Sponsored

Sub enclosure in spare wheel well

949Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Orange GT350
Like many of you, I was surprised at how abysmal the 9 speaker OEM audio system is in the GT350. Mine is a '17 with Electronics Package. No subwoofer and tinny rent a car speakers. Oddly, the system utilizes 3 way amps and component speakers. They're just junk speakers. So I had Audio Lab in Laguna Hills, CA swap them all out with Focal component speakers and add a 12" subwoofer enclosure in the spare wheel well with it's own amp.

It's not designed to be sexy show car stuff or high end audiophile. Just functional and a big improvement over the worthless OEM speakers without adding weigh on track. We'll end up spending around $2600 on the upgrade. :crazy:The Focal component speakers are a bit of a splurge. One could make vast improvements with much less expensive speakers and DIY a particle board box for the wheel well for a fraction of what we spent. We stuck with stock amps to keep costs down. The Focals are so much more efficient that we shouldn't have to push the amps as hard for db we want.

In the interest of saving weight, we wanted to be able to quickly unplug and remove the sub enclosure for track days and autocross. We asked for quick release connector for the enclosure. It's a custom made FRP box. A spot for the OEM tire kit was integrated into the enclosure. All fits under the carpet

It's not quite finished in this pic. I'll post a few more pics and more detailed specs when I pick the car up this afternoon.
IMG9517141.jpg
Sponsored

Doskiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
+1 ............. super interested for more pics. Thinking of Focals for myself also ........ ;-)

OP
OP
949Racing

949Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Orange GT350
Parts list:

Focal PS165FX component speakers with crossover, doors/A pillar
Focal 165AC, rear shelf
Fosgate R500X1D, amp for subwoofer
JL Audio 10TW3 10" subwoofer

Fiberglass subwoofer enclosure is about 30lbs. Weight I don't want slinging around on track. Bottom pic is the quick disconnects

Oh yeah, sounds great. Vast improvement over OEM.
GT350_Removeable_Subwoofer_2.jpg
GT350_Removeable_Subwoofer_3.jpg
GT350_Removeable_Subwoofer_4.jpg

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Man that is very nice!

Sponsored

HotLap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
949, that is a nice set up and something I'd be interested in. To clarify, you just replaced the existing 9 speakers and added the sub and amp...leaving the rest of the OEM set up stock? I had already planned on upgrading the the 9 speakers and would be interested in the sub/amp with enclosure and installation instructions.

Thoughts?

Oh, I'm still waiting for my 2017 GT 350 w/ Electronics package to arrive, still a couple of weeks out....

OP
OP
949Racing

949Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Orange GT350
949, that is a nice set up and something I'd be interested in. To clarify, you just replaced the existing 9 speakers and added the sub and amp...leaving the rest of the OEM set up stock? I had already planned on upgrading the the 9 speakers and would be interested in the sub/amp with enclosure and installation instructions.

Thoughts?

Oh, I'm still waiting for my 2017 GT 350 w/ Electronics package to arrive, still a couple of weeks out....
Yes. Had a chance to drive my Ram 3500 with premium Alpine system and OEM sub and the GT350 back to back with the same source (my phone). Imaging better in the Ram, largely due to the better sound stage from the larger interior. Definition better with the Focals in the GT350, I can hear little things better like fingers leaving strings, the rattle of the spring on a snare etc.. Base is better balanced in the Ram, never boomy. The bass in the GT350 is great but needs tweaking for each album depending on how old it is, how it was mastered, etc. The GT350 sub has it's own crossover and tuning features on the amp but it simply isn't OEM integrated with the front amps like the Ram is.

I should say though, that the OEM Alpine system in my Ram is amazing. Two friends who are audiophile geeks were both impressed by it, better sounding than the custom built systems in their cars. So the bar is pretty high for the half custom systems in out GT350.

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Are you planning to put the trunk floor back in place, or are you making a custom cover panel with a hole/grille for the subwoofer?

I imagine the original trunk floor would rattle quite a bit. :headbonk:

OP
OP
949Racing

949Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Orange GT350
Are you planning to put the trunk floor back in place, or are you making a custom cover panel with a hole/grille for the subwoofer?

I imagine the original trunk floor would rattle quite a bit. :headbonk:
OEM cover. No rattling

SteedaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange Ecoboost
I'm in love with this! What was your final cuft numbers inside the box? MDF on the sides and top, fiberglass on the bottom?

Sponsored
OP
OP
949Racing

949Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Orange GT350
I'm in love with this! What was your final cuft numbers inside the box? MDF on the sides and top, fiberglass on the bottom?
I didn't build the box so I don't know the volume. I thought he was going to do a 12" and fill the whole well. In the end, the 10 is plenty. It's all FRP. Pretty thick and heavy.

HotLap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Yes. Had a chance to drive my Ram 3500 with premium Alpine system and OEM sub and the GT350 back to back with the same source (my phone). Imaging better in the Ram, largely due to the better sound stage from the larger interior. Definition better with the Focals in the GT350, I can hear little things better like fingers leaving strings, the rattle of the spring on a snare etc.. Base is better balanced in the Ram, never boomy. The bass in the GT350 is great but needs tweaking for each album depending on how old it is, how it was mastered, etc. The GT350 sub has it's own crossover and tuning features on the amp but it simply isn't OEM integrated with the front amps like the Ram is.

I should say though, that the OEM Alpine system in my Ram is amazing. Two friends who are audiophile geeks were both impressed by it, better sounding than the custom built systems in their cars. So the bar is pretty high for the half custom systems in out GT350.
949 sorry to keep bugging you. I've been eyeing the Kicker 9 speaker replacements for the OEM 9 speaker system in the GT350. I like to install my own speakers as I Dynamat the doors, etc. while I have all the panels off. Question, your thoughts on how the Kickers would sound with the trunk sub you installed and would your install shop consider just selling/installing the sub for me? Appreciate your feedback...by the way the 9 speaker system is awful, not sure why Ford even bothered, pure garbage and gives me a headache listening to such awful sound...

OP
OP
949Racing

949Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Orange GT350
You can contact them to find out. Audio Lab in Laguna Hills, CA. Sam is the contact.

No idea how that combination would sound. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to audio equipment so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

HotLap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
949, thanks appreciate the contact info. I'll reach out to them!!
Sponsored