2017 GT350R vs. 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I've always had respect for Camaro's. I just happen to be a "Ford guy" and as such stick with Ford products. The most recent Camaro iteration has definitely caught my attention. I recently went down to Georgia to take care of a few things with my good friend George from MGW shifters. He had just picked up a '17 Camaro SS 1LE and the plan was to track the car to get a feel for the stock shifter mechanism.

He had a white GT350 that we tracked and I couldn't help but notice similarities between the two as different as they may be.

It was about a 2.5hr drive to Roebling Road (each way) and I got used to the dash layout and controls fairly quickly.

George drove his "just off the showroom floor" Focus RS there and we both spent quality time in each for a full track day. He had rented the track so there was nobody there but four cars and only us two in the afternoon.

The SS 1LE is a very close match to the GT350. I was able to hit 145mph by the end of the straight in the GT350 but only about 141 in the Camaro. The Camaro was in need of a shift from fourth to fifth too whereas the GT350 could have kept on going weren't there a need to get hard on the brakes for turn one. The cars feel the same size/weight wise. The various drive modes are very similar as well. Brakes are a wash. And surprisingly, the Goodyear tires on the Camaro held their own once hot in comparison to the Michelin's on the GT350.

The Camaro did have a couple of things the Mustang sorely needs. For one, rev matching. Heel and toe purists may balk but it works so well that it allows complete focus elsewhere. No matter what gear or rpm you are in/at, the car matches your downshifts perfectly. And you can shut it off instantly if you want to.

The other thing the Camaro had was a performance data recorder. All you need to do is to plug the appropriate memory card into the dash, and go. It uses the Navigation/Audio screen, a front mounted camera, and GPS. It automatically figures out the track layout and shows braking, throttle position, steering wheel angle, tire slip, rpm, mph, etc. As soon as you pull into the pits you can watch the laps you just ran. Nice to see your line, note speed, slip, etc. Perfect, instant, feedback. I consider this a must-have for the GT350 successor.

One thing I absolutely hated about the Camaro that I never see mentioned - the footwell on the driver side. The floor slopes downward right where your heel would normally reside, down into a lower "box" area. It prevents modulating the clutch by pivoting your ankle. It forces you to pivot from the hip and pick up your entire leg. I didn't notice it as much when being as aggressive as possible while on the track. But under regular driving conditions outside of the track it really ruined the experience for me. If I had a Camaro I'd definitely be welding in a plate beneath the carpet to flatten it out like every other car out there.

Beyond the above, I did like the TR6060 that Ford abandoned in favor of the TR3160. If the next GT500 has much more power than the current GT350 Ford may have to go back to it if for anything, the additional torque capacity. It worked well in the lower revving Camaro so I'm not sure how Ford will handle it if their next monster revs way up high. Anyway, part of my visit included building a transmission stand for the Camaro's TR6060. Similar to the TR6060 in the last GT500 but with typical GM deviations (bellhousing, trans mount, shifter, fixed flange, etc).

The Camaro does differ from the GT350 quite a bit in terms of access to the shifter. Looking up from under the car while it is up on a lift...nightmare. A labyrinth of obstruction. You have to remove the exhaust system, driveshaft, heatshields, all before attempting to tip the rear of the transmission down to gain access to the stock shifter. The car could definitely use a shifter but it sure isn't going to be as easy as it has been in the past to do it.

The ZL1 has got to be a monster. The ZL1 1LE...I'd definitely consider buying one at MSRP. The biggest motivation for me would be not having to deal with ass rape at Ford dealers across the country. The next Mustang bad boy is going to have absolutely ridiculous ADM's unless Ford somehow manages to get it under control. I don't think they care enough to address it (I actually think they take pride in it) and that alone pushes me away.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Good point, I also think they take pride in it. If they didn't they would do something....maybe similar to the GT lotto process where you could choose your dealer. My dealer doesn't charge ADM and already am first in line for the next SE. If they make a more limited model in which they can't get then I'll be out of luck.
Going back to recent history, the ford may come with a bit of ADM at first but with patience it will usually go away. The bonus is resale is usually better than the competition, but waiting is hard to do.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Good points thanks for sharing ...

