azurebluemach

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1
Oh, I'd rather have a shaker, too.........although there would be ZERO chance of that passing any Euro Pedestrian tests, should we be lucky enough to have a Mach 1 in Europe ;)
Are there rules about hood height in Europe?
Sponsored

zillah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT Premium PP
I would love to have a shortened width gt350 hood with the same extractor in the front center part of the hood and have the matte black stripe start from where the extractor ends and then meet at a shaker hood scoop towards the back center of the hood. Not sure if that makes sense or if it would look good, but my thought is to have the air pass through the fender and then run straight into the hood scoop.

I am not a car designer so who knows if that would make sense or not.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Whats the point of bringing back the Mach 1 and not having queues on it from the past? GT350 and GT500 all play homage to their predecessors in tasteful ways. Why not the Mach 1?

IG: rcodemach1
The name "Mach 1" doesn't equal "old" "the past" etc.

It's thinking like that which hinders progress.

The GT350 does resemble the old one at all other than it is N/A (unless you order a white and blue paint scheme). You can't speak for the gt500 as it isn't out yet. And we aren't talking s197 which had the purpose of looking retro to death.

And for the record I am not against cues from the past so long as there is a genuine purpose for them other than to say "look! That one thing from that old car!"

The shaker hood was awesome for its time. Somewhat functional (in newer versions) and definitely cool to see. It originated at a time when aero wasn't so big a deal and when tacked on additions to a car were cool.

We are far removed from that.

The Mustang keeps getting held back for nostalgia she when it should be leading and innovating.

It isn't the same look of the old cars that make s Mustang a Mustang. It is the same SPIRIT that car was born with.

An affordable domestic exotic with models to suit the secretary all the way up to the most demanding racer.

You can have a tame one, a fun one, or an outright King of the road.

The Musyang was innovative for its time when it came out. The design was fresh and cool. The tribar tail lights. The shark fins near the grill, the c scoops, etc.

Subsequent models saw other signature innovative cues such as the awesome shaker hood.

In other words it was NEW FRESH AND MODERN then.

We need a renaissance like that.

Don't just copy the old thing and put the "nostalgia" excuse on a lack of innovation, imagination, or engineering ability.

Find a way to forge a fire in doing something new and fresh in the same spirit of that older innovation.

I can see a shaker copy IF it did something like Saleen with the active vents in the scoop and only if it made a difference in performance.

I can see it working as a cold air intake for an FI engine for example.

But even then, it needs some reworking with where the filter is applied, it's shape, it's place in the airflow channel, etc.

But even better if it was something new and so cool that we don't even think of the old shaker because we have something new NOW that reinvents that spirit in a tangible way that makes the world go "wow" again. Instead of "ok. Nostalgia."

Ford has done a great job with the s550 but even so, it is held back in terms of too much retro for nostalgia sake. This even after we were promised by J Mays that the retro would be done away with for a modern design.

I get it. It's the 50th anniversary car. It had to carry over an entire product line worth of history.

But it's past time for a Mustang that does what they did in the 60's when there was no old car to copy.

Take tomorrow's performance and design and build it today.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Part of the attraction of the shaker, performance aside, was that you could see part of the engine with the hood closed.

Whilst not the same, how about a glass/perpex panel on the hood so you can see the engine through it? It looked good on the Vette, and it looked good on this GAS SEMA concept.

Hmmm

If it wasn't done on the vette already it would be good.

What about a former glass panel like that, but former into a scoop at the top and in one piece also featuring a glass funnel ducting air into the filter. All visible from the outside. Too expensive but kind of a neat idea.

sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pony Package
Exactly.

Instead of copying old stuff why don't we see an equivalent cool NEW way of doing it that establishes the Mach 1 signature going forward.

We don't need a shaker hood. But something that is noticeable unique and functional with equivalent cool factor.
always thought the "ram air" on recent pontiac's were the best modern implementation: (i have no informed opinion on their effectiveness however :))

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
always thought the "ram air" on recent pontiac's were the best modern implementation: (i have no informed opinion on their effectiveness however :))

I have to agree a bit here.

