experiences

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
This is what I have so far -- I don't want to be too nice, but would like to be respectful -- if anyone has anything relating to their own buying experience, I'd be interested in hearing about it:
Hello all,

I’m shopping for a dealer who will sell me a 2015 or 2016 Mustang GT:

*It will be a one payment purchase -- no trade in or financing.

Wish list:

Performance Package, or less likely maybe spoiler delete and 3.55 gears no base 18” wheels -- either the optional 5-spoke foundry wheels, or (if a premium) the optional 19” wheels -- must not have a spoiler.

Guard, Deep Impact, Magnetic, or maybe Ruby Red. The brighter colors are totally out.

Not sure about, but think I want Recaro seats.

I would want any panel fitment issues addressed before taking delivery.

I would want to test drive a retail order before paying for it

Don’t wash my car (if a retail order)

No dealer stickers

No drilled front bumper -- I’d like to purchase a “Sto-n-sho”

What I think I want is a Guard base GT (300a) with Recaro’s (67G) and the Performance Package (883). I will entertain looking at a premium and want to see cars on the lot, but will most likely want a retail order to get just what I want, and feel like a base GT with Recaro’s and Performance Package is the most Boss 302-like car. That said, I’ve not sat in any of the new Mustangs -- I’d like to compare them and test drive before ordering, if one meeting my requirements isn’t on the lot (I’ve been watching Autotrader incessantly, and there have only been a few come up optioned the way I want).

I’m looking to do an outright purchase with no financing and no trade in. I am eligible for X-plan through work, but would just as soon not use that with combined rebates, and instead get an agreed on price in writing on the order. The price I want - give or take a few hundred - is $32,800 (GT 300A, PP 67G, Recaros 883) which is essentially the same as X-plan with $2000 in rebates stacked on top, for an out-the-door price with MD tax potentially under 35k -- or about 31,400 without the Recaro 883 option if I decide I don’t like them. So that would include fuel, destination and delivery, state tax, and advertizing assessment. Some dealers list a document fee of up to $600, which is illegally high in some areas -- I’m not willing to pay more than about $120 or so for that - if a dealer needs to charge that much for the document fees, then the price has to give somewhere else to keep me close to 35k out the door. I *might* be willing to come up a tad to get an extended warranty if you can match or beat Flood Ford’s pricing: https://www.floodfordesp.com/index.php

I live in Rockville MD, but I’m willing to travel to work with a good dealer who is willing to give me the deal I want - Ideally they would be able to get a high priority on a retail order or have what I want on the lot, and have a highly rated service department. Hopefully there’s someone within 50 miles -- but I’d entertain going as far as 300 miles if I’m convinced that’s going to be the best deal and experience.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I just realized after posting that I've included my pre-tax price as the one that includes tax -- I'll be sure to edit that...

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
To me, this letter sounds like you don't know exactly what you want. If I was a sales person making commission based on options, I'd try to sell you a loaded one since you have some uncertainty.

I think you should test drive a few and narrow down what you want more closely before allowing so many "maybes" into the situation. I think dealers will be more willing to help out if you know exactly what you want - then state where you can flex after.

I walked into the dealer knowing exactly what I wanted option for option as I test drove a few. This allowed me (in my situation) to focus more on getting a good trade in value on my trade, then worry about the new car details second. I am using X-plan so granted I wasn't overly concerned on price.

Just my 2c.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
I think you need to do some more research and test drives.

FYI - if you want a PP GT you have no choice you get the black 19" wheels

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
To me, this letter sounds like you don't know exactly what you want. If I was a sales person making commission based on options, I'd try to sell you a loaded one since you have some uncertainty.

I think you should test drive a few and narrow down what you want more closely before allowing so many "maybes" into the situation. I think dealers will be more willing to help out if you know exactly what you want - then state where you can flex after.

I walked into the dealer knowing exactly what I wanted option for option as I test drove a few. This allowed me (in my situation) to focus more on getting a good trade in value on my trade, then worry about the new car details second. I am using X-plan so granted I wasn't overly concerned on price.

Just my 2c.
As I reread, I agree -- I should say what I want, and then say where I might flex in a separate paragraph.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I think you need to do some more research and test drives.

FYI - if you want a PP GT you have no choice you get the black 19" wheels
I get that -- I was trying to illustrate that I don't want a spoiler, but I might be persuaded that I don't need the Performance Pack. As it is, I'm about 99% in on the PP -- the only things that I'm on the fence about is having too much gear, and the weight that it adds...

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I get that -- I was trying to illustrate that I don't want a spoiler, but I might be persuaded that I don't need the Performance Pack. As it is, I'm about 99% in on the PP -- the only things that I'm on the fence about is having too much gear, and the weight that it adds...
With the PP, you GET the 19" wheels and no spoiler.

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
With the PP, you GET the 19" wheels and no spoiler.
You don't get the 19" square optional ones you can with the premium -- you get the black staggered ones... Maybe I should include all the option codes?

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I'm seeing now how easily misunderstood my letter is -- keep it coming, guys - good stuff that will save me a ton of time when talking to a salesperson!

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Maybe I should start with this:

What I want is a Guard base GT (300a) with Recaro’s (67G) and the Performance Package (883). I will entertain looking at a premium and want to see cars on the lot, but will most likely want a retail order to get just what I want, and feel like a base GT with Recaro’s and Performance Package is the most Boss 302-like car. That said, I’ve not sat in any of the new Mustangs -- I’d like to compare them and test drive before ordering, if one meeting my requirements isn’t on the lot (I’ve been watching Autotrader incessantly, and there have only been a few come up optioned the way I want).

and then add:

I might be convinced to take a car without the Performance Pack, or something other than Guard, but know I don't want a spoiler, base 18" wheels, (the 18" 5-spoke foundry wheels are okay),Ingot, or any of the opaque colors.