Ford definitely has their own version of the PDR , if you watched the Ford GT videos they showed some of the overlay behavior , it even was showing steering angle and other interesting things. The sync screen in those videos was also showing some track specific info which leads me to believe it'll do some auto detection of the road courses plus the turns, splits etc ... a version of this has to be on the next ultra Stang.

I'd also expect to see some active aero and the trick dual spring rate DSSV like on the GT (multimatic MUST have something special saved for the new ultra mustang...) but I'll save those predictions for the GT500 section. :)

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
I have and believe his statement to be true. It doesn't look as nice as a 350R and if I were to drive a zl1 I'm sure I'd like to drive the 350R more. The zl1 will hand it to the 350R performance wise, I'm not questioning that. It's 125 HP shy of it and gobs of torque less.
The apples to apples will be when the FI mustang comes out. When it rolls off the line it will more than likely take every category against a zl1. I still think the 350R will be a nicer driving experience than the next FI mustang but we'll see about that. I have patience and confidence in the next SE mustang, they are testing it and it will be an ass kicker.
Well, for me it dampens the whole experience when I can't walk into a dealer and at the very least pay what's on that Ford window sticker. I like what Ford does with Mustangs but the dealers hamper the experience for many. It's been this way since the Shelby nameplate was brought back. And I've actually had a 2013 Shelby, but didn't pay adm. And at this point, if Ford does introduce a ZL1 competitor, what will it cost? R' s average around $67k I think. So where does that place the next forced induction Stang?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I agree, the buying experience sucks thru ford unless you have a good long lasting relationship with a dealer. If you have patience you'll get a msrp or less deal on the ford the same as the competition and when it comes time to sell. The ford will likely bring more money.
As.fAar as price, I see ford bringing in a supercharged 5.2 for the same money - starting- as the zl1. I also think it will have a KR version which will be about 8k more. I see it starting at 66k and going up to 80. For those that don't have honest dealers I'd expect 10k off the bat...but after a year, settling down to msrp. I don't think a supercharged car will bring a large adm for long. Now, If there is something real special about It, all bets are off the table...and ADM could stick around for the full run, which will only be 2 years.

Sponsored

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
The ZL1 and ZL1-1LE are definitely competition to the GT350 lineup, which may help level off some of the ADM's and high prices (especially the R).

But I think I can speak for most of the Mustang crowd here and say the Camaro is butt ugly and hard to see out of, and from my viewpoint as a GT350 owner, I would never consider one no matter how much more power it had or if it slightly out-handled the GT350. :cool:
I see you say the Camaro is butt ugly. I didn't like the 5th Gen. But you sound like you are in 8th grade on the playground. You get you ass kicked by the bigger, faster, stronger guy and all you can say is, "well you are ugly". So you will continue to get your ass kicked by that same guy over and over. Ugly, oh yes that really phuking hurts. :first:

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
I completely agree. I respect the hell out of what Chevy has done with Camaro and anyone that buys one, I totally get it. They are very quick, sound good, the alpha platform is amazing, the interior is much nicer than before. That said, for me, it never even entered into the equation. I didn't buy my GT350 to beat people around a track, I bought it to have FUN at the track...and to me, it is the more fun car. A high revving V8, a great suspension, a good transmission, and the most amazing sound ever, I didn't cross shop it with anything.
They both have the Tremec 6 speed, just different gear ratios because of the higher revving engine. I did like the GT350, and it was fun. I think the GT350 exhaust sounds better than the ZL1; I think it is just louder for the sake of being louder and it does not help the performance. But I sold it because I just didn't like Ford and all of the problems.

I have driven the ZL1 over the same hills, curves, bumps at the same settings. The ZL1 was more planted and rear end was less twitchy. The ZL1 pulls so much stronger below 4k rpm and then continues to climb. So much more torque; there is no comparison. So since the ZL1 is in its 2nd Gen of the magnetic ride control, it is better than the GT350. GM has learned 1st what is needed to make it better.

