5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Apologies for the length...trying to be thorough...

Ed at TKO Performance had reached out to us in a thread started by a member here asking if people felt if a sound deading mat in the trunk area would help to eliminate some unwanted road noise.
Now some would say that the S550 is pretty darn quiet inside. I'll grant that the bone stock base model that I have was definitely less noisy inside than my '14 track pack in stock format. But, as many of you know and realize, after we tighten up the loose washtub out back, lower it a touch, put after market, wider wheels with lower profile tires, and after market exhaust, we now have aquired more noise which can become annoying...a TON more road noise comes in.
Some time passed after Ed asked in the thread and low and behold, one day I got a PM from him. He introduced himself and what he was about. He politely asked me if I'd be willing to test a prototype mat for the S550, no strings attached other than providing him with feedback. He sent me a mat in a long box, rolled up. The write-up said to lay it out in the sun or in a warm trunk. I put it in very late Saturday and knew I wouldn't drive the car until late Sunday afternoon. That day came and I drove it a short distance to the grocery store later that Sunday afternoon. When I put my grocery's in the trunk, the wrinkles were all gone like the write-up said would happen. Now the roads to and from the grocery store are pretty good. I did notice less road noise, but that wasn't the real test. An added benefit to the mat is that my grocery's didn't slide all over the trunk on the drive home like they used to! So today, on the way in to work, the roads on the route in aren't as well maintained and are of varying surfaces of concrete and asphalt that have varying roughness and smoothness. I noticed a significant decrease in road noise than I always get when driving to work. Did it completely get rid of it, no, but it reduced the in-cabin road noise by an amount that was quite noticable to my ears...the mat made a big difference for sure. I did not notice a chnage in my exhaust note (with what I have, there isn't a lot of shrill sounds coming from it).

I then spoke to Ed on the phone today and gave him my feedback. He told me of how he started in his business, the materials they use, and the construction of it. ALL the materials are sourced in the United States as well as the manufacturing and construction of it. There is ZERO glue holding the diferent layers of foam together; they are put through a bonding process instead...that means no odors in cabin from the mat. He also said in their research designing these for the Corvette and Camaro that it was high and mid frequencies that were the main culprit in road noise and exhaust shrill. We also discussed price point and what he wants to sell them at which I think will be very, very reasonable. He said he would join soon and he can then go more in detail of everything. All in all, a very good experience and Ed is a very nice person to deal with.
Here are some pics...first one is direct out of the box into the trunk. In the other pics, you will notice the right side of the trunk has a piece attached via those triangle wedges...I do not have a factory sub so I would put the extra piece there. If you do have the sub, you eliminate that extra piece and trim the triangle wedges.
dq65uh.jpg

v3j9ed.jpg

zsk0a9.jpg

bf2xj6.jpg

2nuoz8o.jpg

1z3pjx0.jpg
Sponsored

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Does this go over the stock liner or does it replace it? And does it get rid of some of the nvh from the bushing upgrades?

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I am interested. Any idea about retail price?

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Does this go over the stock liner or does it replace it? And does it get rid of some of the nvh from the bushing upgrades?
It goes on top of the stock liner...not sure exactly which bushings you speak as there are a few, however, I did not hear the "upgrades" I have done being as harsh, can still hear them, but to me, not as bad. The mat, according to Ed, is primarily for road noise and shrill exhaust...things that are in the mid to high frequencies are definitely diminished from before the mat install.
I am interested. Any idea about retail price?
He told me somewhere between $149 and $169. After hearing the materials and manufacturing, I thought this price point was lower than I had thought it would be.

Last edited:

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
I was talking about the bmr diff and subframe lockouts.
Granted I know the lockouts don't make too much noise as it is.
I was just wondering if it dampened it at all.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That looks like a nice piece, although a bit expensive compared to the alternative(s) available. Not bashing on it, but I don't see myself spending that kind of money on sound deadening.

IMO, I would invest 1/3rd of the price in some basic MLV/foam and line the entire underside of the trunk carpet with it then place the OEM bottom back on. It will be 100% stock looking and be just as effective and easy to do. Once you take the spare tire cover off, you can easily lift up the carpet edges and cover all that area.
Untitled.png

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Yup, you could do that, which would take a LOT longer to do than just laying a mat in the trunk...time is precious to me. But, if I did have more time, that MIGHT be a way to go for me, but no need now. From what I was told, it's not just any foam, it's layering of different types? Hopefully Ed will join soon.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That's true, it would probably take an hour or two with cutting and measuring compared to 30 seconds :).

You only need to layer the right type of sound deadening for the job and for the noise. You need weight (like Dynamat) where there are resonances and vibrations and you need MLV (like Raamaudio mat) where there is noise to be blocked.

Ideally you would put one layer of each for the ultimate solution to noise dampening, but unless you got a ridiculous exhaust back there that drones like crazy you don't need both in the trunk area.

This type of double layering is usually for those who have mufflers right underneath the cabin, like on the New Edges where the mufflers were before the axle and sitting right under the passenger seats. You would need both anti vibration and sound blocking. But for diff and bushing noises, your only really need the sound blocking of MLV as dynamat won't do much for noise.

Yup, you could do that, which would take a LOT longer to do than just laying a mat in the trunk...time is precious to me. But, if I did have more time, that MIGHT be a way to go for me, but no need now. From what I was told, it's not just any foam, it's layering of different types? Hopefully Ed will join soon.

TKO Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tkoperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Corvette
Hey guys, Thanks for the all the feedback. Special big thanks to members Gnfanatic and 5.0_SD :thumbsup:

The whole idea behind the "Quick & Quiet" mat is just that, it takes about a minute to install.

Its not just foam...
The mat is comprised of 2 different layers of foam, barrier and urethane.
Its designed to help absorb and suppress unwanted sounds.

Whats great about it, is you're not adding or gluing down permanent weight. The 4 layers has some substance to it BUT if you're hitting a track event simply remove it. Re install for the trip home.

All 4 layers are not glued. A unique infusion method bonds the layers which prevents separation. Made in the USA, all raw materials, from the USA.

I'm inquiring about becoming a supporting forum vendor as we speak so we can really engage in answering questions...etc
So if we get quiet, its only because we are respecting the forums rules and regs.

But we will talk soon! Thanks again guys. We really appreciate all your help & feedback :cheers:

Ed

Sponsored

shobbs007

Forensicator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Race Red/PP; 2009 Tundra RW
Sub'd and definitely interested in this product

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
If anyone in the Central Florida region would like to see it, let me know. I'd even be down to drive to Tampa if a Lightning game was happening...hint hint, lol...one of the reasons I got a Lightning Blue stang! The irony of it got me, lol...back on topic.

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Definitely interested =)
Any time frame of when it will be on y'all's site?

TKO Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tkoperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Corvette
If anyone in the Central Florida region would like to see it, let me know. I'd even be down to drive to Tampa if a Lightning game was happening...hint hint, lol...one of the reasons I got a Lightning Blue stang! The irony of it got me, lol...back on topic.
Very cool! :thumbsup:

Definitely interested =)
Any time frame of when it will be on y'all's site?
In about 3 days. But I'd like to see if we can join here and get a special going.
You guys have been great. The mods have also been great. We would like to be able to give back. :cheers:

Ed