Sponsored

Looking to Upgrade Fluid

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CSGT Competition Orange
So I was going to post and ask about the funky "grabby" feel between 1st and 2nd, but it looks like this is just a thing. I was kind of concerned I had an issue, but from what I've seen it's normal.

The amount of force required to shift between 1st and 2nd during hard acceleration is annoying but not unbearable. A weighted shift knob would help a lot, but really the only option is WC Lathewerks (for me).

Aaaannyway... what would be the recommended fluid to help with the overall feel/smoothness of the transmission? I'm seeing a lot of people mention Royal Purple Synchromax - anything "better"? Also, I'm not seeing a specific weight for the RP - is there a specific weight I should be trying to find for the transmission?

Lastly, admittedly I've only ever swapped fluid on a transaxle for a Geo Prizm. I'm pretty good with a wrench but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before shimmying under the car - anybody got some basic instructions or pictures?
Sponsored

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Magnetic
Make sure you search before you post man. Many people started with Royal purple but even more have switched to BG transmission fluid being sold by Optimum Performance. That's what I have and I love it. It feels even better than my friends car running the RP Synchromax.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
get an upgraded shifter like the MGW to get rid of the gear lockouts and sloppiness of the stock transmission. Changing the fluid will only get rid of the notchiness

OP
OP
OrangeRush

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
get an upgraded shifter like the MGW to get rid of the gear lockouts and sloppiness of the stock transmission. Changing the fluid will only get rid of the notchiness
Well, it would be an improvement regardless. I'm not sure if I want to invest the time/money in a shifter. My car is a DD, and I can live with the stock shifter if it means I don't have to go taking apart half my drivetrain to swap it.

Sithel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well, it would be an improvement regardless. I'm not sure if I want to invest the time/money in a shifter. My car is a DD, and I can live with the stock shifter if it means I don't have to go taking apart half my drivetrain to swap it.
I see your in Georgia and I believe MGW is too. You could also go that route and they will install the shifter for free !

Sponsored

GT Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I see your in Georgia and I believe MGW is too. You could also go that route and they will install the shifter for free !
Did not know that. That's a great deal! :thumbsup: Wish I was closer

OP
OP
OrangeRush

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I knew they were in GA but I didn't know they'd install for free. That's pretty awesome. I may go that route after all.

Thanks!
Sponsored