Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I've thought the same thing, at least regarding the New-Edge - S550 connection.

The funny thing about how styles age is that our view of them changes with time. I remember that when the SN95 replaced the Fox body, I thought it was amazing. So much newer than the old car (probably bolstered by how long in the tooth the Fox cars were). And when it got facelifted in '99, I thought the changes just killed it. They took the organic, flowing form and forced the lines and edges on it. Blah. Fast foward 18 years, I own two New Edge cars, and (as I said above) can imagine a lineage connection from them to the current car. To me, now, the original SN95 looks soft and melty, old. Somehow or another, what looked great to me at the time has transposed with what absolutely did not like when new. I think the facelifted SN95 has stood up over time better than the original version. My current driver:

34564854545_295eb3657d_b.jpg
I agree…to a degree. I still have a softspot for lowered SN95 mustangs with 18 inch Saleen wheels and a duck bill spoiler.
Sponsored

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
This sort of depends on what your definition of "forever" is. For a mass produced car like the Mustang you will be able to get parts for a very, very long time. And who knows, in 40 years you can just have your garage parts assembler fabricate you new ones on demand.
In 40 years it will be illegal for humans to operate a vehicle. And the word forever has many definitions all meaning the same thing so is until the day I die better?

The end all to autonomous driving via technology is the end of all humans physically driving. I love driving but if I could 100% exchange all the time spent driving every year for something else and be safe while doing it (sleep, work, etc). I would be willing to give up my unprotected right to driving.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
In 40 years it will be illegal for humans to operate a vehicle. And the word forever has many definitions all meaning the same thing so is until the day I die better?

The end all to autonomous driving via technology is the end of all humans physically driving. I love driving but if I could 100% exchange all the time spent driving every year for something else and be safe while doing it (sleep, work, etc). I would be willing to give up my unprotected right to driving.
True story. Much of the traffic will also disappear. I only hope that if I am still alive, they allow driving on tracks for a reasonable price.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The funny thing about how styles age is that our view of them changes with time. I remember that when the SN95 replaced the Fox body, I thought it was amazing. So much newer than the old car (probably bolstered by how long in the tooth the Fox cars were). And when it got facelifted in '99, I thought the changes just killed it. They took the organic, flowing form and forced the lines and edges on it. G]
It's funny how different people see things. I think part of it could be generational, but also what age you were when exposed to different designs. I remember when I was a teen seeing a Boss 429 and a Boss 302 (at different times) and being totally in awe of those cars. It wasn't at a car show. At the time they were just normal cars being used for transportation. The Boss 429 wasn't even in good condition, but I still lusted after it.

As a teen I remember when the Fox Mustangs first came out and Ford's commercial for the '79 model got me really excited about them (I was 11 at that time).

I still think the Fox Mustangs are beautiful, but every Mustang between the Foxes and the 2010 redesign is edit: not so good looking in my opinion.

Sponsored

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
There is no modern car that I would keep forever simply from the cost of maintaining it especially after parts stop being produced. Classic car parts are super easy to make and cost/supply will always be there. Modern electronics become obsolete too damn quick for any company to want to continue producing them for any extended period of time. 30 years from now the ECU/BCM and things like the SRS modules will be expensive paper weights.
I would agree with you about every other car, but not the mustang

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/ford/megasquirt-your-mustang-5-0/

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.

Said by the Lemmings willing to give up all their rights to the master minds running the government and massive corporations like google, who want to tell you what you can and can't do. No Thanks!

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Said by the Lemmings willing to give up all their rights to the master minds running the government and massive corporations like google, who want to tell you what you can and can't do. No Thanks!
I completely agree. I'm not going to be on the same level as the lowest denominator. Liberty or death.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Indeed.

Consult Rush's great old tune, "Red Barchetta", to get an idea of what I'll be doing when The Man rules all. :D

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
There is no modern car that I would keep forever simply from the cost of maintaining it especially after parts stop being produced. Classic car parts are super easy to make and cost/supply will always be there. Modern electronics become obsolete too damn quick for any company to want to continue producing them for any extended period of time. 30 years from now the ECU/BCM and things like the SRS modules will be expensive paper weights.
I dunno, I could be wrong but I figure it'll be kind of the same as rare classics that have low interest and value and therefore don't have remanufactured replacement parts. With those cars, you rely on New Old Stock for as long as possible. As for the computer stuff, I disagree, with how fast technology advances, in the future I think things like ECUs will probably be as easy as wiring in something the size of an SD card to replace. Look at how much a Raspberry Pi can do for example.

Like others have said, this is the Mustang we're talking about, I think the support will be there for a long time. Regarding the autonomous crap, maybe I don't sit in enough city traffic to hate driving, but I'll still be driving till they make it illegal. And once they do, I'll keep driving on track till I die. I'm only excited about autonomous driving for those glued to their smartphones while driving.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
One of the most aggressive shots of the 2018 I've seen so far. Looking really sweet in this shot to me. Photo by Dan Jones on Twitter.
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 5.11.54 PM.jpg

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
One of the most aggressive shots of the 2018 I've seen so far. Looking really sweet in this shot to me. Photo by Dan Jones on Twitter.
Great looking shot! And like its been said by many about non enthusiasts. The masses of common people either think its just a 15-17 or could care less that the 2018 is sitting within reach of them.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Here's another one from his twitter account. Really don't get why the EU model was shown in NYC!?
DEuX7G0XUAAzffD.jpg large.jpg

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I agree it looks good from those perspectives with those wheels.

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
Here's another one from his twitter account. Really don't get why the EU model was shown in NYC!?
hmmm maybe its obscured but I don't see the new huge PP rear deck spoiler?? or could there really be a "spoiler delete" option for the 18' ?? :shrug:

hmmmm I wonder
Sponsored

Last edited: