Sponsored

License plate screw threads (stolen license plate)

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
Can anyone tell me the screw thread pitch and diameter of the license plate screws? I know a few different coarse threads would fit but I'm anal OCD and want the originals. Someone stole my custom "GROWLER" plate last night, and I'd like to make it a little harder for them to do it again with some tamper resistant screws.
Sponsored

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
You could always super glue the screws in. My '13 had super big holes (like my license plate was uneven and it bugged my dad) so the entire first day I had the car my dad and I drove around to different part stores looking for screws that would work. He eventually had to super glue them in. No idea why the other two owners were removing the license plate so often.

In all seriousness, If you go to a part store and tell them what you want. I'm sure they will be able to help you. It'll be funny when they add it to their car and its like a dodge and a cop pulls them over and says "this isn't a mustang?"

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cops in my town are serious about it, which helps me sleep at night. My dad bought a new car, swapped his plates over before going to the dmv, and was pulled over on the first day. Police cars here have cameras that scan plates and list what car it's registered to, so they'll know pretty quick. Since mine was a custom tag, I bet someone just stole it to put on their wall. I'd rather not deal with the PITA! Gonna get 4 different kinds of tamper proof screws and use all 4 on all my cars.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Can anyone tell me the screw thread pitch and diameter of the license plate screws? I know a few different coarse threads would fit but I'm anal OCD and want the originals. Someone stole my custom "GROWLER" plate last night, and I'd like to make it a little harder for them to do it again with some tamper resistant screws.
Be hanging on the wall in some rednecks garage. Sorry to hear you had that happen. I hate thieves.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
My rear bumper license plate screws are looser than i'd prefer.

Been wondering if i should try a larger coarser screw or some sort of filler to give the screws something to bite onto.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think it's a 3/16 inch screw. Pitch is pretty coarse as it just bites into plastic.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
As much as I despise thieves, thinking whomever took your plate deserves a few whacks from a bag full of doorknobs, this sort of thing is common.

I have spoken with several people standing in line at our local DMV angry they are there to get a new plate. They are angrier still at how the thief will mangle their bumper or plate holder... most often they aren't nice, just grab the plate and yank. My point being if you make it even more difficult it might just result in extra damage to your baby. It sucks to have to look at it that way, make something easier to steal so do they don't mess up your ride.... personally I wish the better answer was to electrify the plate :)

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
My rear bumper license plate screws are looser than i'd prefer.

Been wondering if i should try a larger coarser screw or some sort of filler to give the screws something to bite onto.
Happened to mine as well. Here's a little trick and it works perfectly.

Take a small zip tie and cut off the tip of it the same length as the hole is deep. Put the piece of plastic zip tie into the hole then insert the screw and tighten. The zip tie will take up the slop in the threads and the screw tightens down nicely. Each time you have to remove it just use a new piece of zip tie.

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#14 is the size, coarse thread, Lowe's had security screws in that size, Home Depot only had #12 and they were loose.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I just use double sided tape that's rated for outdoor use and hold up to 50lbs or so. Has been more than two years and they're still going strong, makes me kinda worried since I'm selling the car soon and need to remove the plates...

Sponsored
OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The officer filling out my police report said that if he weren't on duty, he would suggest using some of that tape to attach some razor blades to the back of it. My custom tag is gone now though, had to get generic as a replacement, so not as much reason to steal it anymore...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
personally I wish the better answer was to electrify the plate :)
Runs the battery down. Trip wire it to a Claymore in the trunk. Yeah, it makes a mess but drastically cuts down on repeat offenders.