The TransvAm even has s mechanism to draw the water out if it was raining.

I believe the numbers were that there was about a 20 ho increase at speed. It was a Mostar direct route than the sn95 Mach 1 took and was integrated as well for a cleaner look. But the scoop didn't move with the engine twist. So that part isn't as cool visually.

azurebluemach

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1
I have to agree a bit here.

The TransvAm even has s mechanism to draw the water out if it was raining.

I believe the numbers were that there was about a 20 ho increase at speed. It was a Mostar direct route than the sn95 Mach 1 took and was integrated as well for a cleaner look. But the scoop didn't move with the engine twist. So that part isn't as cool visually.

Meh, there's no homage to the past there. Depending on how it looks, I'm planning on buying one of the new Mach's, but I wouldn't if Ford did something like this. If that was the case, I think I'd look toward an S197 Boss 302. It really needs to have a shaker hood IMO.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Meh, there's no homage to the past there. Depending on how it looks, I'm planning on buying one of the new Mach's, but I wouldn't if Ford did something like this. If that was the case, I think I'd look toward an S197 Boss 302. It really needs to have a shaker hood IMO.

That's what I'm saying.

It falls short.

But so does the nostalgia stuff.

The market for old homage is shrinking.

Part of what attracts the younger crowd to imports is the fact that it's fresh styling.

Cue the "ricer" comments.

But take the Mustang ahead into the truly modern era and there is simply no reason to look elsewhere.

Take the spirit of the original shaker hood and rethink it. Reengineer it until you have something that mKes total sense from s functionality perspective. Then engineer that so it makes a "wow!" Statement from a visual perspective. Maybe instead of s small scoop section, the entire size of the hood can move. maybe combine significant heat extraction and ram air into the same hood. Or maybe something altogether different. Take the fog light housings and have a scoop surround the fog on each side with the screened air ducted to the filter. Or dual filters.

Then have a prominent section of the hood attached to the engine with heat extraction instead of air. That would be cool to see while driving and it would be more aerodynamic.

So many possibilities other than "that one thing from that old car."

And I really hope they change the badge.

In the 70's that was a high tech computer style font.

Today, it's just old and not particularly attractive.

How about we get today what the Mach 1 represented when it first came out? The spirit of the car executed in a modern way. Not just oldness slapped on.

That would be great.

Don't make this a throwback to oldness.

Make it something totally new that's so cool, 50 years from now THEY WANT TO THROW BAVK TO THIS.

OP
OP
Stam616

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
That's what I'm saying.

It falls short.

Part of what attracts the younger crowd to imports is the fact that it's fresh styling.

But take the Mustang ahead into the truly modern era and there is simply no reason to look elsewhere.

Take the spirit of the original shaker hood and rethink it. Reengineer it until you have something that mKes total sense from s functionality perspective. Then engineer that so it makes a "wow!" Statement from a visual perspective. Maybe instead of s small scoop section, the entire size of the hood can move. maybe combine significant heat extraction and ram air into the same hood. Or maybe something altogether different. Take the fog light housings and have a scoop surround the fog on each side with the screened air ducted to the filter. Or dual filters.

Then have a prominent section of the hood attached to the engine with heat extraction instead of air. That would be cool to see while driving and it would be more aerodynamic.

How about we get today what the Mach 1 represented when it first came out? The spirit of the car executed in a modern way. Not just oldness slapped on.

That would be great.

