Sponsored

GT Owners - Happy with the power and grunt?

Are you happy with the GT's power?

• Yes, its perfect for how I use it

Votes: 180 48.6%
  • Yes, but its a bit much

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • No. I wish it had another 50 HP

Votes: 86 23.2%
  • Hellz No. It needs another 100 at least...

Votes: 101 27.3%

• Total voters

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Curious as to what you all think. This is the first car I've owned where honestly I feel the power, torque and delivery through the rev range are just right given the weight of the car and performance one can exploit on a street and autocross. Lots of room to grow as well on mastering RWD high HP with the various modes etc...

I wouldnt mind a more aggressive throttle calibration in sport + mode, but otherwise its mint. (Pedalmax anyone :-)?)

Others cars I've owned in the past had more power but needed to be revved the hell out (not really possible most of the time) to get the juice, or turbo lag (With a sudden spike in torque), too little power for the chassis etc.

I've also driven cars (especially LS3 engine :D) and even LT1 and felt those were happiest being 'lazy'. And of course there are cars with so much power that its a liability in turns and pretty much anywhere except a drag strip! Never driven a Hellcat but would imagine that would fall in said category.
Vote!
Sponsored

Last edited:

ebolamonkey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP TY
Happy with the amount of power, but given that I drive a lot in the city, I do wish the torque peak came a bit before 4000rpm

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Happy with the amount of power, but given that I drive a lot in the city, I do wish the torque peak came a bit before 4000rpm
A tune would help with that.

Sponsored

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
I am perfectly fine with the power level the GT has for what I use it for, which is a daily driven commuter and a occasional weekend cruiser. Does that mean I won't modify to get more? Not one bit.

FTR, I voted 1.

magnetic5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Voted for 1 as well. For my daily driving needs it has enough power and noise to keep me happy. That dose not mean I would say no to a free supercharge upgrade if someone were to offer me one :D

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I was a bit disappointed when I test drove the M6 with the 3.31 gears. I had to downshift from 4th to 3rd in the city to keep up with traffic. Maybe I just needed to press harder on the accelerator?
Part of the reason I went with the PP and short gears. I tested an auto 5.0 (which is supposed to be faster by a hair, no?). There were 4 people in the car and I had it to the floor and it really didn't want to go.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Coming from the old 4.6, I'm more than happy with the near 50% leap in HP from that engine, and 100 more foot-pounds. But it would definitely be nice to get torque sooner in the RPM band for city/commuting but I knew the Coyote was happier at higher RPMs before buying so it was expected.

For my needs/wants on a daily basis the stock engine is great.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
My GT/PP is my daily driver since I've switched from commuting on motorcycles.

The GT is the quickest (well, aside from that one crazy Camaro that I owned for one day until I doubled my investment the following day) and best-handling car I've ever owned.

That said, I spent ten years solely on motorcycles -- day in and day out, across lots of countries and in virtually every conceivable weather (the only major weather pattern in which I don't think I've ridden has been a tornado). Even a weak bike has a better power-to-weight ratio than the GT. If I were to get even near the power-to-weight ratio of my "fun" bikes ('08 B-King, '10 MTS1200) I'd need roughly 1,100 horsepower in the Mustang.

So, yeah, sometimes I hit the gas and it feels underpowered. I was thinking today that about 550-600hp would be ideal. The other day I was driving solo on an empty road late at night and I whacked it open on a pit lane to a restricted track on a private circuit and hit 115mph. It was fun, but the car was certainly working. On either of my fun bikes 115mph comes up in third gear and I get there much sooner. (For a while I owned a turbocharged Hayabusa. I once hit an indicated 160mph in third gear. However, my speedo was undergeared due to a larger front sprocket and reported roughly 12% UNDER my actual speed!)

Ideally, yeah, I could use another 100 horsepower. It would be completely unnecessary, but fun. :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Coming from the old 4.6, I'm more than happy with the near 50% leap in HP from that engine, and 100 more foot-pounds. But it would definitely be nice to get torque sooner in the RPM band for city/commuting but I knew the Coyote was happier at higher RPMs before buying so it was expected.

For my needs/wants on a daily basis the stock engine is great.
My GT/PP is my daily driver since I've switched from commuting on motorcycles.

The GT is the quickest (well, aside from that one crazy Camaro that I owned for one day until I doubled my investment the following day) and best-handling car I've ever owned.

That said, I spent ten years solely on motorcycles -- day in and day out, across lots of countries and in virtually every conceivable weather (the only major weather pattern in which I don't think I've ridden has been a tornado). Even a weak bike has a better power-to-weight ratio than the GT. If I were to get even near the power-to-weight ratio of my "fun" bikes ('08 B-King, '10 MTS1200) I'd need roughly 1,100 horsepower in the Mustang.

Ideally, yeah, I could use another 100 horsepower. It would be completely unnecessary, but fun. :)
Agreed with both of you, its easy to get calibrated by what you owned prior. My last cars torque peaked a lot later in the rpm band compared to the Stang, so while it was more powerful, the Stang feels better to me.

Supercharged Hayabusa? OMG. Those things are literally rockets, no way I could trust myself on one. Insane!!!!!

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I was a bit disappointed when I test drove the M6 with the 3.31 gears. I had to downshift from 4th to 3rd in the city to keep up with traffic. Maybe I just needed to press harder on the accelerator?
Part of the reason I went with the PP and short gears. I tested an auto 5.0 (which is supposed to be faster by a hair, no?). There were 4 people in the car and I had it to the floor and it really didn't want to go.
I am perfectly fine with the power level the GT has for what I use it for, which is a daily driven commuter and a occasional weekend cruiser. Does that mean I won't modify to get more? Not one bit.

FTR, I voted 1.
I keep hearing its conservative throttle mappings. There are a few threads with a TON of posts from folks who got the JMS Pedalmax and said it made the car feel like a rocket on throttle application (reduce throttle lag while still creating a throttle by wire linear feel). A bunch of people also mentioned the effect was more than the tune they had! I'd recommend reaching out to some of these folks to see if it increases the sensation of power and grunt around town, I think it does from what I have read.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I'm torn between 1st and 4th option. It is plenty for what I use it for but I keep buying mods nonstop!
Sponsored