Ford Names New CEO, Jim Hackett, in Big Leadership Shakeup

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Got to wonder what big leadership changes like this mean for One Ford and the global (ie RHD) availability of Mustangs. You've got to reckon it is an easy idea to can.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Got to wonder what big leadership changes like this mean for One Ford and the global (ie RHD) availability of Mustangs. You've got to reckon it is an easy idea to can.
One Ford was Alan Mulally's baby......and it's probably the reason Ford are still making billions. I can't see them deviating from that, and the Mustang-for-the-rest-of-the-world has been a massive success.

Just my 2c......for what its worth :)

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I did NOT see that one coming. I know Ford's profits have been down significantly this year, but they're still raking in billions. Still, when your share price slides as far as Ford's has, I guess someone has to take the fall for it......but I figured they'd just revise their business plan, rather than fire the man at the top.
In order to revise the plan, they need a CEO who contributes to it and executes it.

As bad as I feel for Mark, this was the right move.

Outside of the move to add more aluminum to the fleet, I never really saw any vision betond that.

And an enthusiast car that stagnates for THREE years? While the competition is swinging for the fences... What?

This is good news.

Now we should see movement toward a clearer product standing and vision along with efficient production. This will allow for a few standouts to really stand out.

We should see innovation in all ranges of ecoboost, aluminum, electric, and self-driving tech moving forward.

This guy is bare bones. But that's what Ford needs right now. He may only be around as long as fields, but he will get the ball rolling in the right direction.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
One question. Is he related to Buddy Hackett?

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so glad I'll be dead before I'm forced to buy an Autonomous Vehicle.
I look forward to the sweet spot where autonomous vehicles become affordable and mainstream enough that it takes lots of bad drivers & drunks off the road but I can still buy and drive my non-autonomous car.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
We might get an electric Mustang instead of a hybrid after all.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We might get an electric Mustang instead of a hybrid after all.
That could be interesting. I'm willing to give up combustion engine noises if I can still shift gears (and I'll have to eventually, anyway). I know that ditching the transmission is how most of the EV production cars are going, but there has to be some advantage to using a simple manual transmission for efficiency at least with a small electric motor, even given the powertrain losses. I can't believe no one (that I know of) if trying to make a relatively simple, light GT86-style car with a small electric motor, RWD and 3 or 4 speed manual tranny. I think it could be a good hit with the enthusiasts if done right. Sure, the market for that isn't huge, but if you were the first you'd have a monopoly on it for a while.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That could be interesting. I'm willing to give up combustion engine noises if I can still shift gears (and I'll have to eventually, anyway). I know that ditching the transmission is how most of the EV production cars are going, but there has to be some advantage to using a simple manual transmission for efficiency at least with a small electric motor, even given the powertrain losses. I can't believe no one (that I know of) if trying to make a relatively simple, light GT86-style car with a small electric motor, RWD and 3 or 4 speed manual tranny. I think it could be a good hit with the enthusiasts if done right. Sure, the market for that isn't huge, but if you were the first you'd have a monopoly on it for a while.
This would be neat, though you probably wouldn't need more than 2 possibly 3 speeds. Electric motors have a much wider powerband. Tesla sorta already did it with the Roadster, though.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This would be neat, though you probably wouldn't need more than 2 possibly 3 speeds. Electric motors have a much wider powerband. Tesla sorta already did it with the Roadster, though.
Good point. I bet it would depend greatly on the size of the motor, though. And also just how much performance and/or high speed (or decreased highway rpm) you wanted. IIRC some of those Formula-E racecars have quite a few gears, 5 or 6 I think? But then again, I think some of the other teams are running one or two speed gearboxes, so who knows.

Sponsored

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
One Ford was Alan Mulally's baby......and it's probably the reason Ford are still making billions. I can't see them deviating from that, and the Mustang-for-the-rest-of-the-world has been a massive success.

Just my 2c......for what its worth :)
I hope your right, just when I was thinking Ford has its act together with global platform products (with the exception of closing Ford production in Australia) god help us if we see US production shift to Mexico or Thailand.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Mark Fields, who is retiring. That's corporate lingo for He just got fired

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
I'm so glad I'll be dead before I'm forced to buy an Autonomous Vehicle.
autonomous cars just shows how WEAK humanity has become.too lazy to drive,too lazy to cook,too lazy to go shop for food,peapod does that for alot of people now.TRUMP won ,and since he won,i cant go to work,i need petting dogs to help me through my mental meltdown,this is the kind of thinking that is destroying america at a fast pace.:tsk:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Thats an interesting post considering this is a mustang forum. For me personally it's all about the mechanical's of a combustion engine, and the noise that comes with it. I have no interest in driving an appliance. If the general public truely wanted that the other offerings of electric vehicles, hybrids included would be flying off the lots.

supersnake94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
It could be possible. Take a look at this company that converted an F150 to all electric. Still has a manual transmission.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]PAp4MVdy7nc[/MEDIA]"]

Fields' departure is bittersweet, but also understandable. I am just hoping though that the change in CEOs does not have an impact on the next halo Mustang. If all is still good, I am fine with that,
Sponsored