Is there a S550 Mach 1 coming ?

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Good post. Might as well ruin the name, just like the country. They should use Mach 1 as a package on a Fiesta.
Let's not even get started with this "country" that's a topic for another time.:rant:
Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Because modern society and the government and CAFE and all those A-holes don't give a rats ass about heritage and tradition. They only care and reducing emissions and ruining a good name. As much as I hope it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if it did come with something that isn't a V8.

Most enthusiast care about big engines and tradition, the majority do not.
:(

And it won't stop until every car is running some quad-turbo 3-cylinder or V-twin or all cars are nothing more than boxes on wheels and driverless and all that other crap.

The end is nigh. Who knows how far into the future it'll be, but it's getting closer.
By ford making these small displacement turbo motors, it allows them to make large V8's for their flagship cars. The large displacement motors aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Every manufacturer needs their fleet to average a certain MPG set by the government (i think its 30mpg, someone correct me if I'm wrong.) By Ford making tons of smaller 4 cylinder's and hybrids across their entire model line it allows them to make V8's for a select few of their models (Mustang, F-150, Super Duty, etc) So making all of these smaller motors allows them to make V8's for their flagship models (Mustang GT)

I, for one welcome the smaller turbo 4 cylinders and V6's. Its new tech and the way of the future.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Supercharged V6. Like the Buick Grand National. I see it coming.....

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Since it is probably a 1/32 model, that means the engine producing 13.59 H.P.
WOW!
Let's BOOGIE!

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
By ford making these small displacement turbo motors, it allows them to make large V8's for their flagship cars. The large displacement motors aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Every manufacturer needs their fleet to average a certain MPG set by the government (i think its 30mpg, someone correct me if I'm wrong.) By Ford making tons of smaller 4 cylinder's and hybrids across their entire model line it allows them to make V8's for a select few of their models (Mustang, F-150, Super Duty, etc) So making all of these smaller motors allows them to make V8's for their flagship models (Mustang GT)

I, for one welcome the smaller turbo 4 cylinders and V6's. Its new tech and the way of the future.
I hope you are right man... I really do.

Sponsored

svtguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Vert
I would have liked to have seen the 4 cyl 2.3 T as the base engine.The 2.7 T V6 as the medium model engine. Keep the 5.0 V8 for the GT and put the 3.5 T in the new 2017-18 Mach1.This way Ford would have had a better HP spread like Chevy
Personally I still have a problem buying a 4 cylinder over a V6 engine (old school)

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I would save the superchargers for the Shelbys
Agreed....somewhat. I am NOT expecting or wishing for some 700+ Whipple equipped engine but rather a smaller supercharged blower producing in the neighborhood of 520 H.P. range. I don't believe Ford can get the Coyote engine to seriously produce an additional 100 H.P. and remain normally aspirated.
The competition demands that Ford release a much more powerful Mustang.

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I was just at a System 3 clinic that my dealer holds twice a month. I arrived early and was perously the many new Mustangs they inventoried. There was a high level of GT's and GT's with the performance package. Apparently, plenty of customers are demanding the performance version of the Mustang and the dealer is stocking the goods for them!
IMG_0989 (Medium).JPG

Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Well, classically, the Mach 1 was really nothing more than an appearance package, but I'm talking vintage Mach 1's '69-'71. There really was nothing that set them apart from the more pedestrian models other than some stripes, some molding, and different door panels.

However, if that toy/model is any indication, and Ford would consider bringing back the Grabber Colours (Blue/Orange/Green) and making them available ONLY on Mach 1's, I might be persuaded to trade in my incoming '16 GT!

Curious to see what they come up with. In my mind though, I see it being an interior/wheel upgrade akin to the California Specials or The 50th Anniversary Package. But if they offered it with special colours and wheels, that would get me thinking.

It would be neat to see how much more power they can wring out of the 5.0 Coyote.

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Well, classically, the Mach 1 was really nothing more than an appearance package, but I'm talking vintage Mach 1's '69-'71. There really was nothing that set them apart from the more pedestrian models other than some stripes, some molding, and different door panels.
Actually, your statement about the Mach 1 model could not be more wrong.

The Mach 1 was Ford's super performance package. (There was also the very limited production Boss 429 and Shelby variants but that is another story.) In the day, I owned a 69' Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet, R code red sports roof car. I had another one very recently and they are still blazingly fast.

The Mach 1 could not have been more different than what you call a 'pedestrian' model. It had the monster 428 SCJ engine, the H.D. C6 with iron tail shaft, traction-lok rear which had 31 spline axle shafts and a nodular case, special water and oil cooling, special shock tower reinforcements, h.d. suspension, special wider wheels and Polyglass tires and the iconic shaker hood. There was also the 351 (Cleveland) Mach 1 version. On top of the increased performance pieces, there were the cosmetic enhancements outside and inside including side air intake scoop, side stripes, the flat black hood w/ hood pins treatment and optional rear window blinds and spoiler. Image was very important back then as it is today.

