Sponsored

Trufiber ram air hood - question about rain

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
I recently bought and installed the Trufiber A72 fiberglass ram air hood, and absolutely love what it does to the look of the car. I bought the hood for the aesthetics, the fact that it has a functional "ram air" system is just a bonus.

I currently still have the stock intake (and will for a while - I won't be doing power mods till my warranty is up), but thinking down the road to maybe eventually getting an aftermarket CAI, I had a question about getting an open-top CAI. If one were to buy an open CAI, in order to take advantage of the cool air being dumped into the intake by the hood's ram air system, would you have to avoid driving in the rain?

Everyone has heard about CAI systems sucking up water when driving through deep puddles (mainly those back in the day that you had to route into the fender), but wouldn't the Trufiber hood do basically the same thing if it is raining? It seems like it would just be dumping rainwater straight onto your intake. Or does having this hood with an open-top intake basically make it impossible to use the car as a daily?
Sponsored

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
I have the Cervini Stalker which is similar design and a PMAS intake and recently drove 350 miles in a downpour and it was fine. I had similar concerns but nothing was wrong with it

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I am staying with the stock AI. I hit nearly two feet of water on the Interstate in Birmingham, Alabama, this spring. Three inches of water swept over the hood, windshield and top. When I had the chance to look...no water in the AI at all. Who needs a snorkel?
Sponsored