Sponsored

Oil consumption got worse. Not sure what to do. Should I sell the car?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I do a lot of engine braking and my car doesn't burn oil. I do not run at 4,000 + RPM at a constant speed, though. Typically if the engine is above 3,500 RPM I have the throttle wide open.

So my belief is that engine braking isn't the cause, unless you are engine braking at a super high RPM. My engine braking on the street is all below 4,000 RPM as well. I don't rev to 6 or 7k RPM and engine brake from a gear that suits those high RPMs. Seems wasteful and excessively hard on the engine to me.
Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I do a lot of engine braking and my car doesn't burn oil. I do not run at 4,000 + RPM at a constant speed, though. Typically if the engine is above 3,500 RPM I have the throttle wide open.

So my belief is that engine braking isn't the cause, unless you are engine braking at a super high RPM. My engine braking on the street is all below 4,000 RPM as well. I don't rev to 6 or 7k RPM and engine brake from a gear that suits those high RPMs. Seems wasteful and excessively hard on the engine to me.
I can't remember exactly but I believe 75-80mph is about 4k RPM in 5th gear - which is where I end up a lot.

Not sure about the OP's engine braking, but my engine braking aligns with yours - never from 6-7k --- unless we're counting momentary throttle lifts and even at 4 and 5k I'm on the brakes so it's coming down fast.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
7/100? You have the extended? I believe the regular factory powertrain is 5/60.

I definitely will be purchasing the extended for mine before 10k, though
Yes you are correct here is what it states, still a very long time and it covers a lot of items like seals and even the water pump and thermostat.

Extended warranty coverage periods are available for certain
vehicle parts and conditions. Specifically,​
(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or
60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to
the​
Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads,
electrical fuel pump, powertrain control module, engine mounts,
flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts,
oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, engine thermostat, engine
thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),

turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
What if I keep the car and keep adding oil? Whats the worst that can happen? Please serious answers only.

Financially I dont care about the cost of oil. My plan was to keep this car 30-40 years and keep it in the family.
There is something seriously wrong. I have added 1/2qt of oil now in 6400 miles. Changed oil at 750 miles and again at 6000 miles (the half qt came between the oil changes so ½ qt in roughly 5250 miles. Your only options are sell it, or bring to Ford to fix... In my opinion, this unfortunately is not going to be a good car to keep outside of a warranty. 30-40 years? Not possible. Maybe if you don't ever drive it.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
There is something seriously wrong. I have added 1/2qt of oil now in 6400 miles. Changed oil at 750 miles and again at 6000 miles (the half qt came between the oil changes so ½ qt in roughly 5250 miles. Your only options are sell it, or bring to Ford to fix... In my opinion, this unfortunately is not going to be a good car to keep outside of a warranty. 30-40 years? Not possible. Maybe if you don't ever drive it.
My solution would be to trade it in or sell it. Personally, I would not own a car that uses oil. My 17 GT350 has 1300 miles on it at the moment and hasn't used a drop yet and I haven't held back driving it. If it ever started using oil like some here have outlined, it'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My solution would be to trade it in or sell it. Personally, I would not own a car that uses oil. My 17 GT350 has 1300 miles on it at the moment and hasn't used a drop yet and I haven't held back driving it. If it ever started using oil like some here have outlined, it'd be gone in a heartbeat.
Why sell / trade before attempting a diagnosis / warranty repair ?

Last edited:

tom185

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So if your 17 starts using/burning ANY oil, you will be getting rid of it? Or do you mean if it starts using a crazy amount like some here have experienced? I ask that because the oil consumption figures of this vehicle have been well articulated by Ford as to what they consider potential use, based on very aggressive driving.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
So if your 17 starts using/burning ANY oil, you will be getting rid of it? Or do you mean if it starts using a crazy amount like some here have experienced? I ask that because the oil consumption figures of this vehicle have been well articulated by Ford as to what they consider potential use, based on very aggressive driving.
I think I've explained myself in another thread. I've never owned a vehicle that uses oil with the exception of my very first car in the 60's, and it was a used acquisition that I had no control over before I got it.

Even my very first new car, which had a horrible reputation back in the day for using oil, the venerable Chevy Vega. I owned that car for three years and it didn't use oil.

I'm used to driving a car an entire year between oil changes without any perceptible oil consumption. I own a number of vehicles and as such I do not put a lot of miles on any of them. Average annual mileage for me is 4000 to 6000 miles.

