SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
what's it like?

came out of footy last night and 8 cars in the car park had all had their windows smashed & phones/wallets taken etc and not a single alarm was heard. These were a range of cars, but mostly BMW & Audis.

Luckily, the stang was at Ford due to battery issues so I was in the wifes car and just by habit i parked as close to the club office as possible in the really well lit area :hail:

Anyway, i thought all these high end german cars came with thatchman alarms as standard (like ours) so surely at least one would have been heard? It was suggested that they might have a device that would de-activate the alarm, but surely if they could do that, they could open the door too so no need to smash the window :crazy:

anyway, i don't really want to give up football but also don't fancy parking there anymore :( I can't say I've ever heard my alarm, even a false one, so that doesn't fill me with confidence :( anyone got any experience of what does & doesn't set them off? how long they go off for? etc anyone installed anything aftermarket that might be better?
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
When I go footy I don't take the Mustang as the areas generally not the most secure, I take the Hyundai instead!

I set the alarm off a few months ago and it was quite loud, not sure how long would have continued for as turned it off

OP
OP
SpArKy

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
When I go footy I don't take the Mustang as the areas generally not the most secure, I take the Hyundai instead!
it's my daily.

i can't see that conversation going too well.

me: hi babe, i'm taking your mini to footy cos i don't want mine to get broken into

wife: :tsk: :censored:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
it's my daily.

i can't see that conversation going too well.

me: hi babe, i'm taking your mini to footy cos i don't want mine to get broken into

wife: :tsk: :censored:
Mine gives me a bit off flack for taking her Hyundai - along lines of "why did you buy such a silly car that you can't drive it anywhere" But after listening to that kind of thing for 10 minutes I get to take it anyway

Sponsored

OP
OP
SpArKy

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Mine gives me a bit off flack for taking her Hyundai - along lines of "why did you buy such a silly car that you can't drive it anywhere" But after listening to that kind of thing for 10 minutes I get to take it anyway
haha, i get that all the time!! :)

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
The suction pad on my dashcam let go and the falling camera set off the alarm. Car was in the garage which is separate from the house and we didn't hear it though we do sit round the other side so to be fair I wouldn't have expected to. Only noticed it had been activated as the lights continue to flash afterwards.
As I remember it my BMW's alarm is more like a buzzer!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
it works, and it's fecking loud and annoying.

It'll even go off if you let the car auto lock and jack it up (tilt sensor).

As long as the car is locked, you're good to go.

The fact NONE of those cars alarms went off is very worrying!

OP
OP
SpArKy

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

can't guarantee none went off, but the club house is next to the car park and they didn't hear or see anything, and it's in pretty much plain site from the window.

also, pretty sure you wouldn't stick around and break into another 7 cars if there are alarms going off. 8 man co-ordinated smash and grab maybe? we did notice a lot of the cars that didn't get done had had the rain wiped from 1 of the windows (to see in).

the pitches are a good 100m from the car park so i doubt they'd have been heard whilst playing. i know i wouldn't have. i don't even know what mine sounds like :headbonk: gonna set it off as soon as i get it back :)

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather

Agree with Manders on this....I've been jacking the car up with the keys in the house (instead of in the car)...

The alarm soon goes off, and it's loud..:):thumbsup:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with Manders on this....I've been jacking the car up with the keys in the house (instead of in the car)...

The alarm soon goes off, and it's loud..:):thumbsup:
It scared the cr4p out of my painter who came round to take my wheel when I scuffed it lol! First thing I do when jacking up now is leave that key inside the car :lol:
[MENTION=24944]SpArKy[/MENTION] agreed, you just wouldn't one goes off u nab and run... you don't go for more. It sounds like either they knew people were leaving their doors unlocked, OR they had something that could bump them systems.

OP
OP
SpArKy

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
[MENTION=24944]SpArKy[/MENTION] agreed, you just wouldn't one goes off u nab and run... you don't go for more.
[MENTION=20131]Manders Mustang[/MENTION] you say that as if you're speaking from experience ;)

all the windows were smashed so it wasn't the doors being unlocked. Ironically the one guy who's boot doesn't lock properly and had a laptop in there didn't get targeted :headbonk:

i'm not sure it was all, but it certainly seemed like it was the vast majority of the BMWs and Audis in the carpark that got done.. & 1 Kia....... :crazy:

i can't find anything on the net about being able to disable the alarm, anything that can do that would unlock the doors too meaning no need to brake the window :shrug:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
@Manders Mustang you say that as if you're speaking from experience ;)

all the windows were smashed so it wasn't the doors being unlocked. Ironically the one guy who's boot doesn't lock properly and had a laptop in there didn't get targeted :headbonk:

i'm not sure it was all, but it certainly seemed like it was the vast majority of the BMWs and Audis in the carpark that got done.. & 1 Kia....... :crazy:

i can't find anything on the net about being able to disable the alarm, anything that can do that would unlock the doors too meaning no need to brake the window :shrug:
Well there's been talk around certain places for a while around the 'actual' security of cars. There's been shown demonstrations at hacking conventions etc of people literally walking into cars with a bit of code. If the same principal would be done to disable an alarm on certain car models. I doubt it'd be that hard.

You'd think the car alarm would go off immediately as the window would smash.

Who's volunteering their mustang to get a brick thrown through it? :crazy::lol:

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
It works.

Similar to SteveS, the dashcam mount fell off. The entire bloody street was woken up at 4am and my wife says she has never seen me move fast enough to look out the window overlooking the drive.

It is loud. And annoying.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual

I jacked mine up locked & alarm plus horn sounded, definitely two different tones. Unlock to cancel.
Used to have a Subaru & if you unlocked & got in & did not start in 30 secs alarm went off. Very annoying.

Tim
Sponsored