Sponsored

black smoke on cold start

number1olddog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB lightning blue PP
Just hit 4K miles on my PP eco. Mods done are minimal(MM catch can,C&L blow off adapter,KN air filter and MBRP catback). A buddy of mine wanted to hear the C&L blow off adapter today and he pointed out that I had black smoke coming out of my right rear exhaust tip. No tunes done yet. I think this is normal on Eco's just want to make sure.. Thanks
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Have you emptied or checked the CC? I don't have any smoke coming out of mine but the exhaust tips are always black, both of them equally.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have never had any black smoke out of mine. With the stock tune the tips would get black quite quickly. With a tune much less soot on the tips.

OP
OP

number1olddog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no oil collected in 2k miles yet but it is wet inside the can if that makes sense. Im thinking the C&L bypass adpater might be causing it since this is the first time it has happened but that doesn't really make sense either. I just started it again on a cold start and it didn't happen so Ill try it again tomorrow.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
It wouldn't be anything to do with the C&L Bypass Valve Adapter. All it does is dump the air that would be passed to the intake to atmosphere.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's funny that I was talking to someone about a new Explorer with the same 2.3L engine would have black smoke coming out of the exhaust everytime it pulls away.
Maybe that just the nature of the turbo engine?
I mean there is a moment where the engine is running rich as the pressure building up?

OP
OP

number1olddog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's funny that I was talking to someone about a new Explorer with the same 2.3L engine would have black smoke coming out of the exhaust everytime it pulls away.
Maybe that just the nature of the turbo engine?
I mean there is a moment where the engine is running rich as the pressure building up?
I talked to a mechanic a little while ago about it and he said its normal on a cold startup. Just the nature of the eco engine. I also pulled my MM catch can canister and noticed about an ounce of oil finally. I have been playing with the bypass adapter a lot so this makes sense. I am a believer in the can now. Thanks for the replies.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
Someone can correct me (and they usually) if I'm wrong, but a rule of thumb is black smoke = fuel burn and white = oil. So a black burn on startup probably is just a little rich until O2 adjusts.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Someone can correct me (and they usually) if I'm wrong, but a rule of thumb is black smoke = fuel burn and white = oil. So a black burn on startup probably is just a little rich until O2 adjusts.
White would be coolant.
Oil is blue.
Black is too much fuel.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
Yeah, I was gonna put white/bluish but in the reaview it usually just looks white. Had some valve guide seals going bad once and it smoked for a few seconds on startup. You'll probably notice other things if you've got coolant in the cylinder!

Sponsored

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
The factory tune does run extremely rich so i am not surprised if black smoke comes out of the back. I have seen 10.1 afr at WOT when on stock tune which is way over the top.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Just want to put this out there that fuel can can show up as white smoke. This is worst case scenario with a failed injector though. Happened to me in my EB Flex.
Sponsored