To answer your question directly, if the car were to use a little between oil changes I'd probably live with it. But if it starts doing what some members are experiencing it's gone.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
My car consumed virtually no oil in daily driving which consisted of a lot of slow (<25 mph) stop-and-go on the highway and basically no red-line pulls because there's literally nowhere to do it where I live except pulling out onto the main road.

On track when I was in the high rev range all the time. I'd see roughly Ford's expected usage, 1/2 to 3/4th quart for a full track day. I've never owned a Ferrari or any other exotic, but if I'm not mistaken, they burn oil in performance situations too.

I think too many people are buying an exotic engine and expecting it to have the same maintenance parameters a the 4-cylinder in a Camry.

Sorry, but thems the breaks. Pay to play and all that. I suspect the reason why most people here don't want a GT or ZL1 is because they're not "special" or "exotic" engines. Not that I think that matters especially or agree, just throwing that out there.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My car consumed virtually no oil in daily driving which consisted of a lot of slow (<25 mph) stop-and-go on the highway and basically no red-line pulls because there's literally nowhere to do it where I live except pulling out onto the main road.

On track when I was in the high rev range all the time. I'd see roughly Ford's expected usage, 1/2 to 3/4th quart for a full track day. I've never owned a Ferrari or any other exotic, but if I'm not mistaken, they burn oil in performance situations too.

I think too many people are buying an exotic engine and expecting it to have the same maintenance parameters a the 4-cylinder in a Camry.

Sorry, but thems the breaks. Pay to play and all that. I suspect the reason why most people here don't want a GT or ZL1 is because they're not "special" or "exotic" engines. Not that I think that matters especially or agree, just throwing that out there.
Exactly and one of the reasons manufactures don't want to produce these type of vehicles!

Kudo's to Ford for building this vehicle but I think with the perceived engine issues they will never build this type of engine again after 2018. I would be curious to know if they changed anything in the 2018s piston and ring package though?

I personally do not have a problem adding some oil once in awhile for the amount of fun and smiles this car provides. The one thing that concerns me and probably most others is if people blow this out of proportion then the cars used will really tank in price for a perceived non defect.

With 5 year 60 k powertrain warranty there really is not much to worry about as far as the powertrain is concerned. My only advice too most is do not put a tune on these cars if you are concerned about warranty coverage.

Sponsored
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have decided to give this a try one more time where I will drive the car normally for 500 miles, which is shifting below 2500 rpm and nothing above 4500 under no circumstances and check the oil usage/catch can oil build up.

In the event that there is no oil consumption, this still does raise another question - is this normal? In other words, having oil consumption with my aggressive driving habits. Because I am seeing people come here and post things like "my car does not use any oil whatsoever, even when I track it".

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have decided to give this a try one more time where I will drive the car normally for 500 miles, which is shifting below 2500 rpm and nothing above 4500 under no circumstances and check the oil usage/catch can oil build up.

In the event that there is no oil consumption, this still does raise another question - is this normal? In other words, having oil consumption with my aggressive driving habits. Because I am seeing people come here and post things like "my car does not use any oil whatsoever, even when I track it".
I think that they do not drive as aggressive as they personally think but that's is just my opinion.

There are probably few who are also using oil but not admitting it for whatever reason.

To do a true proper oil consumption test you need to fully drain the oil and change the filter. Add the appropriate amount of 10 qts and drive for a predetermined mileage usually 1000 miles. I think the oil level should be monitored with the dipstick the whole time. If the oil level happens to get below a readable value on the dipstick.

I would then drain the oil and measure and weigh it to determine with accuracy what the actual oil consumption value.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think that they do not drive as aggressive as they personally think but that's is just my opinion.

There are probably few who are also using oil but not admitting it for whatever reason.

To do a true proper oil consumption test you need to fully drain the oil and change the filter. Add the appropriate amount of 10 qts and drive for a predetermined mileage usually 1000 miles. I think the oil level should be monitored with the dipstick the whole time. If the oil level happens to get below a readable value on the dipstick.

I would then drain the oil and measure and weigh it to determine with accuracy what the actual oil consumption value.
I can do that actually, have a 4 post lift, tools, and all the time in the world:)

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

with the low tension rings, high rpm, low load theory, if you drove your car like an automatic, then it should prevent ring flutter related oil consumption. Meaning you can run the revs high, just don't loiter there, keep shifting toward the tall gears until you get to 2000. Downshifting as needed, but then shifting to the tall gears again.
Sponsored