Make it something totally new that's so cool, 50 years from now THEY WANT TO THROW BAVK TO THIS.
while I generally agree resting on your laurels or just doing "whats ben done before" is easier, there is a market for it. Yes the people like myself who are getting older and who like some nostalgia in their Mustangs may be shrinking, its not just in there for us. Its the DNA that makes a Mustang a Mustang. Now while the Mach 1 is a pretty cool nameplate in itself, its still a Mustang, and while I'm all for new and different I don't think you want to stray too far away as you could end up with styling as polarizing as the Probe ( which was supposed to be the next Mustang). I think having a shaker hood doesn't detract from anything at all, I also have no issues with the tribar taillights, but as I said I would agree that Ford needs to move the car forward and keep it fresh so perhaps we could see some queues from the new GT, or maybe other coupes that are out there. IDK, I'm not a design guy, I just know what I like. I love this new Mustang, it hits all the buttons for me while being thoroughly modern and interesting. If there are designers in our little club out there, lets see what you can come up with. Oh and I do agree the actual logo for the Mach 1 needs to be updated and the font more modern. :ford::ford::ford:

azurebluemach

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1
That's what I'm saying.

It falls short.

That would be great.

Lol, idk man. I think you just need to go buy a different car. What you've compared it to is so far from homage or nostalgia is nothing new or reengineered.

The S550 has way more queues from the past than people mention. They only focus on the front bumper and how it looks like a fusion etc.

Having some sort of air dam or hood setup to take advantage of air being directed into the engine more cleanly is nothing new either. So with that, why not make a design that includes a shaker good setup that has a better ram-air effect? Just because it shakes and twists with the engine doesn't mean it has to be old or nostalgic.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Lol, idk man. I think you just need to go buy a different car. What you've compared it to is so far from homage or nostalgia is nothing new or reengineered.

The S550 has way more queues from the past than people mention. They only focus on the front bumper and how it looks like a fusion etc.

Having some sort of air dam or hood setup to take advantage of air being directed into the engine more cleanly is nothing new either. So with that, why not make a design that includes a shaker good setup that has a better ram-air effect? Just because it shakes and twists with the engine doesn't mean it has to be old or nostalgic.

Lol

Nice cop out.

I don't want a different car. I want a Mustsng. But I want ford to do more with it.

It's the greatest nameplate on the planet and I am tired of seeing it held back.

And as far as shaking and twisting making it old -I never said that. In fact a couple examples of modern execution I gave would do exactly that if you cared enough to pay attention to the facts.

It's great you like the old stuff. And that may be what you get.

But I and others I know want more.

The original mustang was a car created by vision. It was supposed to be what others in its time.

We need something like that again. Not that same car if you will.

But the DNA. THE ESSENCE. the SPIRIT of the car.

Certain aspects will always be there such as long hood/short deck, big power, primarily RWD, etc.

But what if there never was a mustang before? What if a modern day Iacocca was dreaming it now? That's what if like to see.

And of course there are some slight and subtle throwback cues that would be present but executed in a modern way.

The car would have s nicer interior and exterior to start.

It would also likely have a performance auto option.

Ford made all this noise about how the Mustsng was so special it gets its own platform this time. Yet the biggest change we got out of it was more weight and poor panel alignment.

I like the current s550. I don't really like it in pictures, but in person it really is a great looking car. It's interesting too because in my opinion the new Camaro looks better in pictures to me. But when I see them in person, the mustang looks exotic while the Camaro looks square and squished.

But the car could be so much better. Maybe it will. Maybe that's what 2018 is about. Idk. I know that the 50th Ann. Would require some nostalgia.

Back to the original point, I like the old shaker hood. But today, I'd like to see a modern execution of that wow factor. Not another samey scoop.

And... I hope it picks up some serious power. I wouldn't mind an FI Mach at all.

Especially considering the name "Mach 1" screams SPEED. About 767.269 mph worth of speed.

azurebluemach

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1
Lol

Nice cop out.

I don't want a different car. I want a Mustsng. But I want ford to do more with it.

It's the greatest nameplate on the planet and I am tired of seeing it held back.

And as far as shaking and twisting making it old -I never said that. In fact a couple examples of modern execution I gave would do exactly that if you cared enough to pay attention to the facts.

It's great you like the old stuff. And that may be what you get.

But I and others I know want more.

The original mustang was a car created by vision. It was supposed to be what others in its time.

