Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
Da fuk?

You do realize that the current S550 has the fastback profile...and is indeed called the "fastback" don't you?
The new one is called a fast back, but it’s nothing but a name. Its more or less just a standard coupe profile. Attach below is a more accurate fastback profile. Similar to the profile of the new AMG GT.
969C9903-AA33-4400-B9EC-5B9BD4772F77.jpeg
57C7D05A-0228-4A51-A3DB-888263FC1832.jpeg
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The new one is called a fast back, but it’s nothing but a name. Its more or less just a standard coupe profile. Attach below is a more accurate fastback profile. Similar to the profile of the new AMG GT.
I think you need to have your eyes checked. The current GT is as fastback as it gets. You need only look at the previous generation models (or any other coupe) to see the difference.

bc1d8b5ed62019530a32750a7980bc22--ford-mustang-models--ford-mustang.jpg

d12a234b15b90e8b7e1ac91907a351cf.jpg

2015-Ford-Mustang-GT-side-profile.jpg

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
I think you need to have your eyes checked. The current GT is as fastback as it gets. You need only look at the previous generation models (or any other coupe) to see the difference.
The AMG GT’s profile is closer to the original mustang fastback than the new Mustang is to the original. The 2015 is a fastback shape, but not to the extent the originals were or the AMG GT.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The AMG GT’s profile is closer to the original mustang fastback than the new Mustang is to the original. The 2015 is a fastback shape, but not to the extent the originals were or the AMG GT.
Man, it's not even close how far off that AMG GT is compared to any fastback mustang ever made. It's a totally different design...more in-line with a dodge viper than anything else. If you want to say both of below are more of a fastback than the fabled "fastback" mustang...so bet it. Let's not pretend they look anything like a mustang though.

2015-Dodge-Viper-SRT-GTS-side-profile.jpg

attachment.jpg

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
Man, it's not even close how far off that AMG GT is compared to any fastback mustang ever made. It's a totally different design...more in-line with a dodge viper than anything else. If you want to say both of below are more of a fastback than the fabled "fastback" mustang...so bet it. Let's not pretend they look anything like a mustang though.
Put the amg GT next to the original fast back. The overall profile is far more similar to the original fast back than the new Mustang is to its original fast back.

Basically what I’m wishing for is for the next Mustang to follow the same profile as the AMG GT. One of the renderings posted earlier seem to indicate that, which is good. That’s all there is to it.

attachment.jpg

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Put the amg GT next to the original fast back. The overall profile is far more similar to the original fast back than the new Mustang is to its original fast back.

Basically what I’m wishing for is for the next Mustang to follow the same profile as the AMG GT. One of the renderings posted earlier seem to indicate that, which is good. That’s all there is to it.

attachment.jpg
Man, we will continue to disagree on this. I have no idea how you are seeing this. Everyone (including Ford) thinks the S550 has the same fastback design cues as the original. It's one of the major things that drew me towards the design. Moving the cabin rearwards does not make it look any more like the original, it just gives it the AMG and Viper cab rearward design cues.

And the new S550 will not even have close to the same profile as the AMG or Viper, as they are both 2 seat sports coupe....and the mustang will always be a 2+2.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Man, we will continue to disagree on this. .
The reason I migrated over to Ford for the first time ever is because of the S550's "fastback" styling, and how much it reminded me of the classic Mustangs (particularly the 69 fastback.) I don't see the AMG's profile being similar either. Unless the argument is that the AMG's little "trunk" is similar to a 65 fastback's trunk, whereas the S550's trunk is more fully blended into roofline? :shrug:

Either way, the S550 is incredible and is the perfect visual mix between modern styling with traditional Mustang design language, at least in my opinion.

The S650 will be interesting to see, and whether or not it goes forward or backward.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Okay -- I have some questions about this argument:
By "original fastback" do the "this is not a fastback" people mean the '65-'66?
According to those people, is the '68 actually the only "true fastback"?
Is the word "fastback" only defined by the unbroken line all the way to the rear of the trunk/boot?
Could someone post some pictures of some "notchbacks" (I've heard them also called coupes - my understanding is that unless they're a convertible, all are nominally coupes anyway)
In light of the fact that some are claiming "true fastbacks" still wind up with a broken, but descending line to the back of the car, would anyone dare to quantify the definition with angle values, etc.?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
You need to get a new monitor, or glasses.

You do know, that these things can be measured, right..? Nothing you say is correct, heck even the silhouette poster of the Mustang model years, illustrates you need glasses.

Fast backs typical have no CURVE... & have a consistent downward slope. Unlike the AMG you posted, which is not a fast back..

The S550 is a quintessential Fastback.

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Okay -- I have some questions about this argument:
By "original fastback" do the "this is not a fastback" people mean the '65-'66?
According to those people, is the '68 actually the only "true fastback"?
Is the word "fastback" only defined by the unbroken line all the way to the rear of the trunk/boot?
Could someone post some pictures of some "notchbacks" (I've heard them also called coupes - my understanding is that unless they're a convertible, all are nominally coupes anyway)
In light of the fact that some are claiming "true fastbacks" still wind up with a broken, but descending line to the back of the car, would anyone dare to quantify the definition with angle values, etc.?
For me "fastback" means any car where the back windshield and C pillars slant diagonally down close to - or all the way to - the rear fascia. This would include all of the Mustangs that are listed as such by Ford.

I don't have a beef with the person above saying the Mercedes looks more like a 60's fastback than the S550 does, though I disagree. All three cars follow the long hood, short deck design, but the roundness of the AMG and the "trunk" don't seem to visually match to me. But to each his own.

:cheers:

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
For me "fastback" means any car where the back windshield and C pillars slant diagonally down close to - or all the way to - the rear fascia. This would include all of the Mustangs that are listed as such by Ford.

I don't have a beef with the person above saying the Mercedes looks more like a 60's fastback than the S550 does, though I disagree. All three cars follow the long hood, short deck design, but the roundness of the AMG and the "trunk" don't seem to visually match to me. But to each his own.

:cheers:
I tend to agree with you. :cheers:

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
Aston Martin just came up with this look and it reminds me of the prototype rendering. I LIKE!
aston martin.jpg

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully Ford doesn't copy it too bad, I don't think they have that Aston designer anymore to use as the excuse for bringing it across the lineup this time. Looks nice though!

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Status
Not open for further replies.