Sponsored

Anyone running a true square (width+offset) setup?

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I recognize that there are a lot of wheel threads, but I want to drill down to some discussion about running wheels with the same width and offest. Or, not . . .

This is a track use focused issue, and the primary (if not the only) value of the same offset is to be able to rotate each wheel front to back for tire longevity. What I'm trying to decide is if its worth it, and asking for people's experience with that kind of setup.

The equal setup will require converting to wheel studs (probably 3 inches), which I was planning to do anyway, and will require a significant hubcentric spacer for the front. Using a spacer is not an issue for me since I have always used spacers on my track and race cars, and when done with the proper supporting equipment (hubcentric, good wheel studs) is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. The only "if" with regard to the GT350 is that I'm looking at probably having to use a 25mm spacer, which is 5mm wider than the largest spacer I have experience with.

Here are the preliminary wheel / tire details:

19x11 rims, with a 55 offset
305/30 tires

Will these dimensions allow me to comfortably and effectively run the same setup front to back with a 25mm spacer up front? Do I have the offset wrong? Am I missing something critical? Is this worth the effort (track guys?)?

This is not a must-do scenario, but I'm used to running a fully square setup and would like to be able to replicate the convenience, safely and effectively on the GT 350.

Also, and this is somewhat separate, but still important, I'm admittedly doing some price-point shopping on the wheels. This is not going to be a debate about forged vs. cast+flow forming, or you spent $$$ on the car, how can you possibly spend $ on the wheels. Those types of opinions and facts are valid enough, but are not relevant to what I'm specifically looking for here.

At the moment, Forgestar seems to be in the lead for an under $2K custom offset package with a reasonable expectation of strength and performance. There seems to be a very large gap between this type of wheel and a true forged wheel. Am I missing a good option in the middle? Is there another flow-formed option I should be looking at? And, any track use reviews of the Forgestar wheel will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If it's for the track, then rotating tire really doesn't matter as thread depth doesn't really affect dry traction. Just throw on new tires when they get worn.
The reason to rotate tire is to keep thread depth even to provide even wet/snow traction.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
^ Above is incorrect, I'm sorry to say.

Numerous road courses are going to eat up tires on one side or corner of your car faster than the other, especially if your camber isn't on point. Road Atlanta will have a field day with your front left. Atlanta Motorsports Park will gobble up that front right and probably rear right. TGPR, a cheap track to get onto, will help you finish off a set of front tires faster than many other tracks just because of all the hard braking on the extremely grainy road surface.

Point being, you rotate tires in a square setup to not wear one or two out entirely while the other two have a few more runs in them... fact.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Regarding the wheels, Paul handles the VS series forged wheels. I ordered VS08's and the price is in the $2k's. Mine are standard GT350 widths but with a larger offset front and rear.

Weight should be 22-24lbs. He has some coming in so we'll find out soon.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Thanks. That's a great price for a fully forged wheel; I'll put some questions to Paul.

Was there a reason you didn't opt for a full square setup?

Regarding the wheels, Paul handles the VS series forged wheels. I ordered VS08's and the price is in the $2k's. Mine are standard GT350 widths but with a larger offset front and rear.

Weight should be 22-24lbs. He has some coming in so we'll find out soon.

Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
What are the square dimensions for Toyo R888 that will fit stock GT350 wheels? This was answered elsewhere but can't find it. Want 305's all around...

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Sorry, but tire rotation IS a fact of life for those who want to max the usable life out of their track tires. Tread depth is only one factor here, and as was mentioned in direct response to your post, tires do not wear evenly on a given road course.

If it's for the track, then rotating tire really doesn't matter as thread depth doesn't really affect dry traction. Just throw on new tires when they get worn.
The reason to rotate tire is to keep thread depth even to provide even wet/snow traction.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I don't know that directly, but you should be able to find the answer on a site like Tire Rack, if they stock that tire (haven't checked).

In this case, I'm looking a the PS2 in 305/30.

What are the square dimensions for Toyo R888 that will fit stock GT350 wheels? This was answered elsewhere but can't find it. Want 305's all around...

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The Ford racing GT350R hubs you can buy For a reasonable price have extended studs that I think will enable this setup.

