Sponsored

3M tape for attaching side fender badge?

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Any recommendations that may be already at a local autozone, advanced auto parts, etc? I just got some and realized I got tape that is waay too damn thick and it looks like the emblem is sticking out big time. The tape was also thick and only enough to put one strip down the middle, leaving the edges kind of bending out a little bit. Fortunately it wasn't stuck onto the fender badge, so I just took it right off after I realized how thick it was.

I know this is something I could Google, but I've tried getting thinner and thinner tape 2x and it's still too thick. I've also tried some 3M glue for emblems on cars, but it just leaves a big mess and takes forever and a day to dry.

Gonna see if mods can remove this thread after a few replies before the heat comes. I've checked with advanced auto parts and the thinnest they have is half an inch..

Thanks guys. :frusty: :frusty:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
AutoZone has the same tape, but you can actually stretch it thinning it out in the process. its about $7 bucks a roll.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
AutoZone has the same tape, but you can actually stretch it thinning it out in the process. its about $7 bucks a roll.
Is that the normal way to make it flush and stick to the fender badge? Thanks for your input.

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Is that the normal way to make it flush and stick to the fender badge? Thanks for your input.
I am not sure is this the normal way, but I did this to my Silverado back in 2009 when my crazy ex girl friend ripped out my side door molding from my passenger side door. Still hanging on since 2009.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I am not sure is this the normal way, but I did this to my Silverado back in 2009 when my crazy ex girl friend ripped out my side door molding from my passenger side door. Still hanging on since 2009.
Haha damn man. Gotcha. Thanks a lot man!

Sponsored

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Haha damn man. Gotcha. Thanks a lot man!
No problem man. I would say stretching should still work as both sides still stay sticky and are still joined in the center.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
1/2" is the width not the thickness. I put it on the emblem and then cut the width down with a razor knife.
True, yeah I've misunderstood the dimensions but still seemed a bit too thick for an emblem with just a flat back. I ended up just using the 3M adhesive glue and carefully spreading it around the back of it. It's much more flat than the tape could have ever gotten. Finally got it down and avoided a mess this time around.

Thanks for everyone's help and feedback!

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Home Depot has the 3M outdoor mounting tape that is nice and thin. I've used it to mount tank badges on motorcycles. Tough stuff. Make sure you have it lined up properly because it is hard to get the badge off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Thanks guys. I ended up getting it to work with the 3M adhesive glue. Actually worked perfectly the second time around when being more careful with how much I put on the back of the emblem.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
So, did you have one coming off from the factory too? My passenger side is loose. Has been from day 1.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So, did you have one coming off from the factory too? My passenger side is loose. Has been from day 1.
Nope. They were on there nice and tight for me. I really just wanted to go for a different look and majority of my mods are from Roush. I think the badge looks and feels great there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Did you remove the 5.0, or just badge below it? I'm curious to know if there are any alignment holes behind the stock badging. I'm part of the Coyote 5.0 group badge order and one of my thoughts was to remove the 5.0 fender emblems and put these new ones on it instead.
BTW, Love the Roush mods you did. I had my car less than a week (4 days to be exact) and my sons friend let his foot off the clutch and nailed the side of my house and I had to have a new fascia and grill put on it.
I was hoping like hell that the Roush was out, but this was back in Nov. of last year when they were first being delivered.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Did you remove the 5.0, or just badge below it? I'm curious to know if there are any alignment holes behind the stock badging. I'm part of the Coyote 5.0 group badge order and one of my thoughts was to remove the 5.0 fender emblems and put these new ones on it instead.
BTW, Love the Roush mods you did. I had my car less than a week (4 days to be exact) and my sons friend let his foot off the clutch and nailed the side of my house and I had to have a new fascia and grill put on it.
I was hoping like hell that the Roush was out, but this was back in Nov. of last year when they were first being delivered.
I only had the 5.0 badge itself, and there were definitely 2 holes behind it. For my passenger side, the first hole was right on top of the 5, and the second hole was on the bottom of the 0 for me. On the driver side, I believe it was below the 5 and on top of the 0 for me -- can't recall exactly though.

Thanks a lot man! Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like you replaced the fascia with the factory one?
Sponsored