Sponsored

2nd 2017 gt350 motor replacement on the horizon

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 oxford white/black stripes
Back in January I purchased a 2017 gt350 and approximately four weeks later I ended up with a blown motor, although I was unable to figure out the cause, Ford replaced my motor with a new crate Voodoo and never communicated the source of failure. My old post led to much debate as to the possible causes for failure including poorly designed opg. Well, last week I noticed a faint fluttering sound when decelerating on my way home from work and thought maybe there was an issue with my AC blower/fan. After driving until I could exit freeway, I turned off car and restarted only to hear engine knock. Dealer checked oil and it was 7 quarts low, I just had a dealer perform oil change four weeks ago. My question is where did the oil go? I had no smoke or leaks, is this indicative of an oil cooler failure or oil pump issue. The issue developed very quickly and no low oil light came on. I will find out tomorrow what Ford wants to do but I think the only solution would be another new motor.
Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Sucks to hear. I just got my filter supplement today and the attached letter states that 1qt of oil consumed every 500 miles is normal and to check your oil at every fill up. That's some impressive consumption.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Back in January I purchased a 2017 gt350 and approximately four weeks later I ended up with a blown motor, although I was unable to figure out the cause, Ford replaced my motor with a new crate Voodoo and never communicated the source of failure. My old post led to much debate as to the possible causes for failure including poorly designed opg. Well, last week I noticed a faint fluttering sound when decelerating on my way home from work and thought maybe there was an issue with my AC blower/fan. After driving until I could exit freeway, I turned off car and restarted only to hear engine knock. Dealer checked oil and it was 7 quarts low, I just had a dealer perform oil change four weeks ago. My question is where did the oil go? I had no smoke or leaks, is this indicative of an oil cooler failure or oil pump issue. The issue developed very quickly and no low oil light came on. I will find out tomorrow what Ford wants to do but I think the only solution would be another new motor.
7 quarts in 4 weeks with no smoke or leak is impossible. If you are actually down 7 most likely the didnt put the correct amount of oil in.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Wouldn't a "low oil" light or indication come on somewhere if that was the case?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear this happened to you twice. Wow, that really sucks!

How many miles did you drive in those 4 weeks? All street miles, all road course, any other info you want to give out publicly?

Did you get under the car and look carefully at the underbody? I'm asking because maybe there was a leak and it happened far away from home and it was done leaking by the time you stopped. Seems like a stretch, but I agree that burning that much oil with no smoke also seems unlikely.

Did you look at the cooling system after the problem occurred?

Sponsored

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear this happened to you twice. Wow, that really sucks!

How many miles did you drive in those 4 weeks? All street miles, all road course, any other info you want to give out publicly?

Did you get under the car and look carefully at the underbody? I'm asking because maybe there was a leak and it happened far away from home and it was done leaking by the time you stopped. Seems like a stretch, but I agree that burning that much oil with no smoke also seems unlikely.

Did you look at the cooling system after the problem occurred?
I have driven approximately 4000 miles in 4 weeks, done freeway and city. I have never seen a drop of oil or smoke coming from my car. My first thought too was not enough oil was added but records show they did. Its not possible for 7 quarts to remain hidden through the oil cooler or in a line? When I received oil change, roughly 5000 miles after break in of new motor, I was never told that oil was low then or informed of a burning oil issue.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also I've never tracked the car and don't abuse it. I didn't get a chance to examine the cooling system after I heard knock.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Very interested in the outcome. Please post more info as it becomes available if you can.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very interested in the outcome. Please post more info as it becomes available if you can.
Originally I took car to a dealership in downtown sacramento, since another nearby dealer performed the motor replacement and oil change the car had to be towed back to them. Supposedly I will find out tomorrow what their plan of action is, since they are not allowed to open motor I can't imagine what set of diagnostics they can do, also the oil that was in the car has already been drained by first dealer.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Dealer checked oil and it was 7 quarts low, I just had a dealer perform oil change four weeks ago. My question is where did the oil go?
Based on what you have witnessed I'd say it was never there.

7 quarts in 4 weeks with no smoke or leak is impossible. If you are actually down 7 most likely the didnt put the correct amount of oil in.
I agree.

I have driven approximately 4000 miles in 4 weeks, done freeway and city. I have never seen a drop of oil or smoke coming from my car. My first thought too was not enough oil was added but records show they did.
There should be a trail within the dealer whereby the parts department transferred to the service department, X quarts of oil for your car. I'm curious as to exactly what your receipt says as well.

Sponsored

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
Did you check the oil level yourself after the dealer performed the last oil change?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Did you check the oil level yourself after the dealer performed the last oil change?
Yes, this seems like a painful "trust but verify" lesson.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Again, most cars have a "low oil" indicator.. 7 quarts low would have to be throwing some type of indicator!

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
1000 miles a week! Man you are sure enjoying the driving.

Given some of the concerns raised on this forum regarding oil usage, I have been and would recommend checking oil level every 500 miles until you are pretty sure if you have excessive consumption or not, then every 1000 miles. Also always check yourself after oil change especially if someone else did it. Just common sense. No disrespect intended but wouldn't go 4000 miles without checking again.

The 1 quart per 500 miles in the manual I believe is a max number for very aggressive/track driving and does not apply to normal driving usage in general. Nevertheless, see above.
Sponsored