Sponsored

6R80 for road racing?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Does anyone know if the auto transmissions in the GT's have the same issues that the manuals in the 16' GT350 Tech cars had? I know they're totally different transmissions but do the autos have overheating problems if ran on the track for extended periods of time? Do the 6r80's have transmission coolers? It may be a dumb question but I know very little about transmissions and am hoping to get in a track day sometime this summer. Excuse me for my ignorance on the issue. :)
Sponsored

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
You shoud have a gauge with trans temp. Keep an eye on it and change the oil sometimes during the car's life.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
With the stock stall you should be ok, but as mentioned it would be a good idea to keep an eye on temps.

I think most autos nowadays route the transmission fluid through the radiator for a little bit of cooling, so that should help. But someone with an auto can confirm or deny that.

IMO, I would worry more with your diff, coolant, oil and brake temps before the auto with a stock stall...but that's a different conversation.

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
I track the car sometimes, but it certainly isn't a race car. I never had problems with trans temp but I never tracked it more than 3/4 hours with proper cool down laps each 20/30 mins (due to problems with brakes which pedal goes straight in the floor).

What do you mean for "extended periods of time"?

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I don't mean like long periods of racing, I meant like 20min runs. I see some of the Tech guys go into limp mode after like 10-15min.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I track the car sometimes, but it certainly isn't a race car. I never had problems with trans temp but I never tracked it more than 3/4 hours with proper cool down laps each 20/30 mins (due to problems with brakes which pedal goes straight in the floor).

What do you mean for "extended periods of time"?
The stock 14" brakes give you issues? I've been thinking about getting the 15" Brembos and better fluid.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Can't really compare the Shelby with the regular GT, those have more output and heatup things faster than 5.0 guys.

What you should be comparing to are other G road racers and the issues they experience. There's a huge cooling thread in the racing section.

I see some of the Tech guys go into limp mode after like 10-15min.

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
The stock 14" brakes give you issues? I've been thinking about getting the 15" Brembos and better fluid.
Yes, @Imola, 3rd lap and I floored the brake pedal.

Now, when they get hot starts to vibrate. I suppose are squared but in the normal driving there are no issues.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I tracked mine for all day, 6 sessions at 20min each. The morning was cool and rainy, but the afternoon was warm and dry.

I put the gauge so as to display a nice list of parameters, one which was tranny, and head temp too. Neither ran any warmer than during daily driving.

I also changed my diff fluid to 75W/140 (IIRC) before that day. I wrapped the exhaust mid-pipes around the diff, but I doubt that was necessary.

Car ran flawless, brakes, too. Biggest issues was AS tires on stock alignment. Wish I had camber plates and more rear camber. Maybe next time.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tracked mine for all day, 6 sessions at 20min each. The morning was cool and rainy, but the afternoon was warm and dry.

I put the gauge so as to display a nice list of parameters, one which was tranny, and head temp too. Neither ran any warmer than during daily driving.

I also changed my diff fluid to 75W/140 (IIRC) before that day. I wrapped the exhaust mid-pipes around the diff, but I doubt that was necessary.

Car ran flawless, brakes, too. Biggest issues was AS tires on stock alignment. Wish I had camber plates and more rear camber. Maybe next time.
OK, good to know. I'm planning to get some better tires and lighter wheels in the future. I do have the factory summer tires but they're not that great either.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, @Imola, 3rd lap and I floored the brake pedal.

Now, when they get hot starts to vibrate. I suppose are squared but in the normal driving there are no issues.
You have the 14" GT calipers? I wonder how much difference the PP Brembos would really make in an instance like that.

zanGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
You have the 14" GT calipers? I wonder how much difference the PP Brembos would really make in an instance like that.
Yes, 14". For what i've seen the brembos makes a big difference. Here in europe all mustangs are with pp and I didn't heard anyone talking about brake problems. I'm the only with 14's and problems.
Sponsored