Ben

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I recognize that there are a lot of wheel threads, but I want to drill down to some discussion about running wheels with the same width and offest. Or, not . . .

This is a track use focused issue, and the primary (if not the only) value of the same offset is to be able to rotate each wheel front to back for tire longevity. What I'm trying to decide is if its worth it, and asking for people's experience with that kind of setup.

The equal setup will require converting to wheel studs (probably 3 inches), which I was planning to do anyway, and will require a significant hubcentric spacer for the front. Using a spacer is not an issue for me since I have always used spacers on my track and race cars, and when done with the proper supporting equipment (hubcentric, good wheel studs) is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. The only "if" with regard to the GT350 is that I'm looking at probably having to use a 25mm spacer, which is 5mm wider than the largest spacer I have experience with.

305/30 tires

Will these dimensions allow me to comfortably and effectively run the same setup front to back with a 25mm spacer up front? Do I have the offset wrong? Am I missing something critical? Is this worth the effort (track guys?)?

This is not a must-do scenario, but I'm used to running a fully square setup and would like to be able to replicate the convenience, safely and effectively on the GT 350.

Also, and this is somewhat separate, but still important, I'm admittedly doing some price-point shopping on the wheels. This is not going to be a debate about forged vs. cast+flow forming, or you spent $$$ on the car, how can you possibly spend $ on the wheels. Those types of opinions and facts are valid enough, but are not relevant to what I'm specifically looking for here.

At the moment, Forgestar seems to be in the lead for an under $2K custom offset package with a reasonable expectation. There seems to be a very large gap between this type of wheel and a true forged wheel. Am I missing a good option in the middle? Is there another flow-formed option I should be looking at? And, any track use reviews of the Forgestar wheel will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
There was another "track tire" thread where some people were suggesting exactly this setup. I too am interested in doing this as well.

I imagine one of the wheel guys on here can confirm your offset questions. I'm interested in spacer options/solutions as well.

As far as affordable wheels go, that's a tough one. Those signature wheels look nice and are relatively affordable ($1000 per corner).
https://www.signaturewheel.com/

In the long run I believe it'll be worth the investment assuming you regularly track the car.:cheers:

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
These tires are offered in 305/30/19 and 295/30/19. It's on their website:cheers:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

305/30 tires

At the moment, Forgestar seems to be in the lead for an under $2K custom offset package with a reasonable expectation. There seems to be a very large gap between this type of wheel and a true forged wheel. Am I missing a good option in the middle? Is there another flow-formed option I should be looking at? And, any track use reviews of the Forgestar wheel will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Wont 25mm spaces have there own studs? I think you might have to cut down the stock studs?? Im curious if a large enough spacer will allow you to use the stock stud lengths.

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyH4eGb0D0iOz0PAejtfvYBBiaM3NMuMckeB-MWDmX91jeFK53yaWhTm7aDyNIBEkT3K8gDHc&usqp=CAE.jpg

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
There was another "track tire" thread where some people were suggesting exactly this setup. I too am interested in doing this as well.

I imagine one of the wheel guys on here can confirm your offset questions. I'm interested in spacer options/solutions as well.

As far as affordable wheels go, that's a tough one. Those signature wheels look nice and are relatively affordable ($1000 per corner).
https://www.signaturewheel.com/

In the long run I believe it'll be worth the investment assuming you regularly track the car.:cheers:
When did a 1000 per wheel become relatively affordable. :D:D

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Okay, I'm confused, are the STOCK NON R rear wheels 19x11 55+ offset or 62+ offset?

I called Forgestar and they said they've done a few GT350's with their CF10's because they go to 62+. They said that the F14's won't work because they only go up to a 55+.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
The "typical" forged wheel formed for track-dedicated use runs around $1250 - $1500 on the lower side of cost. That's a wheel forged from billet, designed to keep a tire and air pressure intact after some degree of impact (bend, not break), machined to high tolerances and low weight without sacrificing strength, knurled bead for keeping a tire seated, etc. A wheel with some of these attributes at $1000 is therefore considered "affordable".

It can be a tough pill to swallow when there are plenty of strong wheels out there from $250 - $450 per wheel. But, they're not as "good" as a well designed, fully forged wheel.
Sponsored