Ford also produced the Shelby GT500 and GT350 which were functionally equivalent to the Mach 1's which the addition of Shelby styling modifications to set them visually apart from the Machs. Ford actually managed to get the government to allow them to sell their left over 1969 Shelbys as legitimate 1970 models.

The main performance muscle car period of the Mach 1 was 1969 and 1970. Due to insurance crack downs and regulations, the muscle car era abruptly ended with the 1971 model year. Muscle cars including the Mach 1 were emasculated in 1971 but soldiered on another 2 years before going extinct across the auto industry. The gas "crisis" signaled the death of 'performance' for almost the next 20 years. MPG became the new fascination of automobile buyers instead of performance.

So you can see that the Mach 1's were very different and very special enhanced models apart and above the "pedestrian" standard Mustang models. Today, they are valued,collected and enjoy huge monetary premiums because of their substantial performance difference over standard Mustangs.

Last edited:

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
So you can see that the Mach 1's were very different and very special enhanced models apart and above the "pedestrian" standard Mustang models. Today, they are valued,collected and enjoy huge monetary premiums because of their substantial performance difference over standard Mustangs.
Hate to break it to you, but there was absolutely nothing special about the Mach 1. Anything that could come on the Mach 1 could be ordered from the options sheet on most any Mustang.

The Mach 1 option just gave you a whole bunch of goodies in a package. Super Performance? That's laughable. You do realize you could get a 351/2-barrel/automatic in a Mach 1 right? The allmighty 2-barrel WINDSOR. Bow down to it's superiority. :D In '71, you could opt for a 302-2 barrel. The pinnacle of performance? Hardly. Heck, you could get a 3-speed Manual in a Mach 1 if you wanted to pinch pennies.

Sorry dude, it was an appearance package, plain and simple. Yes, some people optioned them up into pretty cool, fast cars. But stripes, a hood scoop, hood locks and some flat black paint do not a performance car make. (Volare Road Runner, anyone?) Don't get me wrong, they're cool cars and can be worth a chunk of change, but at it's basics, it's just an appearance package.

The Big Dog, the real absolute performance machine was the Boss '9, and I suppose to a lesser extent, the Boss 302. (Jury is still out on the Boss 351). The '9 and the 302 were essentially street-legal race cars that were outright performance machines. No Frills, No Fluff. No louvers or flat black paint.

You know, my standard joke for being in this sort of situation is that Bruce Dern once sat in my Gremlin, sneezed and then farted. The car must now be worth a fortune because it still reeks of old man fart and there's still one of his boogers on the dash board.

But in all reality, it's just a stinky old Rambler with a booger on the dash. :lol: And who the hell is Bruce Dern, anyway?

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
You can bring a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. Sorry I wasted my time but have a great day.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Actually, your statement about the Mach 1 model could not be more wrong.

The Mach 1 was Ford's super performance package. (There was also the very limited production Boss 429 and Shelby variants but that is another story.) In the day, I owned a 69' Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet, R code red sports roof car. I had another one very recently and they are still blazingly fast. ....

Ehh yes and no, it depends on the model and configuration of everything. Back then you could get a bigger engine put in on the same model unlike today where the GT will only have the 5.0 and the other models are assigned the other engine variants. It was performance and cosmetics, because like most cars if you up the performance you want badging to show it.

The Mach 1 essentially replaced the GT after 1969 (when they both were in production) with all those performance options being options on top of the model. It would be like if we could order our GTs with the 5.2L voodoo, you cant say its not a performance upgrade but ordering the bigger engine and some extra whistles doesn't really make it so the name means "super performance package." I mean there were options between 2 and 4 barrels on the same engine, there was just a lot more V8 variants and customizations back then, i mean look at all the colors they used to offer.

Im not saying the mach 1 was a slouch but if we could order our GTs with upgraded engines or performance parts from the factory of course they would be getting more or be more desirable on resale. Imagine if the performance pack gave us all it does now plus the gt350 manifold and a sweet badge somewhere, that would be more like what the mach 1 was. It sounds like you had a very nice and rarer mach 1 , I remember my dad telling me he tried to get a guy to sell him his Black 428 Cobra Jet for a long long time before setting on a '73 351 Cleveland that he got a good price on. the '73 also had some of the Mach 1 stripes "optioned" off.

With this said if they offered the Mach 1 by now that what i would of ordered if i could of afforded it. and personally i think they should of skipped the GT branding and just used Mach on our cars.
Sponsored