Sponsored

Noise from Transmission that comes up through shifter

blckoutGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey folks.

Curious if this is normal for you guys. While driving, there is a good bit of road noise / transmission noise that comes up through the shifter. If I lift up on the collar as if i was putting the vehicle in reverse, the sound goes completely away and my interior is dead quiet.

I can also use the webbing inbetween my thumb and index finger to create a "seal" under the shift knob and do the same thing.

Is this normal or is something up? It is starting to really bug me. I like the silence (listening to engine and exhaust)

2017 Mustang GT Coupe
6 Speed Manual Transmission
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have had this for 12k miles. Lift up on the collar and it goes away. Haven't looked into it as there's much bigger fish to fry with this car currently. Might be a bad O ring or worn bottom.

OP
OP

blckoutGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have had this for 12k miles. Lift up on the collar and it goes away. Haven't looked into it as there's much bigger fish to fry with this car currently. Might be a bad O ring or worn bottom.
good to know I am not the only one. I think I'm going to take mine to the dealership and have them look at it.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
You don't hear it as much once the rest of the car starts rattling all over, lol.

I did notice this sound around 1k miles, it probably did it from new, but I never noticed since I always had the radio on before that. Mine sounds like a scratching or hissing sound in first and sometimes second.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yep pretty normal.
The manual just has too big of a hole for nose to come though.
I am temped to remove the center console and add more sound insulation to the area.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
You could try the Steeda or Barton reverse lockout collar. They both use a rubber O-Ring that fits fairly snug over the shaft.

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
Mine has some noise too it's normal . You can switch the fluid if you wish and it will help some , or get an automatic , every manual car I've ever owned I could hear the tranny if i listened for it. Sometimes I believe we get a little too anal about our cars and look for problems that don't exist . These forums are worth their weight in gold for all the info we can get from them . But we have to realize that the posts in them only represent a fraction of all the mustangs out there . If it's shifting and working as it should listen to some music and enjoy your ride , or do as i did and install X-pipe and Roush axle back exhaust and listen to the music that Coyote makes .

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I fix the noises in my car by turning the knob on the dash labeled "VOL".

OP
OP

blckoutGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You could try the Steeda or Barton reverse lockout collar. They both use a rubber O-Ring that fits fairly snug over the shaft.
This is what im trying.

Going to pick up the Barton black billet as well as a ford performance shift knob to compliment it.

I'll report back here my findings! :cheers:
Sponsored