A/T fluid swap/flush?

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, MT-82, Ruby Red
The service interval for the transmission fluid in the automatic is 150K miles, aka "lifetime" fluid. This doesn't sit very well with me, so I'd like to start a thread on a sooner service interval and get some feedback from A/T owners.

From what I've heard the A/T "flush" services offered by many lube places are dangerous and scammy. Can anyone speak to this?

My thought is to just drop the pan and replace the filter and then fill with fresh fluid (about half of the fluid will be replaced) every 30K miles or so. The car wont probably be ever tracked, but it wont be driven like a grandma. Everyones thoughts on this?
Sponsored

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Not sure about it being a "lifetime" fluid or not but I don't think you need to worry about it any time soon. Most mechanics I've talked to (the ones you can trust) agree that you shouldn't do any kind of transmission flush unless something forces you to.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
"Sealed for Life" seems to me to be an attempt to reduce cost of ownership and little else. Also "Life" being 150,000 miles with no fluid change just sounds absurd!
I plan on swapping fluid and filter when I do my Sonnax Zip Kit later this year.

bone56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ive been wondering the exact thing, I'm gonna change it at 30k. Waiting to 150k , heck 100k is just too long in my opinion.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Never do a. Flush. Drain the fluid and refill whatever amount comes out. Drive it for 10min and repeat process till the fluid is new.

Sponsored

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Never do a. Flush. Drain the fluid and refill whatever amount comes out. Drive it for 10min and repeat process till the fluid is new.
:amen:

wolf_79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Not trying to come off as being a dick the what the hell is the difference between this and flushing?

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Not to come off as a di ck , but flushing these sealed transmissions with fluid has the capacity to do a lot of damage to certain critical components internally .. there is also the ability for the particulates that are in the transmission fluid to accumulate at given circulation points internally . Blocking these critical flow points .. there are newer techniques instituted for the replacement of transmission fluids today so look into these ideas first before you guys undertake the process of draining and filling your transmission fluid !

1 final thought . Do find the best possible Automatic Transmission fluid on the Market if you are so inclined to do this procedure ... Look at AMSOIL's first .

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The Mercon LV in the 6F35 in my Tribute is supposed to last 100k. We changed it out at 50k and again at 100k. I know this isn't apples to apples, but the fluid looked horrible both times. It couldn't have been much darker.

At least it didn't smell burnt at all. If I had an automatic, I would probably change it early.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
I changed mine at 40K - DARK, not burnt. Future changes are at 30K from now on.
SONNAX ZipKit was a bear to put in because the directions were vague (made for Transmission shops, not shadetrees), reassembly was a cinch.
Delay from P to R, R to D and D to R is all but gone.
5K later the shifts are MUCH nicer, more firm and quicker.
I believe the issue was the fresh fluid (8 quarts when you drop the VB!!!) needed time to remove built up sludge and varnish.
I added a reuseable pan gasket, new filter, drain plug and Royal Purple Synthetic ATF.
Sponsored