Sponsored

Review: Shaftmasters Direct Bolt-in Aluminum Driveshaft P/N FMS1517GTM35D

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Did you try to clock it?
No, I didn't. The shaft should be zero-balanced, so in theory clocking shouldn't make any dang difference. Guess it's a reasonable thing to try... but damn what a hassle. I could probably clock it without dropping the exhaust... maybe. The most tedious part is locking and unlocking the parking brake to hold everything still. Too scared to bend something by wedging a pry bar someplace to hold it still while tightening bolts.
Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Installed a brand new shaftmasters DS last weekend - it's a work of art for sure. Welds and workmanship are awesome. The updated shaft does include all hardware, a tube of loctite and instructions, including torque specs. Although they include a 3/8 10mm 12-pt socket, I don't know how you could use it - there's just not enough room on those bolts, so we ended up using a small 10mm box end wrench.

Stock driveshaft was 34lbs, shaftmasters weighed in at a svelte 19lb. Unfortunately the shaft does have a vibration (not severe but noticable) between 50 and 62 or so, which then mostly gets better until about 95 or so. Will be sending it back. The stock driveshaft was/is glass smooth. :frusty:

BTW, here's side by side with the stocker (500 miles and no rain makes the stock unit look kinda nice, eh?) Favorite part about the stock shaft is the sticker that says to throw it away if it's dropped.
Did you try re-clocking the driveshaft to see if the vibration went away?!?

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
No, I didn't. The shaft should be zero-balanced, so in theory clocking shouldn't make any dang difference. Guess it's a reasonable thing to try... but damn what a hassle. I could probably clock it without dropping the exhaust... maybe. The most tedious part is locking and unlocking the parking brake to hold everything still. Too scared to bend something by wedging a pry bar someplace to hold it still while tightening bolts.
Definitely worth trying. Almost all of my vibs went away when I did mine. Also try shimming the trans cross member down some. It seems the issues aren't the ds but the car. The ds pinion angle is said to be terrible on our cars.

I was able to clock mine with the exhaust on. The worst part is making sure the flange is clean before going back together and yes the parking brake. The 3rd time I did mine I had the wife just hold the brakes. Also only clock the REAR not the front

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The 3rd time I did mine I had the wife just hold the brakes.
Great idea. My wife *loves* helping me bleed brakes. LOL. Seriously though, she's cool about it. :love:

Mustang6g - bringing marriages closer together, one project at a time.

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
Great idea. My wife *loves* helping me bleed brakes. LOL. Seriously though, she's cool about it. :love:
One word: Speedbleeders

Wife will love you even more.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Yeah the shaft is 0 balanced but all the other driveline components may not be so good that is they they mark the shaft/flange for alignment. Mine is 3 holes from aligning the mark (180) and is smooth. I had a friends I did his was smoothest 2 holes ccw

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Yeah the shaft is 0 balanced but all the other driveline components may not be so good that is they they mark the shaft/flange for alignment. Mine is 3 holes from aligning the mark (180) and is smooth. I had a friends I did his was smoothest 2 holes ccw
Can you elaborate on this? My stock DS and pinion are both marked with a yellow spot for alignment, but there's no marks on the new DS.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Look closely at your driveshaft. Either on the flange or the shaft near the flangenthere is a white mark that aligns with the yellow mark on the flange of the differential.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Look closely at your driveshaft. Either on the flange or the shaft near the flangenthere is a white mark that aligns with the yellow mark on the flange of the differential.
Pretty sure there's no marks on the shaftmasters DS, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. Don't see any in the pics I have of it. Will take a peek when I'm back under the car tomorrow.

The shaftmasters instructions don't reference any marks or say anything about how it should be clocked to the pinion, or reclocking for that matter.

Went ahead and ordered a dynotech... got an event coming up and don't have time to f*ck around with this.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Quick note on my experience. Originally bought Shaftmasters, had vibration 45-65, clocked to all possible positions, followed all cleaning and torque guidelines, couldn't get it to go away.

Returned it, bought a Dynotech, first shot in and was flawless. Also, it was easier to install (no trans adapter plate, easier to get to bolts and torque).

Link to short writeup I did on the Dynotech: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62716&highlight=dynotech

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've heard from two major parts companies (that don't make driveshafts, but use them) that these cars really need a CV joint at the differential.
Sponsored