Sponsored

Anyone regret getting a manual?

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Triumph Thunderbird
Honestly the manual trans on this car is the one thing that may keep me from getting the Mustang. I've been looking at everything from Hellcat to Camaro ZL1/1LE and back again to GT.

Overall I prefer the balance/looks of the mustang. Originally wanted an auto but realized weekend only car and I don't drag race so while I want big power the manual is the more
"fun" buy for me. But frankly the MT82 is garbage compared to some of the transmission out there today. The tremec in the Camaro is so much nicer - it's frustrating. because the 17GT Premium is such a great buy now cost wise and I prefer looks of the stang. in fact it's such a good buy I can add a pro charger, half and drive shafts, clutch and short shifter and still only be a few grand more than a 1LE.

I want to buy the GT but the transmission is such a buzz kill.
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
For me...a bigger problem than the transmission in itself is the rev hang. I'm so used to shifting in my Focus ST, which has a significantly shorter rev hang, therefore shifting way quicker. Then I drive the 'stang and I feel like a noob for the first few miles.

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the Gt350 had an auto, I would have went that route. I knew the manual would not be a reliable unit for my planned future mods.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Problems I never experienced. The only thing I didn't like about it was how sloppy it was. Kartboy short shift plate and bearing fixed that.
6ft 4 with 38 length legs, its a tall person problem probably not so much the clutch/stick in that car. lol

BarefooTonka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
No Regrets and it's the only way a man drives a sports car LOL JK Seriously though way better driving experience and I sit and commute in Northern VA traffic just becomes second nature...

Call me old fashioned, but it's a shame nobody wants to learn or put forth a little effort anymore...paddle shifters smdh what's the world coming to

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
No Regrets and it's the only way a man drives a sports car LOL JK Seriously though way better driving experience and I sit and commute in Northern VA traffic just becomes second nature...

Call me old fashioned, but it's a shame nobody wants to learn or put forth a little effort anymore...paddle shifters smdh what's the world coming to
You misunderstood my post. I enjoy driving a manual immensly. The mustang is my weekend toy. I just wish the mt82 was a more refined tranny.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly the manual trans on this car is the one thing that may keep me from getting the Mustang. I've been looking at everything from Hellcat to Camaro ZL1/1LE and back again to GT.

Overall I prefer the balance/looks of the mustang. Originally wanted an auto but realized weekend only car and I don't drag race so while I want big power the manual is the more
"fun" buy for me. But frankly the MT82 is garbage compared to some of the transmission out there today. The tremec in the Camaro is so much nicer - it's frustrating. because the 17GT Premium is such a great buy now cost wise and I prefer looks of the stang. in fact it's such a good buy I can add a pro charger, half and drive shafts, clutch and short shifter and still only be a few grand more than a 1LE.

I want to buy the GT but the transmission is such a buzz kill.
You're MGW and BG fluid away from it feeling great.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thats what I thought, $700 later I am not that impressed with the results.
Odd. I drove [MENTION=17191]mindys[/MENTION] car with it, and it felt fantastic. No nibbling, no imprecision. Just smooth, direct shifts.

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
You guys are starting to make me think maybe there is something wrong with my trans. Anyone of you happy mt82 owners located on long island,NY?

Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Love my MT82. MGW, Amsoil Synchromesh, stainless clutch line, and Steeda clutch spring make it pretty much perfect. My car is Whippled, puts down 725rwhp and I shift it at 7500-7800 rpm. No complaints here!

I let one of my buddies drive it that had a built fox with a nice T56. He came back raving about how much he liked my trans. I got a good laugh and said "if you only knew!" Lol

BarefooTonka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
You misunderstood my post. I enjoy driving a manual immensly. The mustang is my weekend toy. I just wish the mt82 was a more refined tranny.
Yea...Guess I misunderstood the question "Anyone Regret getting a manual?" :frusty:

Seems like you have buyers remorse and just want to vent because the tranny isn't as "refined" as you want. But lets be honest the tranny was like this when you test drove it and ultimately purchased it so not sure what the issue is here:shrug:

This would be the equivalent of me whining that my coyote is a 5.0 not a 6L like the scat pac and camaro

There's many threads on here about the tranny/shifter and quick fixes that improve the feel I would focus on those to get your desired feel, but to be honest you may never get it exactly the way you want

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Triumph Thunderbird
Yea...Guess I misunderstood the question "Anyone Regret getting a manual?" :frusty:

Seems like you have buyers remorse and just want to vent because the tranny isn't as "refined" as you want. But lets be honest the tranny was like this when you test drove it and ultimately purchased it so not sure what the issue is here:shrug:

This would be the equivalent of me whining that my coyote is a 5.0 not a 6L like the scat pac and camaro

There's many threads on here about the tranny/shifter and quick fixes that improve the feel I would focus on those to get your desired feel, but to be honest you may never get it exactly the way you want
Eh I guess you could say that he knew what he was getting but I don't think it's wrong to say he wished the car had a better manual. It's really not a great manual compared to many out there. though. It's just frustrating, I happily would have paid $1,000 more to get a tremec in there.

BenGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
My MT82 feels like the tranny in my 1992 Nissan Maxima. That being said, I got this car because I wanted a comfortable V8 manual transmission. Previous car was a Lexus ISF and it left me wanting a manual almost every time I drove it. There is nothing like rowing through gears in a manual. Smoothest most accurate transmissions I have ever driven were Hondas.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Even a shitty one like the MT-82 is more fun than an automatic.
I have had worse manual transmissions.
Sponsored