We need something like that again. Not that same car if you will.

But the DNA. THE ESSENCE. the SPIRIT of the car.

Certain aspects will always be there such as long hood/short deck, big power, primarily RWD, etc.

But what if there never was a mustang before? What if a modern day Iacocca was dreaming it now? That's what if like to see.

And of course there are some slight and subtle throwback cues that would be present but executed in a modern way.

The car would have s nicer interior and exterior to start.

It would also likely have a performance auto option.

Ford made all this noise about how the Mustsng was so special it gets its own platform this time. Yet the biggest change we got out of it was more weight and poor panel alignment.

I like the current s550. I don't really like it in pictures, but in person it really is a great looking car. It's interesting too because in my opinion the new Camaro looks better in pictures to me. But when I see them in person, the mustang looks exotic while the Camaro looks square and squished.

But the car could be so much better. Maybe it will. Maybe that's what 2018 is about. Idk. I know that the 50th Ann. Would require some nostalgia.

Back to the original point, I like the old shaker hood. But today, I'd like to see a modern execution of that wow factor. Not another samey scoop.

And... I hope it picks up some serious power. I wouldn't mind an FI Mach at all.

Especially considering the name "Mach 1" screams SPEED. About 767.269 mph worth of speed.

You know, part of using a historic name means passing on some of its heritage to the new model. The shaker hood is one of the key features it had. If you take that away, then it's just another Mustang.

You can't redesign the Mustang for the Mach 1 model. We aren't talking about the next Mustang redesign. I think you're in the wrong thread for what your wanting. We want a Mach 1. It's just that simple.

You said it yourself. The Camaro looks better in pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Liberty
I disagree. It is possible to respect the past while wanting to look forward to the future and innovation.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I thought Mustang heritage was Fast Fun Affordable. Because as far as design elements, I think the S550 has a similar approach to body lines flowing through the whole car like the classics. More than any car before it. Washing it reminds me alot of my 68 fastback.

I think the S550 knows where it came from, what it is, and is doing it differently. The brand needs that. I think the key thing I see when I fellow S550 owner is more often than that they are a younger person which it critical.

This car is about propelling the Mustang legacy forward. When it comes to the Mach 1, I think it's been more of a performance package especially as of late, and I don't see the Shaker hood being a key to it. I personally don't see it going to well with the S550 lines, especially with the retro considerations to what a shaker hood is. I say that in spite of having a Mach.

I think it could be done, but I see it having to be much larger to look good. The last thing we need is more weight and complexity.

I can't see anyone one complaining if we got a 50 state legal version of the lessor Ford Racings's hybrid coyote/voodoo. And Maybe base GT350 shocks and springs.

The Mustang defines the segment, the next Mach can continue that and define what weight the Mach 1 nameplate carries with it.
IMG_20160208_204618_846.jpg

azurebluemach

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1
I agree about the S550, and really like it since its introduction. However, I don't believe the Mach 1 needs to take steps in advancement like you are stating. I think it just needs to be a respectful homage to the past, same as the S550 does. The S550 has already taken the necessary steps forward and Mach 1 fans want that too. IMO, if the Mach had the new 5.2L power plant, it would cost too much. What I would like to see personally is two engine options be presented. I'd like to see the 5.0L and a lesser powered 5.2L flat plane, both naturally aspirated. The 03-04 Mach's had off-the-shelf type parts and I think aside from the engine options, the same could be true with the new Mach. It doesn't have to, and shouldn't be a redesign.

My 04 handles great in stock form (for the times), but was mainly setup for the drag strip. Sort of a best of both worlds. I'd like to see the same for the new Mach; handles as good as the GT, but has some upgrades for traction and gearing for the drag strip. IMO that's heritage. A model that can use the advancements of the S550 and styling like a shaker hood, specific wheels that touch on the past, exterior decals and badging the support the Mach 1 name.

Otherwise, why even use the Mach 1 name?

Sponsored