Sponsored

Hard to shift gear and clunky noise

Sekhon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet SS
So today i rented a brand new Mustang GT premium w/ 20" wheels (33 miles on ODO) from a rental company for just shits and giggle :headbonk:. This is my first time driving a mustang GT and I noticed it required some effort to shift through the gears. If I shift over 3K rpm then i had slight issue shifting between 1-4 gears but if i shift below 3K rpm then it shifts flawless but 5th and 6th gears are fucking nightmare. It requires some good effort to put them in place. I have a good experience in driving manual transmission cars so I know what I am doing but i dont know if this is a common issue with MT-82 transmissions or the rental car's transmission is actually messed up.

Secondly, there is a weird clunky noise when i coast in 6th gear at around 70mph. I am not sure if this is somehow related to the hard shifting or this is common for MT-82 transmission.
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i have a mt trans in my 16.. i think it takes some getting use to, finding the spot is all cause i been driving manuals all my life . and it took me a few goes to find the sweet spot for gears .. now that i have it she shifts easy.. i pretty much shift with 2 fingers . low rpms, i just easy it in if your doing it fast then that could be why.. and im on stock fluid and have 6k miles on her

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well it's a rental so it's probably been abused.
My MT82 is pretty flawless.

OP
OP

Sekhon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet SS
Well it's a rental so it's probably been abused.
My MT82 is pretty flawless.
it only has 33 miles on the ODO lol. I guess someone banged up the car real bad. Also, do you guys hear any clunky noise coming from the shifter?

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
When I had my manual if I was using any real throttle I would be locked out of 3rd gear about 50% of the time on the 2-3 shift. I would have to drop back into neutral and then go to 3rd. 5th and 6th did pretty well and I don't remember any issues coasting in 6th, all my clunking was around town and coming to a stop. Maybe things would have gotten better with more miles, but I traded the car in with 3k on the ODO.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
it only has 33 miles on the ODO lol. I guess someone banged up the car real bad. Also, do you guys hear any clunky noise coming from the shifter?
Not really.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Each gear has its own sweetspot rpm wise. With 33 miles it should shift pretty easy. Mine did up until about 1500 miles then the mt82 showed its true colors.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
13k miles and its notchy here...the clunk when slow shifting is beyond annoying. Next mod will be to fix the shift...noise and tighten up the drivetrain slop

TheDoctor66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Name: Sylvanas
13k miles and its notchy here...the clunk when slow shifting is beyond annoying. Next mod will be to fix the shift...noise and tighten up the drivetrain slop
Do we know what is making all of these noises? This transmission has to be the noisest one ever. I get thuds and clunks when i push the clutch in at slow speeds. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Do we know what is making all of these noises? This transmission has to be the noisest one ever. I get thuds and clunks when i push the clutch in at slow speeds. Not sure if this is normal or not.
Definitely normal for this car, otherwise not what I would call "normal" noises for a drivetrain. This thread and video and will shed some light on all those clunks/thuds.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80925

I have almost 29,000 miles on mine and no complaints. An upgraded shifter, clutch spring delete, and transmission fluid swap will make a ton of difference in the shifting and driving experience.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Just general lack of insulation being made cheap.
If you want, take apart the center console and carpet and add sound proof material.

mm2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Are you talking about the clunking sounds when you push the clutch in while going slow? Mine bugs the ever living hell out of me. When moving the car a little bit while parking, say, reversing to make a three point turn, when feathering the clutch (not letting it all the way out) it makes a damn loud clunking noise once you push it back in. Like *clunk clunk clunk*. Almost as if the input or output shaft is riding in an oval bearing and it can just bang around.

Honestly drives me so mad some days I want to just get out of the car and walk away and hope it spontaneously combusts lol

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The clunking sound is a combination of rubber bushings and back back lash in the gears.
When you applying torque, the gear lash gets taken up. When you release the torque, gear turns the other way banging against each other.
It's more obvious when PP because of the 3.73 rear end.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
The clunking sound is a combination of rubber bushings and back back lash in the gears.
When you applying torque, the gear lash gets taken up. When you release the torque, gear turns the other way banging against each other.
It's more obvious when PP because of the 3.73 rear end.
Good to know, now that I'm more used to the car I hear stuff.

In normal driving, every shift, clutch in *thud* clutch out *thud*.
Sponsored