Sponsored

6.5" JL Audio Micro Sub + 250/1 JL Amp + LC7i LOC

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
Coming from a 2016 BMW M4, I was extremely disappointed with the stereo in the GT350. I knew I shouldn't expect anything better than the M4 but the complete lack of bass was astonishing. I knew I wanted to upgrade the sound but wasn't sure which route to take. Should I upgrade just the speakers and throw on a 4Channel amp to get more rounded overall sound? Or should I add a sub, but one that was going to add subtle amounts of bass, not anything too overpowering?

After talking to a few shops I decided that I would first add a micro sub and amp, then continue the speaker upgrades later on down the road. As for the sub, I didn't want it to take up trunk space so I instructed the techs to mount everything in the non-existing-spare-tire compartment. They installed the complete setup in the space beneath the sub floor and routed the remote controller just under the front dash. Overall, it looks just as I expected it too and am extremely happy with the added bass. The techs at the audio shop were surprised themselves, how much a 6.5in sub can put out if box/ported properly. Here it is:

31301558933_5ac95f4695_k.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Pics aren't showing. How much did everything run if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pics aren't showing. How much did everything run if you don't mind me asking?

Works when I pull it up on my pc, you viewing from mobile?

All in (parts/labor) it was just over $800. Could have been cheaper had I purchased parts from Amazon, but they're so hit or miss with electronics arriving busted, I didn't want to risk it. Ended up ordering everything from Crutchfield minus the wiring kit/remote. That way I know if anything has issues, they'll stand behind their products.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
No Pics

Works when I pull it up on my pc, you viewing from mobile?

All in (parts/labor) it was just over $800. Could have been cheaper had I purchased parts from Amazon, but they're so hit or miss with electronics arriving busted, I didn't want to risk it. Ended up ordering everything from Crutchfield minus the wiring kit/remote. That way I know if anything has issues, they'll stand behind their products.
No Pics from a PC. :ford::ford::ford::ford::ford:

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Curious why you opted for sub over speaker upgrade? What did your sub weigh?

Sponsored

cattivo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geno
Vehicle(s)
17GT350
JL also makes a flat mount sub, which I had installed in the spare tire well. Because of needed air volume, they had to have it a sit bit above the trunk floor. So, they replaced the flimsy cover with a wooden one to even the grill with the floor. That was the intent anyway, it's still about a half inch higher, but doesn't affect much of the types of things I'm likely to carry back there anyway. This is a 12; so a 10 incher would be able to be much more flush, or below. The amp is mounted in the right side cut out. That's the air compressor above the sub.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it was Imgur that was throwing it off. I could have gone with a bigger sub but I really wasn't looking for a lot of bass, just a good blend. This setup really gets it there. The only thing that bothers me with trunk subs is that the bass is noticeably focused in the rear. Once I upgrade the speakers I think it'll be much easier to get balanced sound, especially with a DSP.

Pretty sure the sub weighs 17lbs.

This is the link to the sub: 6.5" Micro Sub - JL Audio

Here's another try:

Socal350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryant
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2008 Mustang GT
Coming from a 2016 BMW M4, I was extremely disappointed with the stereo in the GT350. I knew I shouldn't expect anything better than the M4 but the complete lack of bass was astonishing. I knew I wanted to upgrade the sound but wasn't sure which route to take. Should I upgrade just the speakers and throw on a 4Channel amp to get more rounded overall sound? Or should I add a sub, but one that was going to add subtle amounts of bass, not anything too overpowering?

After talking to a few shops I decided that I would first add a micro sub and amp, then continue the speaker upgrades later on down the road. As for the sub, I didn't want it to take up trunk space so I instructed the techs to mount everything in the non-existing-spare-tire compartment. They installed the complete setup in the space beneath the sub floor and routed the remote controller just under the front dash. Overall, it looks just as I expected it too and am extremely happy with the added bass. The techs at the audio shop were surprised themselves, how much a 6.5in sub can put out if box/ported properly. Here it is:
Looks good [MENTION=27185]Relak[/MENTION]! :thumbsup:

I'm sure that 6.5in sub can put out some nice bass without it being over the top! Been considering making some audio changes to my car but that might be down the road a bit. Have to save money for other mods at the moment haha

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Hey Ralek - can you list off the components you went with and what speakers you plan on going with as well?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

I wont be doing a audio mod as i really do not listen to the radio in this car, really! I did have the exact same setup you have in a previous car. The JL micro sub is awesome!!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Ralek - can you list off the components you went with and what speakers you plan on going with as well?
Sure thing. I went with the following setup:

JL Audio's Micro Sub CP106LG-W3v3

LC7i Line out converter

JL Audio's 250/1 Monoblock Amp

Morrel makes a 3 way component setup that would fit the front doors and tweeter pillar perfectly, but I don't want to pay $1k plus for speakers.

For the front's I'm likely to go with: Kicker 43CSS674 Component Setup

For the rears I'm likely to go with: Kicker 43CSC674

and to power them I'm keeping the levels moderate and the price down with:
Pioneer GM-D8604

I thought an LC7i would be enough to make me happy, because I was under the belief that replacing the front speakers and powering them with an amp would be enough to finish the system, but looks like the head unit is extremely limiting. For that, I'm likely going to need to get a DSP and swap the LC7i out. For simplicity's sake and to retain the factory equalizer functionality, I'm going to switch the LC7i out for the JL audio's FiX86

JL Audio FiX 86 Sound Processor

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Great thread. Once you're done, please share what the upgrade minus sub sound like.

OP
OP
Relak

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Alaskan9974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 gt premium & '17 gt350
JL also makes a flat mount sub, which I had installed in the spare tire well. Because of needed air volume, they had to have it a sit bit above the trunk floor. So, they replaced the flimsy cover with a wooden one to even the grill with the floor. That was the intent anyway, it's still about a half inch higher, but doesn't affect much of the types of things I'm likely to carry back there anyway. This is a 12; so a 10 incher would be able to be much more flush, or below. The amp is mounted in the right side cut out. That's the air compressor above the sub.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg
That looks great. Do you know what components you used? I had two jl 12's in my 2016 GT, a bit much but I think just one will be fine.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
JL FiX 86 and Speakers are on their way. I opted for a higher quality speaker setup though, as I wanted silk dome tweeters.

Component Speakers for Front Doors:

Rear Deck Coaxial Speakers:

Will install hopefully this upcoming weekend
Which speakers did you end up going with?
Sponsored