My Hellion experience- new forum member-LONG

OP
OP

16TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium/Auto, Oxford/Redline
Make sure you open Rate to 50/Max when on the dyno, thats the only way to get peak #'s. I've been able to open up 18-20psi at 35 & 40 Rate on some of my best pass's (9.3@152) but now I have a dedicated set of Welds and MT R's, going to open Rate to 45-50 next time out. Good luck, let me know if I can help!
Sai was running it on the dyno so I know it was done correctly. I'm running NT05Rs (305/19, 18 lbs.) and I discovered on my last couple of passes that they worked much better with a long, smoky burnout, which I wasn't doing earlier. I ran out of time to try to increase the rate but I'd be surprised if I could increase the rate into the 30s (wish/hope I can though). I know a dedicated track wheel/tire setup would work much better but I want to see how fast I can get it to run on the drag radials I use on the street and drive 60 miles to the track on. Thanks for the tips-152 is crazy fast-these engines are amazing!
Sponsored

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello all, I've been lurking on here for a while and thought I'd share my experience with the Hellion setup on my car...I have a 16 GT Premium auto that I purchased last March. I traded in my 13 GT500 (Grabber blue, 11k miles, beautiful) mostly because I couldn't ever get the shifter/clutch to work properly and saw how good the 5.0 ran with forced induction. I decided to go turbo after some debate and received my kit from Hellion (62/66 kit) in late September about 3 weeks after ordering it. Everything was packaged beautifully and easy to find all the parts. I worked on it here and there for about a month and got it done. A couple of areas of the instructions were a little ambiguous to me, but Jeff at Hellion was always very helpful and even sent me an extra v band that I broke, free of charge. I have supercharged cars in the past but this was my first foray into turbos and I probably called at least 10 times, always receiving great responses from Jeff-can't say enough about their customer service. The install was pretty involved, I'd say easily 2-3 times the amount of work vs. the whipple I had done on my previous 07, but everything fit perfectly. The kit comes with 7.5 lbs. Springs in the waste gates, and I initially ran on that. My tuner, Sai Li, is local to me and he street tuned it on the low boost until I could install my boostleash. A couple months later I installed the boostleash and we dyno tuned it to 12 lbs., with a final figure of 783/715 on a conservative tune (the initial 7.5 setting was 660/630, all on E85). The car is an animal. It is an absolute slug out of the hole because it needs a converter badly, but at test and tune it went 10.55 @143, with a 2.0 60', with high boost not hitting until halfway down the track due to traction issues. The car is as quiet as stock, looks and drives stock and has no heat issues, even on 90 degree days. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out so far, and once I get the converter and minor suspension pieces, it should easily meet my initial goal of 9s@140+. Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share my first experience with a turbo kit for others who may be hesitant like I was- don't be, this kit is outstanding and everything I hoped it would be.
Thank you for the kind words. We are true enthusiasts and love what we do! Thank you for having us a part of your build!

Team Hellion

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Interesting I always ramp mine in at 50 and don't have much of a issue wth traction. Beginning to think something is up with my car. Lol. My best time in the 1/8 is 6.7@110 1.7260ft leaving off the footbrake 2k rpm. Tss tuned.

Last edited:

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Interesting I always ramp mine in at 50 and don't have much of a issue wth traction. Beginning to think something is up with my car. Lol. My best time in the 1/8 is 6.7@110 1.7260ft leaving off the footbrake 2k rpm. Tss tuned.
My car annihilates the tires at 100mph with the Rate at 50. $550 will solve all of your problems.

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My car annihilates the tires at 100mph with the Rate at 50. $550 will solve all of your problems.
I know man. I want to make one more trip to the track with the transbrake before I switch tunes.

Sponsored

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
Congrats! I'm thinking to go FI with the Hellion kit, but my only hesitation is that my car is built for road racing and not drag. I'm just not sure how the car and kit will do under extreme conditions of WOT for 20mins sessions in 90Âş+ heat..

My friend us running a Procharger Stg 2 without issues, but I wanted something different.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I know man. I want to make one more trip to the track with the transbrake before I switch tunes.
Which trasnbrake ?
I sold my JMS before installing as heard too many horror stories .
There was they guy developing the single turbo kit who said he had one that works with a bump box but not heard from him in a while .
I am going to a double piston rear drag brake set up to see if it will help .

We have the same tuner and I too am thinking of ditching him since as you know I have had 2 engines fail .Not sure if necessary his fault but I have to wonder -since he has knock sensors off .

Which tuner area you going to swap to ?
I have heard great things about PBD and the TT cars he tunes run great .
I am also thinking Lund since he tunes my other car and his customer service is great .

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I installed the Jms transbrake and msd 2 step and r's working flawless. I'm debating Lund or palm beach. Leaning towards Lund if I make the switch.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...rbo-2016-s550-mustang-is-anything-but-docile/

Not sure you have seen this article .
Bad ass car .
The tuner( Chris Groves@ dyno's edge)is the guy engine builder is recommending.I think he also tunes for Hellion
Not sure he does remote tuning .

I am going to hold off on the trans brake ....and watch to see how your trany holds up .lol
If it does,I may consider he JMS again.
Sponsored