Better?

Sponsored

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
Hey man. Your letter is cool if it will help you organize your thoughts. However, you don't need a letter. You can ORDER your Mustang from the factory, built to your specifications.

You're in the right place -- Order, Price & Tracking. Here's what I recommend you do, man. First off, find a dealer that has a few Mustangs that are close to what you want on the lot. Go and test drive the car. Ask questions. Kick the tires. Compare the colors. Compare the wheels. Compare the seats. Compare the interiors. Listen to the stereos. Smell it. Feel it. Then decide what you're going to order.

When it's time to order, go to a dealer that does a lot of volume and ask about their allocation. There are threads in the forum to help you with this. What you want is perfectly reasonable and your order should be a piece of cake.

I waited 43 days from Order to Delivery. For a performance car that you're likely going to drive for years, 6-8 weeks is a piece of cake. When you order your car, there's no compromises or second guessing or regrets - its yours.

-SeventhWard

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
So people are in accord with my pricing?

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Here's the email that I used which I emailed to half a dozen local dealers... It worked pretty well. I ended up purchasing from one of the dealers substantially below invoice (although only one dealer offered a price below X-Plan).

I have been researching the 2015 Ford Mustang GT for several months, deciding which model, color and options I want, in anticipation of placing a custom order. During this time I have identified several Ford dealers in the Western Washington region who have helped me with answers to my questions. This request for pricing is being sent to multiple Ford dealers. I am not interested in purchasing from current dealer stock and I do not have a trade-in vehicle. This purchase will be financed, either through Ford Credit or another financial institution.

I have an X-Plan PIN but I am looking for a better price than is available through the X-Plan. Please provide your quote for the custom order of a 2015 Mustang GT with the following options.
 Mustang GT Premium Fastback 400A
 Mustang GT 401A Upgrade 401A
 Performance Package 67G
 Enhanced Security Package 43S
 Reverse Sensing System 77R
 Ruby Red RR

Ford Racing Touring Cat-Back Exhaust
 Installed Cost

My decision about where to buy will be made based on the following criteria:
1) Price
2) Dealer reputation (Customer Service, ease of transaction based on other customer’s experiences)
3) Responsiveness to my questions and requests for information
4) Knowledge of the Mustang product

Please respond by January 21, 2015. I plan to place my order no later than the first week of February, 2015.
Please provide your best price for the above order. Itemize the prices for each item including 2015 GT Premium, each option, Ford Racing Touring Cat-Back exhaust, Washington State Sales Tax, Destination and Delivery charges, License, available discounts or promotions, (such as dealer or factory rebates or incentives). Indicate any other charges which I would incur for the purchase of this vehicle from your dealership. I want to see the complete, out-the-door price for my purchase.
Please indicate the deposit payment required to place the order.

Thank you. I look forward to your response.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Maybe I should start with this:

What I want is a Guard base GT (300a) with Recaro’s (67G) and the Performance Package (883). I will entertain looking at a premium and want to see cars on the lot, but will most likely want a retail order to get just what I want, and feel like a base GT with Recaro’s and Performance Package is the most Boss 302-like car. That said, I’ve not sat in any of the new Mustangs -- I’d like to compare them and test drive before ordering, if one meeting my requirements isn’t on the lot (I’ve been watching Autotrader incessantly, and there have only been a few come up optioned the way I want).

and then add:

I might be convinced to take a car without the Performance Pack, or something other than Guard, but know I don't want a spoiler, base 18" wheels, (the 18" 5-spoke foundry wheels are okay),Ingot, or any of the opaque colors.

Better?
Keystone Ford in Chambersburg, PA...better there than anywhere in Maryland by far!

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Here's the email that I used which I emailed to half a dozen local dealers... It worked pretty well. I ended up purchasing from one of the dealers substantially below invoice (although only one dealer offered a price below X-Plan).

I have been researching the 2015 Ford Mustang GT for several months, deciding which model, color and options I want, in anticipation of placing a custom order. During this time I have identified several Ford dealers in the Western Washington region who have helped me with answers to my questions. This request for pricing is being sent to multiple Ford dealers. I am not interested in purchasing from current dealer stock and I do not have a trade-in vehicle. This purchase will be financed, either through Ford Credit or another financial institution.

I have an X-Plan PIN but I am looking for a better price than is available through the X-Plan. Please provide your quote for the custom order of a 2015 Mustang GT with the following options.
 Mustang GT Premium Fastback 400A
 Mustang GT 401A Upgrade 401A
 Performance Package 67G
 Enhanced Security Package 43S
 Reverse Sensing System 77R
 Ruby Red RR

Ford Racing Touring Cat-Back Exhaust
 Installed Cost

My decision about where to buy will be made based on the following criteria:
1) Price
2) Dealer reputation (Customer Service, ease of transaction based on other customer’s experiences)
3) Responsiveness to my questions and requests for information
4) Knowledge of the Mustang product

Please respond by January 21, 2015. I plan to place my order no later than the first week of February, 2015.
Please provide your best price for the above order. Itemize the prices for each item including 2015 GT Premium, each option, Ford Racing Touring Cat-Back exhaust, Washington State Sales Tax, Destination and Delivery charges, License, available discounts or promotions, (such as dealer or factory rebates or incentives). Indicate any other charges which I would incur for the purchase of this vehicle from your dealership. I want to see the complete, out-the-door price for my purchase.
Please indicate the deposit payment required to place the order.

Thank you. I look forward to your response.
Thanks for such a detailed response -- do you mind if I borrow pieces of your letter?
Sponsored