Everyone can slam all you want about not seeing out(lame), tight fit (I actually feel more secure and don't move around so much) but the ZL1 has so much technology(blind spot monitoring, side traffic, back up camera, so much more for less, and I don't need to rip out the back seat, A/C, radio to go fast.

Really nice actually..

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I see you say the Camaro is butt ugly. I didn't like the 5th Gen. But you sound like you are in 8th grade on the playground. You get you ass kicked by the bigger, faster, stronger guy and all you can say is, "well you are ugly". So you will continue to get your ass kicked by that same guy over and over. Ugly, oh yes that really phuking hurts. :first:
You can't discount the fact that "looks" are a very important factor, though subjective.

I'm a long time GM buyer, and I've owned 7 corvettes including a Z06. My latest is a 71' with a Dart 427 SBC. I love that one the most.

I could've bought either, but after sitting in both, and looking at both, the GT350 looks better, with better visibility.

Yeah, I bought a Mustang..I still can't believe it, but I enjoy the hell out of it.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
They both have the Tremec 6 speed, just different gear ratios because of the higher revving engine. I did like the GT350, and it was fun. I think the GT350 exhaust sounds better than the ZL1; I think it is just louder for the sake of being louder and it does not help the performance. But I sold it because I just didn't like Ford and all of the problems.

I have driven the ZL1 over the same hills, curves, bumps at the same settings. The ZL1 was more planted and rear end was less twitchy. The ZL1 pulls so much stronger below 4k rpm and then continues to climb. So much more torque; there is no comparison. So since the ZL1 is in its 2nd Gen of the magnetic ride control, it is better than the GT350. GM has learned 1st what is needed to make it better.

Everyone can slam all you want about not seeing out(lame), tight fit (I actually feel more secure and don't move around so much) but the ZL1 has so much technology(blind spot monitoring, side traffic, back up camera, so much more for less, and I don't need to rip out the back seat, A/C, radio to go fast.

Really nice actually..
As long as you love your car, thats all that matters. Ive always wanted a high revving NA engine as I feel that any kind of FI kills the exhaust note. Most of us who bought the GT350 knows it's not the fastest kid on the block, nor will it ever be. In my opinion, thats a game you can't win anyways.

We live in a great moment in automotive history where we have an abundance of affordable, amazing cars.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Well, for me it dampens the whole experience when I can't walk into a dealer and at the very least pay what's on that Ford window sticker. I like what Ford does with Mustangs but the dealers hamper the experience for many. It's been this way since the Shelby nameplate was brought back. And I've actually had a 2013 Shelby, but didn't pay adm. And at this point, if Ford does introduce a ZL1 competitor, what will it cost? R' s average around $67k I think. So where does that place the next forced induction Stang?
Probably the same price. There won't be any GT500 to break over 70K; the last GT500 with 662hp was only 75K here in Canada, where the prices are majorly more expensive than in the US.

Looks are subjective, I don't think its an "ugly" car, just not a beautiful car. I think the 350 blends aggressive styling with a more classic sports car shape better than the Camaro does, which just tries to be as aggressive looking as possible.

And it's not like that at all. Some of us have just moved beyond the whole "my car is faster than yours" mentality. There's always going to be something faster around the corner, for those who recognize that, you can start to enjoy the things that really matter.

Really nice actually..
Not the same transmission; TR6060 vs TR3160. The heavier unit is in the Camaro, similar to that used in the Corvette/Viper and the last GT500. Used for it's greater torque capacity. TR3160 is lighter and crisper (have driven both) and built for high rpm capability, but with lower torque capacity.

I agree regarding the electronic tech, that the GM offers more than on the Ford side; not a Ford or GM guy FYI, this is my first and likely only Ford that I'll ever buy. Also agree that they should have more magnetic ride control experience as they've been using them for longer, however they are the exact same dampers made by the exact same company, so the only differences are in the electronic tuning.

