Sponsored

GT350 vs 2017 ZL1

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
When I didn't see any helmets I knew this was a waste of 10 minutes. Their closing minutes was about right but even then a bit biased. Personally I would have liked to see them actually drive the car on a track. Actually drive it to beat one another and their times. Then swap cars and do it all over again.

Then start the discussion and review.
That didn't really bother me, not hard to get Nurburgring times for cars, i am more interested to hear about the details beyond what you can see in a 0-60 time or top speed, or lap times. I want to understand which car gives the driver the best in seat satisfaction. Most cars at this level are all beyond my capabilities as a driver at their limits so the subjective insights become more valuable.
Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
That didn't really bother me, not hard to get Nurburgring times for cars, i am more interested to hear about the details beyond what you can see in a 0-60 time or top speed, or lap times. I want to understand which car gives the driver the best in seat satisfaction. Most cars at this level are all beyond my capabilities as a driver at their limits so the subjective insights become more valuable.
Fair enough, but did they even drive the other car? I guess that was my point. For example first thing that struck me odd was the AC vents on the ZL1. That would bug me to no end but that is just a personal preference.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
When I didn't see any helmets I knew this was a waste of 10 minutes. Their closing minutes was about right but even then a bit biased. Personally I would have liked to see them actually drive the car on a track. Actually drive it to beat one another and their times. Then swap cars and do it all over again.

Then start the discussion and review.
Swapping cars would have a been good idea.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
The ZL1 1LE starts at $69,995. Think that is a bargain for what it is going to accomplish on the track.

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
The ZL1 1LE starts at $69,995. Think that is a bargain for what it is going to accomplish on the track.
In a year, i would minus 5 grand out of that msrp, so $65,000 for a pretty serious track car. Currently i ve seen people paying 59 grand for brand new zl1's.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The question becomes whether it's $20k better than an SS/1LE. For some, it will be. But I think I'd appreciate the lighter touch of an SS or a GT350 over the top speed capability of forced induction.

Norm

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
How much is a grand sport vette? When motortrend tested the manual zl1 with lower tire pressures, i believe they bested the grand sport on a certain track. I m assuming this zl1 1le shall best the grand sport at all times.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Swapping cars would have a been good idea.
We only saw what was cut into the video, and notice that the Camaro guy switched at the end, so I'm pretty confident that this was just a light-hearted summary of a more complete review. I'm pretty sure they did a lot more in testing than what was shown in the video.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
We only saw what was cut into the video, and notice that the Camaro guy switched at the end, so I'm pretty confident that this was just a light-hearted summary of a more complete review. I'm pretty sure they did a lot more in testing than what was shown in the video.
Could be, thought did cross my mind. I didn't get that from watching the video. Light hearted is fitting.

I guess for me if it was really comparing it goes back to swapping cars, driving them on the street, on the track, curves, and straight line. Then get all nerdy and start talking about what ifs and how they compare and contrast. Sure, one has 640 HP and torque but what does that mean and how can it help. Does it help in 1/4 mile only or can it help on a track. If track, what kind of track. Spirited short curvy tracks compared to say something with longer straight track before a turn whereas the GT350 stays in its power band or can rev to 8,000 + RPM's and the GM stops.

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Could be, thought did cross my mind. I didn't get that from watching the video. Light hearted is fitting.

I guess for me if it was really comparing it goes back to swapping cars, driving them on the street, on the track, curves, and straight line. Then get all nerdy and start talking about what ifs and how they compare and contrast. Sure, one has 640 HP and torque but what does that mean and how can it help. Does it help in 1/4 mile only or can it help on a track. If track, what kind of track. Spirited short curvy tracks compared to say something with longer straight track before a turn whereas the GT350 stays in its power band or can rev to 8,000 + RPM's and the GM stops.
I see what you are saying, however they are mostly using common judgement too. Its not like one car has twice as rubber or weights 500 lbs more to actually start affecting the real physics behind it. Regarding the 8000 rpm cornering, knowing the peak torque difference of 221 lbft, and voodoo's peak torque vs lt4's lowest torque (at 6500rpm) gives a clue of which car can out accelerate out of a corner. You have to be on an unrealistically really high gear on the camaro for the gt350 to out accelerate the camaro!

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I see what you are saying, however they are mostly using common judgement too. Its not like one car has twice as rubber or weights 500 lbs more to actually start affecting the real physics behind it. Regarding the 8000 rpm cornering, knowing the peak torque difference of 221 lbft, and voodoo's peak torque vs lt4's lowest torque (at 6500rpm) gives a clue of which car can out accelerate out of a corner. You have to be on an unrealistically really high gear on the camaro for the gt350 to out accelerate the camaro!
Or if you push the Camaro's throttle pedal down 1/8" too far and spin the tires the GT350 will also out accelerate it.

Orange_cru$h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO Premium Pkg 6A 3.15 18"
To me as much as I love the gt350, the Zl1 is a better deal $. Even if the GT500 comes out with 100hp more it will cost about 15-20k more and still there's no guarantee it will perform/handle much better than the ZL1 other than in straight line. For straight line acceleration the best deal is to buy a regular GT slap a supercharger and pulley it for less than $50k.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
You may have heard that the Mustang has IRS now.

And if the 350 handling is anything to go by, I don't think the 500 is only going to win in a straight line.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So, the Mustang kicked the ZL-1's butt in the Motor Trend comparison. Surprising that with so much extra torque and HP, the Camaro couldn't do better in handling.
Sponsored