First time HPDE event

OP
OP

Docsteph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 tech
Unfortunately my schedule has little flexibility as I am in my residency training so this weekend doesn’t work, looking ahead maybe December or January.
I am rather excited about trying one of these and am very thankful for the tips everyone has provided, hearing perspectives from different folks is very helpful. This thread has been most helpful and very respectful responses!
Yes I worry about limp mode but I did do ForScan and can check temp and if I avoid 2nd gear, and since I am a novice I suspect I won’t push the limit, also I like the idea of riding with the coach as the driver to better understand the car and course, it’s all about safety and fun.
Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Unfortunately I parked with the pads were still hot and ended up with uneven deposits and will need to change the front rotors as well.

I think for a first timer you could go completely stock in this car and not have any issues. Just be sure to get the pads cooled off before parking so you don't have the issue I did, which leads to vibration during braking.
That's another great point. When you get back to the paddock after a session, DO NOT put the parking brake on, for the reason Trackaholic mentions above. Put the car in 2nd gear on level ground, and use wheel chocks if you're worried about the ground not being completely level.

+1 on the track day insurance, too. Regardless of how careful you are, remember that you won't be the only one on the track.

Oh, and always wave to the corner workers on the first yellow, warm up lap, and on your cool down lap after the checkered flag. Remember, no wave, no save! :)

OP
OP

Docsteph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 tech
The pointers just keep coming, all a wealth of great info, the brake issue super important! Thanks, will get some wheel chocks.
And keeping the track guys on your good side, Hm what a novel idea, would not have thought of that one,but always try to be polite to anyone helpful.
I bet these tips are helpful to others as well, not just this gal.
Keep them coming if there are other tips.
I know also to make sure oil level good and filter torqued.
And air filter not loose. I do have the Ford Performance blue one on now, also have K and N in a box.

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
I recommend the factory street alignment, comfortable clothes and shoes, fluids for drinking and an open mind for learning. Hopefully, a little rain will show up - nothing better than rain for learning smoothness!

One trick to help you concentrate on driving: Since you have power seats, move the seat back some, yank the seat belt so it locks, hold it locked while you move the seat back into position. This will help hold you in place. Try it out in the paddock first and clear it with your instructor. Best of luck and have fun!
good ideas

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
The pointers just keep coming, all a wealth of great info, the brake issue super important! Thanks, will get some wheel chocks.
And keeping the track guys on your good side, Hm what a novel idea, would not have thought of that one,but always try to be polite to anyone helpful.
I bet these tips are helpful to others as well, not just this gal.
Keep them coming if there are other tips.
I know also to make sure oil level good and filter torqued.
And air filter not loose. I do have the Ford Performance blue one on now, also have K and N in a box.

No need for wheel chocks: leave the car in gear after you shut it off.

Lots of good advice so far. Do you have a helmet yet? You may be able to borrow one, but I suggest finding on that fits you well--not too tight, not too loose--that has enough room to fit a communicator ear piece that an instructor is likely to have. I also suggest using a balaclava (head sock), which can help with a smooth helmet fit, in addition to sweat management.

Also, spend some time thinking about how you like to learn and communicate. Hopefully an instructor will ask you how you like to receive input while on track, but don't hesitate to make a request. I ask students if they like more or less verbal guidance and correction vs. hand signals vs. a blend, etc.

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Good idea on the helmet ear piece. Funny thing happened @ the Ford one day Track event. The instructor on the track was saying slow slow slow. I heard go go go. Neadess to say I had fun and he wasn’t. It showed up on the video they sent me weeks later. Still laughing @ that clip.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Don't use your parking break. When I stop after session I role the car a little so I don't warp my rotors.

OP
OP

Docsteph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 tech
Fitted for Shoei helmet last week it will be here tomorrow
Alpinestars touring open face balaclava ( yep this makes sense and hopefully helps the helmet slide on easily)
Chatterbox Tandem Pro 2 Intercom with headsets
The brake issue has been repeated multiple times so I guess this is a lesson learned by others that allows me to learn and minimize the potential damage the easy way

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
You've got most of the basics covered.

I'll also suggest bringing a notebook for details, thoughts, notes, etc. It can help to keep track of conditions, tire pressures and / or temps, etc. Effective driving is as much about the details, as it is about the feel of the car.

And, car numbers? Some groups will provide numbers, some groups don't require numbers. I still cheap out and use blue painters tape . . . If that's too cheap, vinyl or magnetic numbers are readily available.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Docsteph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 tech
Magnetic sign with numbers ordered

Best camera set up?

Go pro? If so where to mount ? Go pro mounts or something better?

Or is dash cam better if so which one

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Generally, you can use the camera of your choice; strong suction cup mounts are available for the Go Pro, Smarty Cam, AIM Solo, and so on. But, if you're planning to use a smartphone track data app, such as Harry's Lap Timer, you might consider using a camera that is compatible with the app so you can overlay data on your video, which in my opinion, is one of the best values of video (along with analyzing your line). You'll then need a mount for the phone. Also, with the right track app and mount, the phone's camera can capture the video. Again, look to Harry's as an example.

Destro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
One thing I forgot to take last time was paper towels and windex. It's nice to have clean windows on track.

A good pair of driving gloves can be good to have too. The kind that don't slip on the alcantara steering wheel.

Clean everything out of your car before going on track. That includes water bottles or anything under the seats like papers and receipts. Shit that can fly up in front of your face while driving (you have to have your windows rolled down while on track)

What ever you do, make us proud by not putting blue painters tape all over the front of your car. :lol:

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
best place to mount camera is where you can see the track and your steering inputs so you can review it later. Mounted to the headrests in the center of the car is a popular spot
Sponsored