GT350 vs. Z/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
That is true but, I'd like to see the GT350 remain a $50,000 car. When compared to the z28, it's a Track Car Checkmate. It has the Camaro at every turn.

Not only that, regardless of weight, it puts the Camaro in a unique position this generation on day one. It has a basement MSRP, is a strong underdog in a GT-R/GT3/C6 Z06 fight and threatens the C7 Z51 and 997 as is.

Chevy doesn't have the engine and can't keep the MSRP low enough. An optioned 1SS isn't going to be faster than a Z51 and it risk costing just as much. The LT4 will have a peaky powerband and the driver will be shifting his heart out. Not mentioning the weight again... and obvious HEAT issues especially due to poor airflow and no more room for an additional heat exchanger in the front... Not without eliminating AC altogether.

The LT4 and matching TR6060 is a $12,000 dollar premium. Your already close to current ZL1 prices. With the equipment it needs, it would need to start around R prices at a minimum... but could be close to 4000lbs.
I agree with you 100%. There is no real need for that, but had it not been so costly to make CF chassis (which in future will be a common use I think), GT350 would have no contender, especially in 60k range, but it would be knocking on 911 Turbo's door. Chevy so far has got nothing on the GT350, like you said, their structure is too heavy, and so is price. Sometimes I wonder where Chevy got the MSRP for the Z/28, because surely not from real world calculations. With the mark ups, it can easily get to 80k range (like some 2015's on the dealer websites), and for that you can get a one/two year old GT-R, or a 911 or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Othe...tr=true&hash=item2a552260e7&item=181816942823 . And after all it's still a mid 20k Chevy Camaro, only with some improvements.
Sponsored

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
The GT350R has an aluminum front section...

Wow!!! You literally can't get any lighter than that.

CCB's, CF roof, more aluminum and maybe structural Boron.
The whole front section isn't aluminum. Just the front bumper beam. The hood and fenders are aluminum on all Mustangs.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The whole front section isn't aluminum. Just the front bumper beam. The hood and fenders are aluminum on all Mustangs.
Jamal said its aluminum from the A-Pillar up.

Maybe just panels...

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Chevy so far has got nothing on the GT350, like you said, their structure is too heavy, and so is price. Sometimes I wonder where Chevy got the MSRP for the Z/28, because surely not from real world calculations. With the mark ups, it can easily get to 80k range.
Some dealers get crazy with markups. Looked at a Z/28 a couple of weeks ago that was $20K over MSRP or $96,000 but a few months ago a new one was listed at $55,000.

Here's a new GT350 listed near me for over $97,000. Maybe because it's a 2015 & will be worth alot of money in 30 years:shrug:

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
A special kind of idiot...

He seems to remember a lot of magazine comparisons but never actually brings up competition. You wanna see a GT and an SS go head to head? SCCA... then come talk to me. The GT is killing it... The 1LE is a joke, so is this clown... An EBPP managed two 1LE's in the first SCCA event this season. Sorry, I'm not impressed...

Ford answered the z28 almost immediately. This fool thinks it's a dig because it's $50,000-$60,000. The z28 is $75,000 and can't hold a candle to it.

It's a new chassis??? The S197 came out in 2004 and re-entered to race program. 9 years later, when they discover the 1LE can't handle a Boss in Motorsport, they come with a completely non-compliant Frankenstein to run.

They even tested it against the Boss 302... NOT A 2013 mind you, an older 2012 and ONLY after the Boss ceased production.

It took Chevy 9 f@ckin' years to answer the Mustang and when they did, it was overkill to ensure a victory.

Even then, Ford had a GT350 in the tube...

I say take your broke ass 5th Gen to the SCCA, see if your still opinionated then.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
F@ck GM and the boys that give them oral... I hope that's the new ZL1/z28 engine. It's CRAP!!!

Wasn't it GM that sent them a car from the Alignment Shop out of alignment? They also forget correct tire pressure, mandatory aero and a special tune that makes it faster the 2nd and 3rd time your paid to test it.

Eventually, even Motor Trend will tire of this.

tooslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback, 2012 Jeep GC
A special kind of idiot...

He seems to remember a lot of magazine comparisons but never actually brings up competition. You wanna see a GT and an SS go head to head? SCCA... then come talk to me. The GT is killing it... The 1LE is a joke, so is this clown... An EBPP managed two 1LE's in the first SCCA event this season. Sorry, I'm not impressed...

Ford answered the z28 almost immediately. This fool thinks it's a dig because it's $50,000-$60,000. The z28 is $75,000 and can't hold a candle to it.

It's a new chassis??? The S197 came out in 2004 and re-entered to race program. 9 years later, when they discover the 1LE can't handle a Boss in Motorsport, they come with a completely non-compliant Frankenstein to run.

