Sponsored

Consumer reports loves the M235

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
So I got my March 16 issue & page 60 gives the BMW the only "much better than average" predicted reliability rating of the 15 cars listed.

Mustangs are rated "much worse than average" and the icon of sporty reliability Mazda MX-5 only comes in at "better than average".

I am now confused after having owned Mustangs and the Miata & thoroughly researched the 235 as well as the first two cars. I ran away from the BMW based on what is going on with the 335's in maintenance costs after the cars get some miles and time on them.

So I dig out the 2016 consumer reports buying guide. The 13-15 Mustangs are good to very good in every category except 'noises and leaks' (13 is worse than average and 14-15 are average) , but the 13 and 15 cars are rated 'much worse than average' as a whole and the 14 only average???

BMW 1 & 3 series do about as well as the Mustang in individual catagories but get a good bit more love in the overall verdict ratings. The 2 series has one good year (2015) but I assume that like the 1's and some of the 3's , the lions share of cars sold are 4 cylinder cars that are driven more by soccer Moms than hooligans.

When I consider the above and also all the soft factors for reliability comparison (representative sample size, typical driver, relative costs of repairs) , it seems to me that CR was extremely off base in their conclusions, but perhaps I am just a Mustang fan boy ?
(Being honest they will have to pry my GT from my cold dead hands, so maybe it is just me).
Sponsored

Shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I dont pay much attention to short term reliability ratings from magazines and consumer reviewers. If memory serves me right they include everything from NAV to body panel alignment in their reviews. To me that means the Mustang probably had a few growing pains out of the gate that have been corrected...

I tend to search the forums of a car to get a true short term reliability rating. The forums are what warned me off from a Scat pack. When I search Mustang6g and appears that the Mustang has a very few reoccurring problems and is a smart buy. When I search the BMW forums it appears the M235i has almost no reoccurring problems....Both seem to be a good buy in the short run.

Last edited:

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Consumer Reports loved the 135i as well. 98 I think score. That car was in the shop for everything from a bad wastegate fix to completely replacing BOTH TURBOS. What a POS. Typical BMW junk.

Everyone one of my Mustangs since (every year Coyote except for a 14) have had ZERO issues. Not a single problem with my Competition Orange GT in 6 months other than absolutely loving it.

BMW's are great until the the first service. That's why they include "free service and 4 year warranty". Anyone that holds on to one after 4 years has money to burn.

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
My last two cars were BMW's and they are highly overated. I leased them because after that everything costs 4-5 times what a normal car would cost. I've had 3 in my life now and won't ever buy another. My 2016 Mustang GT is way more fun to drive & did I mention engine sound ?? Lol

Sponsored

Boss Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C43C
The 2 series has been one of the most reliable platforms for BMW, I think they got that one right.

Take a peak at the NHTSA data for a 2015 m235i, zero recalls, zero complaints, 1 complaint for a 2014. Mustang sells a lot more but you will see 39 recalls and couple hundred complaints for the same two year span.

I will dump mine when the warranty is close as I do have concerns regarding ownership after warranty expires as parts are ridiculously expensive. But forget the m235i, there is a new sheriff in town.

BMW M240i Coupe and Convertible (B58 engine)
335 HP / 369 LB-FT for M240i (0-60 in 4.2 sec)

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
The 2 series has been one of the most reliable platforms for BMW, I think they got that one right.

Take a peak at the NHTSA data for a 2015 m235i, zero recalls, zero complaints, 1 complaint for a 2014. Mustang sells a lot more but you will see 39 recalls and couple hundred complaints for the same two year span.

I will dump mine when the warranty is close as I do have concerns regarding ownership after warranty expires as parts are ridiculously expensive. But forget the m235i, there is a new sheriff in town.

BMW M240i Coupe and Convertible (B58 engine)
335 HP / 369 LB-FT for M240i (0-60 in 4.2 sec)
Yep... except it's the M2

Boss Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C43C
Yep... except it's the M2
No, that is the 2017 m240i stats you can order Today that is replacing the m235i. Some M2 owners are pissed as a result, M2 certainly wins at the track, drivers race everywhere else with the m240i having more available torque across the band. M2 could see an engine upgrade for MY2018.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-bmw-2-series-official-photos-and-info-news

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/most-and-least-reliable-cars-by-class/

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/e1/u...RO.mp4?pubId=1078702682&videoId=3625683691001

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/bmw-m235i-2016-10best-cars-feature

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/top-cars-in-our-tests/ar-BBm911p

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree with what the others are saying. I think my Fords have been really good, but Consumer Reports doesn't rate them well. I think it's because when reliability comes down to 1 or 2 cars out of a thousand having a problem, that the odds are good even with a "poor" quality car I will end up with a car that has zero problems.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, that is the 2017 m240i stats you can order Today that is replacing the m235i. Some M2 owners are pissed as a result, M2 certainly wins at the track, drivers race everywhere else with the m240i having more available torque across the band. M2 could see an engine upgrade for MY2018.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-bmw-2-series-official-photos-and-info-news

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/most-and-least-reliable-cars-by-class/

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/e1/u...RO.mp4?pubId=1078702682&videoId=3625683691001

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/bmw-m235i-2016-10best-cars-feature

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/top-cars-in-our-tests/ar-BBm911p
I understand that the M240i replaces the M235i. I also have read all the reviews and yes, it's a great car.

You said there's a new sheriff in town... I'm saying it's the M2.

Frankly, I really can't see why anyone would get an m235/40 at this point. Once you build it out with options they are so close in price that it doesn't make sense not to get the M2. The only problem is the availability of the M2 and the horrendous lease rates. Eventually that will change though.

Also, where is the Mustang in this conversation?

Sponsored

WilECoyote5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible Competition Orange
My wife just got the M235Xi convertible...she was jealous of my gt vert....incredible car...very quick and handles like a dream
IMG_2241.jpg

WilECoyote5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible Competition Orange
I understand that the M240i replaces the M235i. I also have read all the reviews and yes, it's a great car.

You said there's a new sheriff in town... I'm saying it's the M2.

Frankly, I really can't see why anyone would get an m235/40 at this point. Once you build it out with options they are so close in price that it doesn't make sense not to get the M2. The only problem is the availability of the M2 and the horrendous lease rates. Eventually that will change though.

Also, where is the Mustang in this conversation?
Our thinking for going with the M235 instead of waiting for the M240 boiled down to three things. 1) 2016 is last year for the 4 year, 50k maintenance program 2) M235 engine is dialed and worked out and new Bimmer engines are not always reliable 3) Much better deal on a 16 vs the new car

Didn't consider M2 because wife wanted a convertible....:mad:

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our thinking for going with the M235 instead of waiting for the M240 boiled down to three things. 1) 2016 is last year for the 4 year, 50k maintenance program 2) M235 engine is dialed and worked out and new Bimmer engines are not always reliable 3) Much better deal on a 16 vs the new car

Didn't consider M2 because wife wanted a convertible....:mad:
Yeah if you want the vert then it definitely makes sense. Plus it's hard to get an M2 right now.

I've always liked the red interior on the bimmers. They do a good job of it, although the pics never do it justice. Looks good. Get some gloss black grills!

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]XKH5Gd92k74[/MEDIA]"]
Sponsored