Sponsored

manual trans gets noiser when warm

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
Ive noticed that my MT82 gets noiser as the temp warms up. Anything under a 3 hour drive (insert gilligans island music here) and it is OK. Anything longer and it sounds a little noisier. Still feels great and shifts great... just noisier! Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Tgats because the fluid warms up and thins out....less cussikn on parts and they make more noise. Pretty common.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Obviously...if its abnormally loud...id have it looked at by ford...not theyd actually fix it if tgere were something wrong lol...just normal noises lol

OP
OP

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Guys. I did the fluid upgrade on it, I thought it would help things out. Maybe Ill go back to factory fluids.... I cant say Im loving these gearboxes.

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Guard GT PP 401A
Yeah I've noticed this as well and I've also noticed it seems louder with the fluid I've put in it. But man does it shift better. :headbang:

Sponsored

OP
OP

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I've noticed this as well and I've also noticed it seems louder with the fluid I've put in it. But man does it shift better. :headbang:
I agree, it shifts SO much better with the fluid I put in it, its probably worth the noise. I just wonder if its more 'vulnerable' when its like this since there is less cushion from the fluid.:shrug:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If you can hear your transmission, your exhaust is not loud enough lol.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
funny...my car is the opposite, i can hear the trans when its cold but once it warms up it gets quiet..(or i hear the exhaust more?, it does have axle backs)

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
funny...my car is the opposite, i can hear the trans when its cold but once it warms up it gets quiet..(or i hear the exhaust more?, it does have axle backs)
Same. I actually am the few that don't mind this transmission. Although when swapping from my SI after a while it takes some getting used to. Honda sure knows how to make a butter smooth trans/shifter

OP
OP

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think thats all it is, Im just not used to this transmission. It feels different and notchy, and with all the horror stories of failure Im probably just overly paranoid, especially with a supercharger. The way it feels now is what my previous trannies felt like when they are about to fail. (hard getting into gear, noisy etc) yet it seems perfectly normal for this shit box.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think thats all it is, Im just not used to this transmission. It feels different and notchy, and with all the horror stories of failure Im probably just overly paranoid, especially with a supercharger. The way it feels now is what my previous trannies felt like when they are about to fail. (hard getting into gear, noisy etc) yet it seems perfectly normal for this shit box.
I always thought a notchy transmission just feels better.
My previous car RX-8 had notchy feel to it so I am used to the Mustang pretty quick.
You must had some kind of Honda before because they usually have shifters that are lack of feel.

OP
OP

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always thought a notchy transmission just feels better.
My previous car RX-8 had notchy feel to it so I am used to the Mustang pretty quick.
You must had some kind of Honda before because they usually have shifters that are lack of feel.

Actually I had Audi's and Porsches. While they pretty much sucked, they were at least smooth. My favorite so far is the T56 in my '68 Camaro RS/SS, that damn thing is a dream, I wish my Mustang felt like that.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Actually I had Audi's and Porsches. While they pretty much sucked, they were at least smooth. My favorite so far is the T56 in my '68 Camaro RS/SS, that damn thing is a dream, I wish my Mustang felt like that.
Audis are Porsches are not bad. If you want bad, try BMWs.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Aaaahhhh the MT82. 2018 cars have them, too. Meaning, I will not consider a 2018.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Wait so you guys got more noise when you switched out your fluid?

I just ordered the BG Syncromax II and I love the way my tranny shifts i just hate the whine it has, and I don't want a loud exhaust.

please tell me the syncromax doesn't add noise...
Sponsored