They even tested it against the Boss 302... NOT A 2013 mind you, an older 2012 and ONLY after the Boss ceased production.

It took Chevy 9 f@ckin' years to answer the Mustang and when they did, it was overkill to ensure a victory.

Even then, Ford had a GT350 in the tube...

I say take your broke ass 5th Gen to the SCCA, see if your still opinionated then.
It's just the beginning of the butt hurt once actual track times come out for the GT350R. It's GM's fault that they built their "track king" Camaro on an aging platform at the end of its life cycle. It's not like they didn't know the 6thGen Camaro was right around the corner. The fact remains, regardless of the "handicaps" the z/28 had, it IS the fastest Camaro GM currently builds around the track. As such, it is fair game to be compared to the GT350, much to the chagrin of the GM fanboys and clingons.

GM has known the GT350 was coming for years, yet they have elected not to build a direct competitor for it for the initial 6thGen Camaro production. This is likely because GM always engineers to a known performance target versus being the vanguard. That's been the case since 1967.

Last edited:

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
F@ck GM and the boys that give them oral... I hope that's the new ZL1/z28 engine. It's CRAP!!!

Wasn't it GM that sent them a car from the Alignment Shop out of alignment? They also forget correct tire pressure, mandatory aero and a special tune that makes it faster the 2nd and 3rd time your paid to test it.

Eventually, even Motor Trend will tire of this.
'

Its 100 with a heat index of 108 here in southern Ok. That bitch would melt lol.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Well, on a personal level, things have worked out for thePill. It was a hard road for sure but in the end, Doctors are Doctors and I'm just thePill :( But, so many things have changed since 830am and its all for the better.

I have a few things to finish on my end but it shouldn't be an issue. I do intend on buying a GT350/500 but sadly, I will never race again. Oh well, I sucked anyway... Another bummer is working and building cars, that's over too...

However, since I have accumulated a wide variety of skills, experience and education, I plan on finding another way... Something less "Have to" for something more "Me".

Since the Gumball is out of the question, I may just travel and attend these kinds of races and events personally. I mean, I do write for mostly Mustang fans. In my opinion Mustang fans are entitled to more of everything...and you can't beat the price of thePill, it cost them nothing. I would like to follow IMSA next year with Mrs.Pill (some of you know from FB) and more than likely reporting directly from the site.

Remember, if you want your info on a handsome plater with golden reference links and press releases, TopNotch is your man... It's all in the name...

If you want to twist every topic like a Rubix Cube until we unass the answer ourselves, thePill got you covered ;)

Life is a strange thing from one day to the next. I guess none of this surprises me and until recently, I thought this was the worst thing that could happen. You know, not being able to do exactly what I want...

But maybe now I want to talk about cars 24-7 :lol: So it seems to be working out...

FULL LIME ROCK RACE!!!

[ame].

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Well, on a personal level, things have worked out for thePill. It was a hard road for sure but in the end, Doctors are Doctors and I'm just thePill :( But, so many things have changed since 830am and its all for the better.

I have a few things to finish on my end but it shouldn't be an issue. I do intend on buying a GT350/500 but sadly, I will never race again. Oh well, I sucked anyway... Another bummer is working and building cars, that's over too...

However, since I have accumulated a wide variety of skills, experience and education, I plan on finding another way... Something less "Have to" for something more "Me".

Since the Gumball is out of the question, I may just travel and attend these kinds of races and events personally. I mean, I do write for mostly Mustang fans. In my opinion Mustang fans are entitled to more of everything...and you can't beat the price of thePill, it cost them nothing. I would like to follow IMSA next year with Mrs.Pill (some of you know from FB) and more than likely reporting directly from the site.

Remember, if you want your info on a handsome plater with golden reference links and press releases, TopNotch is your man... It's all in the name...

If you want to twist every topic like a Rubix Cube until we unass the answer ourselves, thePill got you covered ;)

Life is a strange thing from one day to the next. I guess none of this surprises me and until recently, I thought this was the worst thing that could happen. You know, not being able to do exactly what I want...

But maybe now I want to talk about cars 24-7 :lol: So it seems to be working out...

FULL LIME ROCK RACE!!!

What happened?

Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
FULL LIME ROCK RACE!!!

Had the Porsche used one of their N/A 911's, Ford and Chevy dominance could be seriously threatened, but instead they're trying to keep it fair with the Cayman :D.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
What happened?
Life happened and then it happened again. Everything is fine, sorta was anyway but, everything is considerably better than it was this AM.

I will have more time to invest in things Automotive.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Had the Porsche used one of their N/A 911's, Ford and Chevy dominance could be seriously threatened, but instead they're trying to keep it fair with the Cayman :D.
Porsche would likely need a 911 GT3 RS. It's a step up...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.