One of the joys of a pushrod V8 is that low-end torque, and for the typical "muscle car" guy, that has huge appeal. But, you trade off that for a flat powerband and a low redline. When you think about how the power is made, based on how strong it feels at 2000rpms, you would think that by 6000 your brain is going to be saying "OMG HOLY F***" with the power... but it doesn't. You largely don't get any top end surge whatsoever.

And I think that is part of the appeal of the high revving Voodoo. Similar to the high revving NA Porsches, Ferrari's etc, the engine rewards you near redline with its greatest power, the higher you rev the more shove you get. It makes you Want to rev the motor out, rewards you for doing so. With your engine it doesn't need to be revved out, and in my personal opinion, if the motor doesn't make you feel like it Wants to be revved out, then it won't make me want to either.

The ZL1 is a monster no doubt and a better performance car, but the 350/R is a better Sports car for drivers.

Sponsored

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Probably the same price. There won't be any GT500 to break over 70K; the last GT500 with 662hp was only 75K here in Canada, where the prices are majorly more expensive than in the US.

Looks are subjective, I don't think its an "ugly" car, just not a beautiful car. I think the 350 blends aggressive styling with a more classic sports car shape better than the Camaro does, which just tries to be as aggressive looking as possible.

And it's not like that at all. Some of us have just moved beyond the whole "my car is faster than yours" mentality. There's always going to be something faster around the corner, for those who recognize that, you can start to enjoy the things that really matter.

Not the same transmission; TR6060 vs TR3160. The heavier unit is in the Camaro, similar to that used in the Corvette/Viper and the last GT500. Used for it's greater torque capacity. TR3160 is lighter and crisper (have driven both) and built for high rpm capability, but with lower torque capacity.

I agree regarding the electronic tech, that the GM offers more than on the Ford side; not a Ford or GM guy FYI, this is my first and likely only Ford that I'll ever buy. Also agree that they should have more magnetic ride control experience as they've been using them for longer, however they are the exact same dampers made by the exact same company, so the only differences are in the electronic tuning.

One of the joys of a pushrod V8 is that low-end torque, and for the typical "muscle car" guy, that has huge appeal. But, you trade off that for a flat powerband and a low redline. When you think about how the power is made, based on how strong it feels at 2000rpms, you would think that by 6000 your brain is going to be saying "OMG HOLY F***" with the power... but it doesn't. You largely don't get any top end surge whatsoever.

And I think that is part of the appeal of the high revving Voodoo. Similar to the high revving NA Porsches, Ferrari's etc, the engine rewards you near redline with its greatest power, the higher you rev the more shove you get. It makes you Want to rev the motor out, rewards you for doing so. With your engine it doesn't need to be revved out, and in my personal opinion, if the motor doesn't make you feel like it Wants to be revved out, then it won't make me want to either.

The ZL1 is a monster no doubt and a better performance car, but the 350/R is a better Sports car for drivers.
That is what I said, both Tremec 6 speeds but different where one is for higher rpms. You can hash out model numbers. Certainly, they are two different cars and have owned both. The above 6k rpm is a thrill and finding a track/road to keep it between 6-8k rpm is ideal so you can drool the entire time. BMW M cars are the same animal as well with no low end torque.

But the shift at 6500rpm in the ZL1 while you are still waiting for the GT350 to slowly get higher rpms, the ZL1 is already pulling away.

The GT350 is the lighter car and it does feel it and is more easily tossed around which can make for more excitement, or is it really just more out of control

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
^..it's not "out of control". Both cars are extremely well handling cars.

My2017CamaroZL1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
^..it's not "out of control". Both cars are extremely well handling cars.
Ok, let me re-state. There is Complete Control to Completely out of control, so my statement was on that scale only. Meaning there was a little less control using that scale for the GT350. I could have said that the ZL1 has more control. nuff said on control

Mr. Adair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT3

Perfectly written. This is why Porsche owners are adding GT350/R's for track use and not Camaro's. The high revving NA 5.2 was the difference for me and a simpler overall package. No offense..

Status
Not open for further replies.