Sponsored

S550 GT500 in Car and Driver

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
That sounds a cool line-up. I thought the EB3.5 was too wide for the S550 engine bay though. I'd suspect the same would be try of the 7 litre?

So, I'd "settle" for:

GT500/KR EB 5.2
Mach 1 supercharged 5.0
Bullitt

:ford:
That's where the Mustang's 3.5 would differ from the FGT. The GT uses an actual parallel twin turbo while the Mustangs could use a Powerstroke version of the Turbo set up for the Mustangs.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
3.5 is twin turbo, one on each side of the V. Powerstroke is single sequential turbo (SST). Plus, it has reverse flow heads so the exhaust exits towards the center of the V.

I don't think it's realistic for them to totally redesign the engine and engine bay to accommodate reverse flow heads and center mount turbo.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
3.5 is twin turbo, one on each side of the V. Powerstroke is single sequential turbo (SST). Plus, it has reverse flow heads so the exhaust exits towards the center of the V.

I don't think it's realistic for them to totally redesign the engine and engine bay to accommodate reverse flow heads and center mount turbo.
That is what I thought... but the "Powerstroke" Hot V Turbo design IS currently in production. No telling what kinda $ was saved.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
No part of powerstroke diesel engine could be used so it's irrelevant.

Sponsored

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
That is what I thought... but the "Powerstroke" Hot V Turbo design IS currently in production. No telling what kinda $ was saved.
You gotta remember the EBV6 like most V6 engines is a 60 degree angle and is very narrow. The valley is likely not as deep as a V8 also. This means there may not be enough physical room to get a decent exhaust manifold design and turbo in there. I'm sure it's possible but may not be optimal. The injectors are in there too I believe.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
You gotta remember the EBV6 like most V6 engines is a 60 degree angle and is very narrow. The valley is likely not as deep as a V8 also. This means there may not be enough physical room to get a decent exhaust manifold design and turbo in there. I'm sure it's possible but may not be optimal. The injectors are in there too I believe.
I think the Hot V configuration is limited to the DOHC V8.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I'm not sold on Ford using the TT3.5 in a Mustang JUST to embarrass the ZL1 dollar for dollar, HP for HP.

If you examine the "Powerstroke" configuration, you can see that the Sequential Turbo is technically a Hot V. BMW has a compact design that requires very little hood buldge.

We also need to revisit the possibility that Ford is testing a Parallel Twin/BiT Turbo for a V8, similar to what the Ford GT uses now. Members here initially thought that an honest TT wouldn't fit at first... with a longer nose, who knows?

I think there is a Twin Scroll Ecoboost V8 (single Turbo Hot V) and a Twin/BiT Hot V configuration.

The Flat hooded Mustang in Detroit is the trst bed for the SC Mach 1 OR, the 2019 GT350.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Except the entire layout of the intake/exhaust, which is a HUGE factory of turbo position.
Layout design can be done on a napkin. Engineering parts for completely different diesel and gasoline engines exhaust and intake requirements is a different story. If they chose (i doubt it) to create a unique reverse flow cylinder head, intake & exhaust. Their decision was not based on the powerstroke giving a head start.

Twin turbo, twin scroll exhaust housing EFR 7064 or 7163 mounted on cast manifolds would allow most engineering money to be spent on cooling and testing. Standard off the shelf turbos (only require unique compact cast housings), conventional forged pistons & rods, production heads etc.. The only thing you need to change to existing layout is move the A/C lines that stick straight up our of the compressor. They kind of block the area where intake would run.

But hey who knows. maybe it'll have dual compound turbo supercharger. Single turbo creating 5 psi boost and supercharger bumping that up to 20 psi.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Layout design can be done on a napkin. Engineering parts for completely different diesel and gasoline engines exhaust and intake requirements is a different story. If they chose (i doubt it) to create a unique reverse flow cylinder head, intake & exhaust. Their decision was not based on the powerstroke giving a head start.

Twin turbo, twin scroll exhaust housing EFR 7064 or 7163 mounted on cast manifolds would allow most engineering money to be spent on cooling and testing. Standard off the shelf turbos (only require unique compact cast housings), conventional forged pistons & rods, production heads etc.. The only thing you need to change to existing layout is move the A/C lines that stick straight up our of the compressor. They kind of block the area where intake would run.

But hey who knows. maybe it'll have dual compound turbo supercharger. Single turbo creating 5 psi boost and supercharger bumping that up to 20 psi.
I understand the difference however, now that PDI is available (as reported), the entire system CAN mimic the Powerstrokes layout, specifically speaking, the reverse head placement and backwards exhaust.

It occurred to me very early on, that many people don't understand the Hot V configuration. Seeing a hood buldge doesn't mean Supercharged only...

I agree, there is very little room to do a Twin/BiT turbo configuration like the Cobra Jet or AMG, but I can't even say that for certain. An extended front fascia could free up some room and a Parallel Turbo could be used.

Although, "Project Silver" originally intended on having either the FGT's TT V6 OR, it was destined for an EBV8. In 2013, Ford decided on the FGT and TTV6 for LM.

The engine(s) that Ford was playing with (3 or 4 different Ecoboost V8's) for an IMSA GT Class GT500 will be the framework for the production EBV8.

It very well could be of Powerstroke (Twin Force) in nature... meaning it has the "Scorpion Tail" exhaust exiting from the top of the engine, where the Sequential Turbo sits (Hot V).

The reason being is, this Ecoboost V8 is intended to be shared with the High Performance Truck line and sharing a Hot V configuration would reduce cost, help packaging and hopefully, allow the big V8 to gather cool air from the top of the hood.
Sponsored